What the feth?! Guardsman slang thread!

For anything else, questions, discussion, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Richard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:48 pm

Howdy, Ordinaries!

As you may know from my posts on the FB page, I fethin' love Guard slang, a whole fuggin' bunch, so throne-dammit I thought I'd start a little thread to round up a bunch of colorful Guard terminology. I'd love to add more from the various bits of Guard lore, but I haven't read everything, so if you see something missing, add it!

General Slang
Amasec: an alcoholic beverage distilled from wine, the good booze
Bat: Hostile aircraft
Black on black: Friendly fire
Catachan kiss: A headbutt
Cogboy: A priest of the mechanicum
Cooker: A meltagun
Flashlight: The almighty lasgun, favored weapon of the Hammer of the Emperor
Flamer tan: Getting slightly cooked/charred by a promethium weapon
Gribblies: Anxiety/worry
Gun-baby: A conscript
Leash, Hangman: Derogatory term for a Commissar
Lho: An addictive narcotic smoked out of a tube. Calms the nerves.
Nine-Seventy: An entrenching tool, or E-tool (good for digging, great for killing traitors :twisted: )
Obscura: A banned narcotic based on opiates
Recruitment, Recruiting: Engaging in carnal relations with the opposite sex, with the intention of producing progeny (or not)
Scrambled: Insane or shell-shocked
Slap: A minor disciplinary measure
'Slaught: A banned narcotic that causes the subject to become frenzied and violent
Torch: A flamer
Vox: A portable radio

Profanity (My favorite!)
Feth, Fugg: Similar to another F word. What was it again? Oh yeah, Fornicate.
Gak: Excrement
Kraks and Frags: Expressing dismay at misfortune

I look forward to seeing what you all add, or any of your own you've created!

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:12 pm

I'll be adding to this post as time goes on. Stay tuned!

Gaggle-frak: a group of people, usually soldiers, standing around in need of an officer's direction. Multi-level insult, as "gaggle" refers to a group of geese.

Slay Bodies: Kill People. A dehumanizing term with an eye for an individual's kill count.

Operator: used in reference to describe someone as badass, amazing, best-of-the-best. Can occasionally be used as tongue-in-cheek. Inevitably this leads to:

Operator as Frak: the badass' badass.

God's Cogs: a common exclamation among Guardsmen who venerate the Omnissiah.

Hurry Up and Wait: The eternal conundrum of military function. Get here now, get ready now, do this now, wait for combat, wait for new orders, wait in line, etc.

Knife Hand: A common method of pointing among NCOs. Rather than pointing with the index finger, all five fingers are employed in the gesture. When used at lower ranked troopers, this can be a gesture of intimidation.
Last edited by Talancir on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ave Omnissiah

Postby Ave Omnissiah » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 pm

A couple off the top of my head:

Tread-fether: A "lightweight" (according to somebody who isn't carrying one) disposable missile launcher.
Crunchies: Derogatory nickname for infantry, used mostly by tankers.
Tin Soldiers/Glory Boys: Derogatory nicknames for storm troopers and Tempestus Scions. Best not used in their presence.
Cognomen Tags: Small metal discs with vital information of the bearer, usually worn around the neck. Mostly for identifying corpses.
Flakbait: An aircraft operating at a speed and altitude that makes it likely to get shot down, either on purpose or by accident.
Emperor's Mercy: Killing a wounded, maddened, or captured comrade to spare them further pain and suffering.
Characters: /

Metal C0Mmander

Postby Metal C0Mmander » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:27 am

Thank you very much!

I also think I've heard Gribblies used once to talk about Tyranids.
If you are seeing this I didn't die or anything I just figured that because of my unabillity to remain involved regularly for long periods of time I might as well not bother the rest of the forum.

Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis

Postby Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:42 am

I call Tyranids either 'nids or bugs.
I've seen the people call the tau blueberries, I call them blueys or blueskin. (Sometimes fish people)

Who else calls basic transports metal boxes?
Lieutenant Cornelius Aventis.
Rob the Ogryn.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:12 am

Great, a whole list my character will pretty much not understand for a good while but enough for me to misinterpret more than half of. XDDD

I needed this. Because the player also does not know a lot of guardsman slang.
Main:

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:33 am

Not sure where it originally came from, but my local group adopted the following:

Coat rack: Commissar (familiar/affectionate)

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

Warsmith Wolf

Postby Warsmith Wolf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Tau Lexicon for Filthy Xenos and Blueberry Lovers

Gue'vesa: Human (Auxiliary), generally a friendly term for inducted ex-Imperials. Combatants may be called Gue'vesa'la (approx. Guardsmen) or Gue'vesa'ui (approx. Sergeants).

