Warhammer Discussion: For Newbs and Pros Alike

For anything else, questions, discussion, etc.
Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:04 pm

:? Oh I did say "might be", to be fair... When the baseline is meat-robot, I was imagining the scope for freedom of thought is "What is most efficient in-line with our training?"
Though what may seem 'efficient' to a Krieger is again opaque or horrifying logic to a 2017 mind.

I always figured Steel Legion would have colour variations like Cadian, Mordian, etc. I'd forgotten the default rotting-banana leather colour.
For purists who like book colour schemes, I guess SL are less cool.

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

Fates End
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Fates End » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Interesting responses so far :). I'm curious, what fiction/lore sources have you guys found useful regarding Krieg? I've apparently gotten a very different vibe/feel for the regiments of Krieg than some of the others here.
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement."

(Fates now has too many characters to link easily. Thus follow this handy link to my character thread and go wild.

Techpriest Dave
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Techpriest Dave » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:10 pm

1d4chan is a good source of fluff if you hate dry reads and don't mind slight inaccuracies.

But lexicaunum and the wiki are actual fluff centeres.

I figured it out!

Zink

Postby Zink » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:11 pm

A general sense of how the setting is helps wonders, like acknowledging that the root of the setting is grimdark and all that jazz. Wolf's pinned some good novels for me to tell you, like Down Amongst The Dead Men, which is told from a failed recruit's perspective, Dead Men Walking, where it's Necrons Vs Kriegers, and it goes to show how horribly empty the Kriegers are - the civilians see the genocidal death-robots as little better than the people trying to defend them.

The Lexicanum is also good, and you might trust 40kwiki, but they jump to conclusions and embellish on details. 1d4chan is incredibly biased and written by people who hate the setting, so uh... Trust it if you want a laugh, but take it with a grain of salt

InquisitorVawn

Postby InquisitorVawn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 pm

I'd argue with 1d4chan being written by people who hate the setting. A lot of 1d4chan is written by people who love the setting, but who acknowledge how utterly broken and ridiculous it can be some... a lot... Most of the time.

Techpriest Dave

Postby Techpriest Dave » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Regardless, 1d4chan exists as a place to look up stuff with out it being bland and tasteless like most wikis.

Just take it with a grain of salt and don't listen to the "tactics" part.

I figured it out!

Warsmith Wolf

Postby Warsmith Wolf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Dead Men Walking: Krieg vs Necrons as largely told by civilians. Neither side is seen as human. A commissar is left for dead by the Kriegers for not being willing enough to die for the Emperor. As said by Zink.

Down Amongst The Dead Men: Told by a failed Krieg recruit on Krieg itself. Haven't read this one. Again, already said by Zink.

Imperial Armour - The Siege of Vraks: Self explanatory, really.

Imperial Armour - The Fall of Orpheus: DKoK tank brigades help the Minotaurs beat up Necrons. Necrons proceed to do all the actual beating. RIP.

Warriors of Ultramar: Old, and thus not actually that good for Krieg lore, as the troopers are depicted as largely just being slightly grimmer Guardsmen.

Vaults of Terra - The Carrion Throne: A popular smutty novel amongst Terran nobility is My Wish to Generate Children with You is Only Exceeded by My Devotion to Him, a romance set on the lake-filled paradise world of Krieg. No-one realises how ironic this is.
Ferrum honore veniat.

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Fire Caste: A group of disgraced guardsmen and an equally fallen commissar fighting the Tau on a world too "...lazy to be a death world and too bitter to be anything else." The best 40k book I have ever read.

Someone please read this book so I can talk to them about it, omgpleaseIwanttotalkaboutitsogood.

Imperial Glory: Guardsmen have to just beat some orks and they get to retire on the planet! Yay! How politics screws everything up.

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:33 pm

Mordian Characters:

Zink

Postby Zink » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Remarkably good at finding some older pieces of fluff, though, or stuff that's been canned/removed from the lexicanum due to a skeptical knowledge on its existence. They even have the old 'squigs are tyranid bio-organisms in origin' thing, but as we all know that's no longer the case.

