Inspiration fodder

For anything else, questions, discussion, etc.
Talancir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Talancir » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:47 pm

A wise man said, "We are the tales we tell." From what do you get your inspiration? What elements of things you've absorbed make up your character(s)?

This is a thread for 'unsanctioned' works related to our favorite universe, but not written by anyone currently employed by any of Games Workshop's iterations.

Here is a Warhammer 40k crossover with Neon Genesis Evangelion. The author tried to reboot it and apparently disappeared, but his original work is still crazy awesome.

Aaaand I just found this lovely nugget.

CyGamer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby CyGamer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Who says the future has to be grimdark? Matt Ward that's who.

Zink

Postby Zink » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:32 pm

[REDACTED] CONSPIRACY WAS POSTED?

SHIT

also I thought Shinji&Warhammer was p nice, though it gets a bit pretentious with the writing and jokes near the end.

Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis

Postby Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:08 pm

The adventures of gav the ogryn.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Gav_and_Bob
Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis.
Rob the Ogryn.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:21 pm

The Guy Who Cried Grendel has to be one of my favorite stories..
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Guy_Who_Cried_Grendel
Main:

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:22 pm

[Raises hand] I feel impossibly wanky posting my own work in this topic, but here's a long-running IG story with occasional crayon illustrations:
https://mordian183.wordpress.com

Not really updated since mid-2015, but after chatting about it last night, I'm throwing the full thing back up.

I haven't really read a lot of 3rd party fiction, so I shall stare fixedly at this topic. :D

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

rodbob

Postby rodbob » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:54 pm

Doing the work of the Emperor is its own reward.

Characters:

Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis

Postby Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Old man Henderson is one of the best stories I have read
Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis.
Rob the Ogryn.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42

vengence angel

Postby vengence angel » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:20 am

Agreed.
##Thought for the day## you're life for the Emperor, your body for the Mechanicum.
Tech priest A1D1N

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:33 am

Rodbob, in a nod to you and your praetorians, I recommend To Do And Die by Patrick Mercer. It's a great account of the Crimean War and would probably add some flavor to draw from as an additional source.

I would also recommend Band Of Brothers (HBO adaption and the novel by Stephen Ambrose).

rodbob

Postby rodbob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Doing the work of the Emperor is its own reward.

Characters:

QuothTheRaven

Postby QuothTheRaven » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Oh dang. That's neat!

Bear

Postby Bear » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:10 pm

I really liked a lot of that Krieg stuff, especially the first few and the one that's like 'sometimes you feel very alone'. I know that they don't look exactly the same, but I can't help but think of the spitalars from Degenisis.

WARNING: naked man butt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tw3KaMr8wk

They actually look pretty close to a krieg trooper, imo. o3o (Also apparently tts now have trailers, because shush.)

Additionally these are the pictures that inspired Makarovs homeworld. Less impressive than the video there, but still something that inspired me.

http://imgur.com/a/5fQSZ

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!

DeMarchese

Postby DeMarchese » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:21 am

Glad to see you like my Spain.
Are you also spanish like me?

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:54 am

I am not, sorry. I'm from the US. I do think that Spain is super pretty from what I've seen, but I didn't know that those pictures were of Spain. I just found them on tumblr.

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm of Filipino-Spanish-Irish descent, but the inspiration for my army, if it isn't readily apparent, is Greco-Macedonian. I'd been greatly inspired by the accounts of the wars of Persia and Greece, and the reign of Alexander the Great. Generally, I watch the movies 300, its sequel, and Alexander when I sit down to paint.

Fun fact: Aislyn won't get promoted to the Pezhetairoi and the Phalanx until he uses his sword in close combat.

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:45 pm

WWII bunker.
Just found that both interesting and fucking terrifying.
Attachments
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1341.JPG (255.5 KiB) Viewed 9770 times

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:51 pm

A Krieger bunker. The Germans inside that bunker lived, if memory serves.

The_Worker

Postby The_Worker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:47 am

Military history, the Imperial Guard Codexes from 2nd Edition through to 4th (and to a lesser extent 5th and 6th), various Forgeworld tomes, the Gaunts' Ghosts, Ciaphas Cain, and various Imperial Guard books (particularly 15 Hours). I also get inspiration from other players - the All Guardsman Party RP is hilarious, for example, but a well built army can be just as inspiring. It's also worth reading stuff like The Good Soldier Svjek, and All Quiet on the Western Front, or Her Privates We, too.