Gue'la: Human (enemy/neutral), could be used as an insult, but most tau do not.

Kauyon: Patient Hunter. A tactic involving baiting and ambushing the enemy. If you hear this and you know a lick of tau-speak, it's probably a trap.

Mont'ka: Killing Blow. A tactic involving sudden decapitation strikes. If you hear this and you know a lick of tau-speak, remember what the blueberries did to High Command? It's that.

Kles'tak: High density explosive. Likely denotes minefields - though Tau don't often use mines, their human auxiliaries certainly do. Watch for signposts.

Ky'husa: Analogous to amasec. Considered contraband, and thus illegal for Guardsmen to possess. Best when warm and drunk in a single gulp.

Mal'kor: Vespid, bug-like creatures that can fly. Their short-ranged guns punch through armour even harder than normal Tau pulse rifles, so keep your distance.

Por'hui: Analogous to the Imperial newsnet and Regimental Standard. Filthy xenos propaganda, tuning in is heresy!

Ta'lissera: Either a sworn brotherhood or marriage, depending on context. If a blueskin offers you either, politely turn them down, then shoot them.

Kor'ves: Drone. These pancake-shaped bits of floating tech-heresy serve multiple roles, from observation to shield generation, or even disproportionately powerful weapons fire. Abhor the abominable intelligence!
Ferrum honore veniat.

Bear

Postby Bear » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:19 am

Feth isn't used by Guardsmen outside the Tanith-First-And-Only.

Here's a list. Most of it's ripped from Lexicanum, so I don't take credit. I'll add my own homebrew names, they'll have a* at the end, they'll most likely be based off real-world military jargon.

If you have suggestions, say them. I'll add them alongside the others when I finally finish adding my own slang.

AA - Artillery, Sore-legs*, Arty*, 12-mile snipers*, Quakers*, Spittin' God*

Sore-legs: In reference to the fact that Artillery loaders/crewmen spend a lot of time standing on Basilisks.
Arty: Abbreviation of "artillery"
12 Mile-snipers: Explains itself
Quakers: Referring to the Earthshaker round and it's cause and effect
Spittin' God: Artillery falling from the sky looks like a divinity spitting on enemies or allies

Ace (Skilled Imperial Pilot) - White-knuckles*, Brass Bird*

White-knuckles: Referring to how tightly the pilot grips his command-stick
Brass Bird - Referring to their medals

Asmaec (The drink) - Brew*, Liquid Vhim*, "Just Recaf"*

Shouldn't have to explain most of these.
"Just Recaf": Alludes to the fact Guardsmen, when asked by their superiors why their recaf smells odd, they reply with "Just Recaf."

Auspex - Clock*, Blind-leading-the-blind*

Clock: Joke at the expense of the piece of technology, most Guardsmen believe the device is only useful as a time-measuring device
Blind-leading-the-blind: What Guardsmen often say about troopers issued this piece of wargear

Augmetic (Someone with Cybernetics) - Tin-man*

Baby Ogryn (A Catachan)

Backwater (Technologically primitive world)

Black cross/black on black (Friendly fire term)

Bat (Enemy gunship) - Bandit*, Vulture*, Whistler*

No need to explain the first two.
Whistler: The sound enemy aircraft (most notably Eldar) make when they pass overhead. Sometimes referred to the sound ordinance makes when dropped out of the sky.

Blunt (Sanctioned Psyker term for non-psykers)

Bravery Bolter (Commissar's Bolt-pistol) - Assurance*, The itch*

Assurance: A sardonic quip about the Commissars role within their unit
The Itch: Commonly said when a Guardsmen "feels like" either the Commissar's eyes or bolter are leveled at his back.

Bottle-of-bravery (Asmaec)

Catachan Kiss (A headbutt)

Chatter (Vox-chatter)

Cogboy (A tech-priest)

Cooker (A meltagun/flamethrower)

Det-tape (The tape peeled off a det-charge to stick it to something)

Devil-dare (A crazy, stupid idea one or a group of people agree to do, or when ordered to do something exceptionally dangerous)

Do a Yarrick (Take a trophy from the enemy)

Emperor's Benediction (A mercy-killing)

Field Homicide (Homicide of another trooper and then trying to pass it off as friendly-fire)

Flakboard (A strip of sheet-like material used to repair damage or ruptures on flak-armour)

Flamer Tan (Darkened skin tone as a result of being within close-proximity to a flamer. Can also include proximity to a melta or plasma gun)

Found wanting (Euphemism for a field-execution)

Freak/Brain/Bolt Magnet (Non-psyker term for psykers)