Techpriest Dave

Postby Techpriest Dave » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:36 pm

I figured it out!

TheRedauthar

Postby TheRedauthar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:38 pm

I have what might be a stupid question, but since I don't have the CultMech Codex I thought I'd ask it anyways:

What's the difference between CultMech, Skitarii, and TechPriest Enginseers?

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Don't take my words for a gospel but this is what I understand:

Skitarii are the equivalent of Munitorum IG but are nothing more than lifeless tools.
Engineseers are the Mechanicus Tithe to the Imperium by fixing and maintaining the military tech.
CultMech are the proper Tech Priests that are actually in charge of things in the Mechanicus and have their own hierarchy.

/

Bear

Postby Bear » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Skitarii are the military arm of the Mechanicus. They are however, extremely tribal due to their specific loyalties to the individual forge-world that they are deigned to protect and fight for.

Enginseers are a member of a cabal of priests from the Mechanicus who are much more widepsread than the other divisions of the Mechancus, and are found serving alongside almost every other force within the Imperium (Astartes, Guard, Arbites, Imperial Navy, Sororitas)

I have no idea what a Cult Mech is, but I'll assume you're either referring to the legislative force of the larger mechanicus (the priesthood) or the cult itself

The Mechanicus is a seperate faction independant from the Imperium of man, although the two have a extremely close ties to one another, and as an independant force to which the Imperium has less influence on, they have their own chain of command.

Tech Thrall
Servitor
Tech Priests (This role has a variety of sub-classes and specialized roles)
Artisan
Genetor
Logis
Magos
The Ruling Priesthood (Head honchos of the Mechanicus, who are the Artisans, Genetor, Logis and Magos)
Fabricator Locrum
And the Fabricator General, who holds a seat on the Council of Terra

The actual "cult" of the Mechanicus has its own laws, realms, armies and even a language called the Cant Mechanicus.

Hope this helps clear things up.

TheRedauthar

Postby TheRedauthar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Yeah, CultMech = Cult of Mechanicus.

See for 7th Editon, Cult of Mechanicus and Skitarii have their own Codexes. Now I'm aware this is probably a money thing similarly to Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum to Militarum Tempestus, but I wanted to verify.

Techpriest Dave

Postby Techpriest Dave » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:41 pm

I'll fill in the blanks.

The cult mech is the religious branch of the AdMech. All the priests fall under this category, including the enginseers.
The Cult operates like the ecclesiarchy in a way that they have an authority that surpasses many other branches.
Inquisitors for example are hesitant to fuck with the Cult mech because of the stuff they can get away with.

Imagine one minute your tea servitor is complacent, the next it violently explodes. Or your gellar field just so happens to have a malfunction and your ship gets fucked (sometimes literally) by daemons.

Lingua techna is the official language of the AdMech, and no one outside of it understands it.
The inquisition has tried and failed to decode the language mostly because of all the references and terms that only priests would truely understand.

The ecclesiarchy and the AdMech have somewhat of a rivalry. No one in the ecclesiarchy trusts the AdMech because of how different they are from the ecclesiarchal belief. Sure they all worship big E, but the AdMech do it differently.
It why things like exorcist tanks are so unreliable in the amount of missles they can shoot. The SoS only let priests perform basic maintenance only when absolutely necessary. It isn't uncommon for the two factions to come to blows.

I figured it out!

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Main:

Warrax

Postby Warrax » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:40 am

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:31 am

If we're on a Black Library note, I'm reading Yarrick: Imperial Creed at the moment. I really like the tone, and the bromancing doesn't hurt.

Not gonna lie, the reluctant commanding officer described in chapter two or three was the seed of the idea behind Lothar McKinnon. Though Lothar has rather branched off on his own path.

Mordian Characters:

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:42 am

Warrax: finally someone I can talk to about it. :D I'll pm you.

Cat: I think the tones are good and like his tendency to go off musing. However I liked the first book a little better, if I'm remembering the names right. Also I thought that all the supporting cast was more interesting than yarrick. That's not a bad thing, just that everyone else was really awesome and more dynamic. Also the ending comes reallly fast in my opinion, but let me know what you think when you're done. =)

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!