Warhammer Discussion: For Newbs and Pros Alike

For anything else, questions, discussion, etc.
CyGamer

Postby CyGamer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:10 pm

So, where I live and go to school at, there is not one person I've meet that has any actual interest in 40K. For a long time I had no idea it was so popular, or how many people loved it. Being here has been a fun time, and that's why I wanted to open this thread, a place where people can just chat about Warhammer in general.

Now I know not everyone is on the same level of knowledge, as lets be honest this universe is fucking massive. I'm pretty low in the standing myself, but I think it would be nice to have a spot were anyone can come, ask some questions, talk about what they like or dislike, and stuff like that.

What do you all think?

Who says the future has to be grimdark? Matt Ward that's who.

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:13 pm

I have ADD, so I have absorbed the lore like a sponge. If I don't know it I know how to get it. Let's talk!

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:09 pm

I only started having anything to do with warhammer 40k about 9 months ago so I'm up for discussions and finding out stuff too! =D

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:17 pm

I've been into warhammer for a couple of years now, I have always enjoy the history of the guard and a few other races. I can throw in my two cents now and again.

Let's get the talks started aye? If everyone is up to date with the recent events, how does everyone feel about the new changes in 40k? I myself didn't like the idea of cadia being no more
//

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Le story retcons. Such is life. "The Fall of Cadia" was originally a worldwide campaign called "The Eye of Terror." It kicked off shortly after they introduced The Tau Empire as a faction, as I recall.

It played out well enough. You had to register the result of games played and victories for one side or another was contributory to the outcome. In the end, Chaos "kinda" won and the story stalemated.

I guess this new push is to make sure that the Time of Ending, as it's known, really hits home the dire ramifications of where the galaxy stands.

I'm extremely enthused at the return of Guilliman, though. But I want to see the return of some of the other Loyalist Primarchs as well.

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:38 pm

I just hope with this 'time of ending' stuff that 40k doesn't go the same way as fantasy...
//

CyGamer

Postby CyGamer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:44 pm

I for one, wish that the Fall of Cadia was drawn out a over a few more books. I mean it was Cadia, home of CREEEED! and considered the heart of the imperial guard. But I am interested in the prospect of Guilliman returning from stasis. If anyone could stop the sinking ship that's the current Imperium, Papa Smurf seems like a good choice.

Who says the future has to be grimdark? Matt Ward that's who.

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Mind you, post-retcon Creed doesn't have the same notoriety. His epic stature is the result of years and years of uncontested prestige. The original Lore stated that he was Lord General of the 8th Cadian Shock Troop Regiment prior to the 13th Black Crusade. He only attains the title of Lord Castellan of Cadia after Abbadon begins to invade the Cadian Gate.

As to the Time of Ending, we've known it's been on the cusp for a long time. I've known it since I started playing in 4th Edition. I think that people just wanted to keep pushing it back while simultaneously wanting progression of the storyline. We just can't have it both ways.

I side with the notion that Warhammer 40k won't really end. It's their cash cow, more than Fantasy ever was.

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Guilliman's return, especially in the face of the lore being fleshed out in the Horus Heresy, leaves a lot wondering what's he going to do. During the Heresy, the Ultramarines and their rivals, the Word Bearers Legion, came to blows. Coupled with the loss of communication from being cut off from the rest of the Imperium, he assumed that the Imperium imploded and created the Imperium Secondus, raising his brother Sanguinius to the role of Emperor.

Imperium Secundus eventually fell apart and disappeared , but its unspoken legacy remains. There was a reason why he chose not to lead Imperium Secundus. Now that Guilliman has the reins of the entire Imperium, it remains to be seen what he'll do.

Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis

Postby Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Yeah the fall of cadia book was a bit short for my liking, and the story seems to all of a sudden started progressing really fast, with Magnus coming back as well as the fall of cadia and guilliman waking up.

Oh and I'm a filthy tau player, but started collecting a whole bunch of tempestus scions and thanks to the fall of cadia book I can field scions with baneblades and other heavy support, or I could have just played IG.
Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis.
Rob the Ogryn.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42

Postby Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:22 pm

I think saint Celestine would lead the imperium secundus, just because she is just as pretty and charismatic as sanguinus
Rob the Ogryn.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Is there new Lore saying what she is? They'd always left that point deliberately ambiguous. Though given the level of crazy awesome they're trying to pull off, I wouldn't be surprised if Saint Celestine was originally Euphrati Keeler.

Postby Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:30 pm

I remember reading somewhere she was the emperors wife or at least his version of a greater demon.
Rob the Ogryn.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:33 pm

Oh dear god, I hope not his wife. That might truly break the minds of many a gamer.

Though there might be some precedence in that the Sisters of Battle were originally called the Brides of the Emperor.

Postby Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:38 pm

That might be it. Not a clue what she is, but that inquisitor lady that was locked in the collector guys place recognises her, and god knows how long she was there. ( I am bad with names)
Rob the Ogryn.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Greyfax. She's a fun looking character.

Postby Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Yeah that one, also Celestine can resurrect people
Rob the Ogryn.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:05 pm

She's also nothing new. She's been around since the Sisters of Battle came out. That army's always been a bit of a niche, though. peooke have been waiting for an eternity for GW to make a plastic version f that army.

Zink

Postby Zink » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Guiliman isn't happy. He doesn't have the reigns on anything, either, from what white dwarf tells us (The quote came from white dwarf too), but he's just... terribly depressed about everything he sees. The Imperium is a pisshole compared to what he wanted, as well.

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Well, not yet. I did see something spoilerish in the Warhammer Facebook page. Something about ousting several High Lords.