Gadget-Man (General term for anyone within the Adeptus Mechanicus)

Gak (Verghast Swear-word)

The Green (Catachan catch-all term for a jungle)

Greenskin (Ork or any of the Orkoid races)

Gribblies (Nerves or PTSD, shellshock, etc)

Gun-baby (New recruit, conscript or White-shield)

Hangman (Commissar)

Hell-drop (Diving into a combat-zone via Grav-chute whilst under heavy fire from Artillery)

Internal Guard (PDF forces)

Iron Duke (General term for any Imperial Guard vehicle)

Jammer (Term for a device that disrupts vox communications)

Jumper (Drop-trooper)

Junker (A scratch-built or badly damaged vehicle)

Leftovers (An incomplete squad due to casualties)

Nine-seventies (Cadian term for their entrenching tools)

Pict (A video or recording taken from a camera)

Plank (Idiot, Ogryn)

Scrambled (Insane or completely shell-shocked)

Screamer-killer (A carnifex)

Slap (Discipline from an officer for a minor offense)

Sweeper (A man-portable mine detector)

Torch (Flamer)

Twist (A mutant)

Postby 2557 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Now this list is not fair per se as it applies to the Morgus Miners only but this seems a good spot to put it as it goes into their terminology and references a lot and I will update it frequently.

Local Fauna of Morgus Minor
Alspawn: A reference to a black worm-like creature that moves in swarms devouring as they go. They have a curious ability to come together like one writhing bodied beast. Very dangerous.

Weapons
Peacemaker: Affectionate name for their laspistol sidearms. Only the one they brought from home and was locally made earns that name however. Extremely well crafted but heavy.

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:13 pm

I'm rereading Priests of Mars and one of the Cadian officers offers the following acronym:

FISH: Fighting In Someone's Hab. It's slang for building clearances. This may be Cadian specific.

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:43 am

Glory boys, Toy Soldiers - stormtroopers/tempestus scions
Blunt - psyker term for a non-psyker
Baby Ogryn - a catachan
Backwater - technologically primitive world
Defeat in Detail - the process of wiping out the enemy one unit at a time
Blemish - a visible wound, particularly on a 'pretty' soldier or vehicle
The Emperors Chosen - a suicide squad
Haunt - to scout out/infiltrate
Bullseye - new guy who hasn't learned to keep his head down
Ace-in-the-Hole - A back-up plan usually in the form of a one-shot bolt pistol, dagger, shotgun or other unofficial weapons.
Klom - valhallan shorthand for a kilometer
Hagen and Fleegan - two mythical guardsmen who sit in the unoccupied seats on a chimera
Multikey - an (almost) universal lock-pick.
One-Way Ticket - grav chute landing
Savlar - a thief or drug addict
Shell - Carapace armour
Spook - Tyranid Lictor
Spotlight - lascannon
Infil-Traitor - sleeper agent
Iron Duke - armoured vehicle
'nids - tyranids
'Cant - codewords/shorthand phrases/slang used on the battlefield to describe tactics/enemy numbers/etc
guard characters: ///

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:38 am

I just finished reading Priests of Mars, Lords of Mars, and Gods of Mars. Good read for anyone seeking more information On Cadians.

I present the following nuggets of Cadian idioms and customs

A toast: The dead of Cadia. Fire and honor!
-Fire and honor!

For Cadia and for honor.
-Or the Eye take us.

F.I.S.H. Fighting In Someone's Hab

Sons of groxes

Also, a lot of the casual phrases and oaths involve the Eye in some fashion.

Talancir

Postby Talancir » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Strategically Transport Equipment to an Alternate Location. S.T.E.A.L.

Picture for reference:

TheRedauthar

Postby TheRedauthar » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Regimental Standard has a Catachan Phrasebook now: https://regimental-standard.com/2017/09 ... hrasebook/

MaskedAndDangerous

Postby MaskedAndDangerous » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:16 pm

Throne: Damn
Throne on Earth: What the fuck?
Frag/Frak/Feth: Fuck
Grox: A cow like animal, replace all usages of the word bull or cow with this

In general, most uses of damn, hell, or other infernal swearing is replaced with Emperor, Primarch, or Saint references, for obvious reasons.

Some Imperial Guard Saints
- Stood between Horus and the Emperor in the final battle of the Heresy
Lord Solar Macharius - Space Alexander the Great
Borgen Crassus - Lord Macharius's right hand man, and the only one of his generals who didn't succumb to heresy when he died
Kiodrus - Left hand and military commander of Saint Sabbat. Her shrines have fallen on hard times recently
Phistinius - "And Saint Phistinius went unto the enemy unarmed and unarmoured."