Suggestions Thread

For anything else, questions, discussion, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby 2557 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:37 pm

I am going to start this up to be a place for people to make suggestions for the site or just general ideas someone may like to see.

For myself here are two things I'd like to see.

1. A list of regiments that are here on the planet.
2. A chat box or the like so users can communicate without clogging threads.

CyGamer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby CyGamer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:55 pm

The PM system works pretty well for user chatting. And I think that if we make a list of regiments on the planet it might limit people creativity, unless you mean like a "Currently known regiments" that gets updated every now and then.

Who says the future has to be grimdark? Matt Ward that's who.

Postby 2557 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Yeah, an updated on occasion one.

And PM works but I dunno, I really like chat boxes myself.

Vurrunna

Postby Vurrunna » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:19 pm

I feel like the website could do with a thread-follow mechanic--so that people can get updates when the threads they follow get replies/know when people respond to a specific RP without having to manually check at regular intervals.

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:40 am

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

LordOfWar867

Postby LordOfWar867 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:42 am

I suggest we should make sure we don't make too many regiments other wise if we had so many we would have won planet long before the comic would started
"Ave Imperator!"
Current Character: |

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:37 am

Kaiser
Site Admin

Postby Kaiser » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:34 pm

A consolidated regiment post sounds like a pretty good idea, actually, so folks can join up with 'existing' regiments. Perhaps it could be even better served by some sort of google document so there can be organization. Or someone who wants to dedicate time to consolidating various folks into similar regiments on a forum post list (and updating it.) Nose goes!

As for a chat, I've been looking into it, but like the regiment I can't dedicate enough time to reliably moderate it, so if I load up a shoutbox it could potentially be a bit... messy. Still, I'm willing to give it a try. Unluckily PHPBB's mothership site is down for maitnence, and that's where all the better plug-ins live, so it'll have to wait until they come back up. (They were up yesterday, so I assume it won't be long.)

@Verrunna, check out the 'YOUR POSTS' box in the upper right-hand side of the banner. Is that close to what you were thinking?

I like this thread tho, please feel free to keep adding suggestions.

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:42 am

Suggestion of a visual/makes sub forum?
Lotta folk create things based on their characters and games, from minis to props, or drawn up scenes.
Plus (might just be me) some folk keep visual folders of photos and references to help themselves too.

Also maaaaybe a working slang dictionary (doc maybe?) and an explanation of IG ranks? Who (generally) is answerable to who, etc.
Gonna put my hand up and say it took me 2 days to work out people weren't talking about actual blueberries.

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

Zink

Postby Zink » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:54 pm

A slang dictionary would be a bit too much for me to assemble, but I can provide a (kinda) comprehensive list of how rankings work in the imperial guard

For starters, we'll go off cadians, as they're the most widespread and generally are considered 'the' regimental format that most, if not all regiments go by, with minor additions and changes.

At the bottom of a true cadians list is the whiteshield, a prepubescent teenager/teenager from the Kasrs of cadia who fights akin to conscripts. For brevity's sake, we'll just say that conscripts and Whiteshields are equivalent.

Above them are Guardsmen, the meat of any regiment, and an actual rank in and of itself. Can also be referred to as 'trooper', but that's usually in certain media. Then we have corporals, the 'team leaders' of a squad, who relay instructions from the sergeant to their squad, to increase efficiency. I'm fairly certain most everyone knows what a sergeant is, and their place in 40k is pretty much the same. Another note, Guardsmen can be promoted to 'veteran' guardsmen given the circumstances, and they're granted better gear and respected more, though they still follow commands from everyone above them. They are usually allowed to be more expressive, and are less likely to get shot by a commissar, given their utility.

From there, the rank-and-file positions end, and the enlisted officers begin. The first and second lieutenants are in charge of logisics and management of a company, which is led by the company Captain. Above the captain is a Major, who acts as an assistant much like lieutenants do to a captain. They instead help the Regiments leader, the Colonel, run the regiment.

Commissariat attachments, administrative elements, and AdMech personnel are considered outside the regimental unit, and have no significant sway, asides from the Commissars' ability to enact judgement on troops, and conduct trials on officers.

I'll add more when I'm not on a bloody phone.

Kaiser
Site Admin

Postby Kaiser » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:29 am

Kaiser
Site Admin

Postby Kaiser » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:29 am

Metal C0Mmander

Postby Metal C0Mmander » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:11 pm

If you are seeing this I didn't die or anything I just figured that because of my unabillity to remain involved regularly for long periods of time I might as well not bother the rest of the forum.

Ave Omnissiah

Postby Ave Omnissiah » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:21 pm

As an Adeptus Mechanicus fanboy and massive nerd, I would gladly put together a post on how the AdMech is set up and what different people within and without the organization would know about it, if people thought it would help. A Mechanicus parallel to the IG dictionary and explaination, if you will.
Characters: /

Zink

Postby Zink » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:30 pm

Myrmidons still objectively the best facet of the militant ordos in the Admech. Though, recently Admech's been kinda getting silly with the new lore inclusions. Don't get me wrong- the Skitarii supplement was absolutely beautiful, and was badly needed, but now it's just "super knives that cut through every state of matter" and reviving volkite weapons for somewhat standardized use.

Oh, and that walker's 'Perpetual motion engine' which breaks every law of physics in a way thats so 40k it's both great and terrible

Ave Omnissiah

Postby Ave Omnissiah » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:32 pm

I wish Myrmidons got some 40k love; here's hoping their Horus Heresy models get to come to the present in the next Imperial Armor book.

As an aside, there's only one volkite weapon in Codex: Cult Mechanicus which only the Dominus gets, so it's not so much standard issue as your warlord gets one of the last ones. Transonic weapons are pretty great, but my Ruststalkers have the troubling tendency to die before they tune in. I did just finish my Ordinatus Ulator about two hours ago, can't wait to ruin someone's day with that :D
Characters: /

Zink

Postby Zink » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:29 am

What i meant by that was that volkite weapons returned at all , seeing as how they're described to be stupid rare and doted upon behind vaults. Never really liked the whole 'replaced bolters' as a standard weapon when they were first mentioned, felt like it was an attempt by the 30k writers in the initial stages to 'one up' the current setting

They're still hella cool, though. I need to get into modeling just to buy some 30k stuff, but the only GW store in Pennsylvania is like, on the other side of the state, and I have had bad experiences with most delivery services online

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:12 am

Well why wouldn't the only GW store in PA be in like Eire? That's just logic.

A ranking system for the guard would be really nice. I have to constantly look it up online and there it's generally way too complicated. Like I don't know if the rankings of each thing are important ect ect. So a nice simple thing would help.

Also I tried to get the regiments started, but I'm sure I missed some. It's rather bare bones, but it's a start?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!

Vesper

Postby Vesper » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:32 am

Warsmith Wolf

Postby Warsmith Wolf » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:38 pm

At this rate I might just fold Guardsman Lancaster into Commissar Talon's regiment - they're both Cadian and Mechanised, so having two of the same thing seems a bit obsolete.
Ferrum honore veniat.