Inspiration fodder

For anything else, questions, discussion, etc.
Aishachan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Aishachan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:51 am

I also have my own feelings, though I understand people getting attached to their characters. Pcs are very personal and people care about them and there's nothing wrong with that.

Just in my opion if there's no risk of failure or consequences why go with an rp with dice and chance involved? Why not write a book? Why not completely free form with no dice? The chance and actual risk involved- both for failure and for greatness- is what makes me like rping. If the pcs will win no matter what is are at no serious risk then are they actually needed? There is no risk, and so the rewards are meaningless. If things are going so well that success is assured the actions of exemplary people that are the pcs are actually pointless and unneeded. Failure, sacrifice and setbacks make interesting people and stories and sometimes in interesting stories people do die. Look at GOT.

Granted I don't think that death should be in petty or pointless ways but that's what fate points are for. =)

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 am

For the same reasons Continues have existed in videogames since their inception.

People accept failure, but many of them wish to control their own end.

PC death or retirement is something that should be discussed with a GM before a game starts.
Personally I have characters I would argue against dying.

For example I have Raymond Sr in a string of various 40K settings, and the agreement has always been his "death" in character is permanent retirement, so he may wander off into a different game system in some spirit.

Gaskell in comparison died, and died totally. He wasn't a rogue, it didn't fit for him to limp off.

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

Warsmith Wolf

Postby Warsmith Wolf » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:42 pm

One thing I've learned from years of RP is that death is a highly undervalued narrative tool. Granted, I'm more accepting of death for certain characters than others, but if the situation demands it then that's just how it goes.
Ferrum honore veniat.

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:58 pm

I'm in agreement with WW.

And would like to add; If it helps the story and adds weight to the narrative, then a death is well worth it.

I should hope I die a meaningful death, at least, if the die call for it.

And another thought that might be a little off topic; I feel that in a lot of games I've played in, too many people are afraid of failure. Failure doesn't put a halt to the story, you can continue to fail forward and find a new solution.
Main:

InquisitorVawn

Postby InquisitorVawn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:24 pm

There are plenty of serious narrative consequences without immediately reverting to permadeath. There's plenty of reason to want varying levels of risk, or to want a degree of fate to handle the story without wanting characters immediately to die.

Death can be a narrative tool, it can also be a lazy punishment from a bad GM who can't think of a more creative way to handle a failure.

CyGamer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby CyGamer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:09 pm

As a long time GM, I feel that players often try to hard to stop a characters death to the point were it stops the entire campaign just to bring back Billy the lv2 fighter. Yes having your character dies sucks, especially when the dice gods will it, but it shouldn't be a end to everything. I often give some leeway when it comes to death like letting the player give a final word or die saving another, but it sucks when the player fights it and tries to use every loophole to get out of it.

Two rules I've learned are such:
1) if your character is dead, try and have some grace. Let them die in peace.
2) the more you try and fight it the more a GM will resent it. They didn't want you to die, but the dice fall as they may.

Who says the future has to be grimdark? Matt Ward that's who.

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Mordian Characters:

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Or a Grapnel and good upper body strength!

/

TheRedauthar

Postby TheRedauthar » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Maybe I come from a different background, but my first RP (StarWars D6) I died so often it actually became boring. I joined the game late so the enemies were a bit tougher and I'm just unlucky with dice so I died quite frequently. It stopped being fun for me and everyone involved if after all building on one character only to scrap them and rebuild them.

I've also played with a GM where literally every time something went wrong a player died. Again it got to the point that it was boring to draft up new characters every time. This time however it was more the GM would go out of the way to make things ridiculously difficult. You couldn't grow attached to a character or anyone else's because they'd be gone in a couple turns.

It may just be me, but in a world such as 40K, with the "advances" technology has had such as Cybernetic Limbs, Plastic Surgery, and Dreadnoughts, there are plenty of outs that don't have to be permadeath. Don't get me wrong, a meaningful death could be great narrative, but so could a crippling injury or traumatic experience of capture.

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Life is the Emperor's currency, spend it well. ;) I agree, that deaths should be significant, and part of the player's narrative as much as the GM's. If they have no control and it's not a satisfying part of their story, then it's not wrong or over sensitive for someone to feel disappointed... As long as they had a level of communication with each other.

Honestly, it feels to me like for many GMs, death is used as a lazy device in terms of threat. Because once you've killed someone, you've taken away everything. You've removed the shock, what are you going to do at that point to make things worse? Double-kill them? :lol:
Having characters hampered in some way or to have to fight to regain their original greatness, that's something I find interesting, and you can fuck with that hope.

Mordian Characters:

DeMarchese

Postby DeMarchese » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:43 am

Disclaimer: The following images were found on the Internet with no clue as to their original author. The user and the Eagle Ordinary Roleplay Forum community claim no ownership or authorship over them and they are shown here merely for entertaining purposes.

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:57 am

There was a sequel... Equally impossible to source the original, sadly.

Mordian Characters:

Techpriest Dave

Postby Techpriest Dave » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:01 am

Those pictures came from an artist on the 4chan board /tg/, the guy never claimed it and too many people post it. It's really hard to track down the original artist if they don't put a watermark on it.

I figured it out!

Drocol Ritter von Krieg

Postby Drocol Ritter von Krieg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:33 am

Last edited by Drocol Ritter von Krieg on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

InquisitorVawn

Postby InquisitorVawn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:38 am

Drawfriends on /tg/ will often post their own work without attribution. That's fine. If you say a good faith effort is made to find the artist, we'll trust that you tried your best before posting here.

Edit: I've removed my warning from Drocol's post because of his edit, but my point still stands. Reaction gifs are fine, posting a gif that is essentially just the whole video is not cool.

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:50 am

i'm not crying, someone put water in my eyes
guard characters: ///

Drocol Ritter von Krieg

Postby Drocol Ritter von Krieg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:17 am

Hm... Scintillan Fusiliers..

Here on Valmaria to present and parade.

A regiment that came to brag about the greatness of its own glory really...

Then got slapped hard by the T’au...

Most joined the T’au, due to their lack of loyalty.

Some remained with the remaining Imperial Forces at Naris.
Last edited by Drocol Ritter von Krieg on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:22 am

They are the perfect mobile supply unit.
Send them in the glorious first wave, wait for them to get slaughtered,
and gather the equipment to equip your veterans with!

/

Drocol Ritter von Krieg

Postby Drocol Ritter von Krieg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:26 am

Anyone want to join these now “Veteran” Fusiliers?

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:51 pm

https://imgur.com/gallery/GmqfW

Colourised WW2 photos that I keep around, there's an element of this in how I think of IG

Example:

Mordian Characters: