Warhammer Discussion: For Newbs and Pros Alike

For anything else, questions, discussion, etc.
Johannes Wyss von Krieg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 am

And here I am, just finished Caverns of Ice (Starring: Commissar Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!!!!!!). It was a nice read.

/

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

Techpriest Dave
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Techpriest Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:40 am

As I said prior, blanks and pariahs are different.
But honestly with how fucked the fluff is because of all the contradictory stuff the writers make. Moot point.

I figured it out!

Zink

Postby Zink » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 am

This is a diverted response from a character sheet for TPD, in regards to Psychic nulls.

There is no difference between the two terms. The 'Pariah gene' is an old term used in former editions to specify what caused blanks, until that was simply written over by newer editions as it being a simple genetic mutation. The Pariah gene was solid when necron pariahs existed, and the connotations that necrons interfered with humanity to create them, but with the removal of that, it's little more than another term imperials use to classify Psychic nulls.

40kwiki is an incredibly unreliable source for any knowledge, ironically, as the majority of the articles are repeating sentences saying the same thing, and drawn conclusions from little to no substantial basis of evidence, just because they saw a pattern that wasn't actually stated.

I was led here after going from the culexus' dated pariah gene hyperlink, which led me to a disambiguation on Pariahs, which led me to blanks.

Bear

Postby Bear » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:44 am

The Pariah gene is just the scientific, "biological" term for referring to someone who is a blank.

t. Eisenhorn Omnibus

Techpriest Dave

Postby Techpriest Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:48 am

40k cannon is constantly contradicting itself that arguments like this are pointless. TTS cannon is my cannon.
A good example? Squats. The term "got squatted" came from GWs inability to get it's shit together and making stupid moves to retcon things, i.e. the squats getting retconed via "tyranids ate them."

I figured it out!

Bear

Postby Bear » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 am

But GW did get it's shit together by the virtue that they removed a faction that they did not like the concept nor execution of with a brand new, up and coming race -- both removing the aforementioned issue whilst adding to the danger factor of what the Tyranids are truly capable of.

Techpriest Dave

Postby Techpriest Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:10 am

You miss understand, GW retconed the squats with little to no explanation. That's the meaning of the phrase "Squatted".
It could've been done better. Mind you though, the squats had a sizable fan base to it. People were almost begging for a squat codex, only to get a retcon.

I figured it out!

Zink

Postby Zink » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:13 am

He-

He just told you why they removed it. GW themselves even explained this when asked to elaborate - They felt the faction was forced, botched execution, and was needless for the setting, so they used them as a stepladder for Tyranids. They weren't going to write more Codices, they weren't going to make new models - it was much better than leaving them like Bretonnia in WFB until it got Age of Sigmar'd [eight years of no updates until the setting was destroyed], or Sisters of battle with the metal models.

The 'Sizeable fanbase' wasn't even that big, dude.

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:15 am

I personally don't see a problem with using the terms as an general indication of "Blankness" strength though. Like the inverse of the psyker classification?

Just asking because I thought that's what started the conversation

Bear

Postby Bear » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:15 am

Techpriest Dave

Postby Techpriest Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 am

Aye, I know why they dropped them. I'm just making my point and giving my two cents.

Also, compared to today's stands the squats has a small fan base. But back in the 80s/90s it was a considerable amount. The relative size adjusted for GWs popularity growth is similar to dark eldar players and fans.
It's 1:21 rn, I'm tired. Continue this in the morning. Thanks for the debate tho, I like having non political debates with others.
Last edited by Techpriest Dave on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

I figured it out!

Zink

Postby Zink » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:24 am

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:42 am

...I'm just here to watch the eighteen year old explain the 80/90s gaming industry to people based on what he's read on 40K Wiki and 1d4chan. :?

Mordian Characters:

Guardsman Samantha Hawke

Postby Guardsman Samantha Hawke » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:11 am

Characters: ,

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:38 am

Aside from the fact you got a limited edition figure this year celebrating the faction, Sisters of Silence as part of Horus Heresy, and a dedicated plastic saint...
GW knows Sisters have a cult following, hence the Warhammer TV tease when Magnus was being leaked.

Mordian Characters:

Guardsman Samantha Hawke

Postby Guardsman Samantha Hawke » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:56 am

Yup, kinda plays into the whole "we keep demiurg in our back pocket in case we want to release a one-off model" thing bear mentioned.

I'm not interested in fighting this out. If you want an explanation for how Celestine is not an equivalent of, say, an entire new space marine sub-faction, reddit has hashed it out a thousand times over.

I'll just take my heartache and go.
Characters: ,

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:05 am

I'm just saying they're not getting errata'd away like Squats did, not that their treatment is fair.

They've survived since Rogue Trader and have become a serious part of the iconography and background of the setting... While GW may not have certainty about handling them, it's very different to quietly removing something with less than ten years of history under its belt.

Mordian Characters:

Warsmith Wolf

Postby Warsmith Wolf » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 am

Ferrum honore veniat.

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 am

Mordian Characters: