Experimental Mini-Adventure: Interest Check

For anything else, questions, discussion, etc.
DeMarchese

Postby DeMarchese » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Greetings fellow players!

I bring you today a curious proposition.
During my years as both player and GM of roleplaying games I've always found that play-by-post is the system most delicate of all. More often than not players tend to post or double-post in their eagerness to play their characters, leaving behind any order and even getting ahead of events or the actions of other players involved in the game. Others suddenly disappear without explanation and their absence leave the entire game paralyzed for days, weeks or completely ending the game itself. Not to mention the Time difference, real-life issues and so on...

In order to help our growing community I wish to try a game under a set of experimental rules that (maybe or maybe not) can be used for future games. These rules will be explained in detail below this paragraph so you may consider them and join the game. Ready? Here we go!

So. You seek volunteers? How many?
No less than 2 and no more than 4 in this kind of games should be allowed.

How do I apply?
Just leave a comment here with the name of your character along it. If possible, leave also a link to your character's profile.

My character use the FATE system but others don't! What are we going to do?
Don't you worry. For simplicity's sake I will merge both using another system. I will take a look at your descriptions and/or your FATE values and assign them a number value between 0 and 4 (being 4 the highest score). All rolls will be done by me and the results will be transferred directly into the story as narrative text along with the results.

But you are also a player, not a GM or an Admin! This smells fishy...
Don't you worry. My own character will be "demoted" to a NPC status during this event. As I said, this is merely an unofficial experiment and the ultimate goal remains the same: To have fun.

What if I want proof of my rolls?
Well, I can't deny you that alas it will go against my intention of keeping things as simple at possible. If you have the feeling to be subject to the whims of a GM who does "invisible" rolls then I'm sure we can arrange something...

What happens if my character is wounded? Or worse! Emperor preserve me!
The events of this adventure will be as official as you, the players, want them to be. You can entirely disregard the events after the conclusion of the adventure as some kind of warp-cocaine-induced hallucination.

Is there some other system implemented aside the one using D4's?
Yes. I'll be using a system of Scenes and Initiatives.

What are Scenes?
Adventures are often divided into Chapters or Episodes. I will further divide these into Scenes and they will be announced both at the beginning and at the end of everyone of them.

What are Initiatives?
Initiative is the system that determines in what order you can post and act. They will be randomly determined at the start of every Scene and they will be generated again when said Scene ends. That way we can always keep an orderly fashion and avoid such things as massive quotations, forgetting players with a slow rate of connection to the forum, double-posting, etc...

That sounds like a pain in the ass... How long are these "Scenes" of yours?
They are usually structured like combat encounters but extended to social interaction. For example, you and your group enter into the supply depot to ask for weapons. The scene will start from the very instant you enter the door of the supply depot until you take your leave. Everyone will have a fair chance to act and speak during every Scene.

Suppose for a moment that I buy your crap... How long do you intend to run this thing?
The key word for this is "experimental". As such I can advance you that I intend to run a short adventure. Or at least as short as possible!

Any other specifics?
Only one more. Real-life can sometimes (well, most of the time reall) be a **** and mess things a lot. We can't be connected 24/7 or always looking for the next post to come so we can answer to it inmediately. I understand this and I think we all must. But we must also show some respect to our fellow players with a minimum of commitment to the game. That means that each player must post something at least twice per week and try to warn other players (and the GM!) if he/she must be absent from the game and for how long (at least try to provide with an estimation).

Wait... that sounds like bans. Are you going to ban people during the adventure?
Only as a last resort option. If something like that happens, I will take care of the character and he/she will be "demoted" to the NPC status for the rest of the adventure. This will happen only if said people do not post anything for at least two weeks and also do not provide any explanation to their absence or silent. If a player begins to post with erratic periodicity and said periodicity endangers the advancement and proper functioning of the adventure he/she will be warned. Ignoring such warning will also result in expulsion.

All right. I think I have everything I need. Is there anything else?
Of course it is! If things go smoothly and we finish the adventure while having lots of fun I will reward the best player of the adventure with one of my draws of his/her character so he/she can use it as a portrait here on the forum!

And NOW we are really finished. Thank you for taking your time reading all that boring stuff.
Do not forget to leave here your formal application in case that you are interested. I'll only pick 4 players at most.

Have fun and enjoy the game!
Last edited by DeMarchese on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyGamer

Postby CyGamer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:06 pm

I'll give it a shot.
Krag R. Krast- link is in the signature

Who says the future has to be grimdark? Matt Ward that's who.

Postby 2557 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Hahah, I have my own system I use but I am interested in giving this a shot. Maybe I'll lose an arm! D: I'm in.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46&p=304#p304

Junior Commissar Talon

Postby Junior Commissar Talon » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:31 pm

*hand raise*

edit:. I'm just going to keep him current to the forum in xp. No reason to overpower his dopey ass.

Coke

Postby Coke » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:12 pm

Oh, me. I'll need to review requisites and such when I get home, but I'm always up for misadventures.

vengence angel

Postby vengence angel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm cautious about this, however I think that's just self doubt. So sure count A1d1n in
##Thought for the day## you're life for the Emperor, your body for the Mechanicum.
Tech priest A1D1N

Kaiser
Site Admin

Postby Kaiser » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:22 pm

I (Talon) will step out so Coke and Angel can play, don't want too many commissars on the dance floor!

Coke

Postby Coke » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Oh, I'm not bringing Finneus, Kaiser, that would be too many, haha. Plus, he's not the sort to bring to a party unless you want a chaperone.

I'm porting over a Mira analog.

DeMarchese

Postby DeMarchese » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:33 pm

Please bear in mind that everyone is free to present his/her application. I will announce those who are in when the adventure is ready to go.
Last edited by DeMarchese on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Coke

Postby Coke » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:40 pm

Huzzah!

DeMarchese

Postby DeMarchese » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:57 am

Since it seems we will not be getting any more volunteers anytime soon, I officially declare this thread closed.
The chosen ones are:
2557 - Cordelia Ambers.
Junior Commissar Talon - Junior Commissar Talon.
Coke - Junior Commissar Finneus Sharpe III.

Congratulations to those who made it and my best wishes to those who didn't. Don't you worry, I'm sure you will make it next time!

To properly celebrate the Emperor's New Year I will open the adventure thread in the section "Roleplay: Capitol City" on January 1st.
Do not fret, I will be under the effects of alcohol and sleep deprivation after the huge party planned for the previous day.
You will have between January 1st and January 8th to begin your involvement in the adventure.

Cheers!
Last edited by DeMarchese on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coke

Postby Coke » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Ah, I thought I had a bit more time to get the proper sheet up - as to avoid the potential for a clusterfrak of Commissars.

Here is the intended character:

QuickStats - 2/2/1/0/3/1
Tags - Don't Mess With The PDF; I'll Show You My Mettle; Hardliner

Postby 2557 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:25 pm

WOO! I'm getting executed!

DeMarchese

Postby DeMarchese » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:23 pm

Thread is open. The adventure begins.
Happy New Year!