[OPEN] Chapel

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
Cheesecake

Postby Cheesecake » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:25 am

Private Mathew Message cursed himself for waking up late. As a Janissary, it was inexcusable! He even missed the barracks inspection, having slept (and unintentionally hid) beneath his bunk. This business on Naris had muddied his mind, and he needed a moment to clear it.

Thankfully, he woke up just in time for the day's first worship.

With a pendant in the face of Saint Drusus in one hand, he ran for the chapel, striding across the barracks like a Sentinel walker. He ignored the sundry bedlam that ensued around him, paid no mind to the mundane mayhem that was as natural in this place as the sun rising. Instead, he had eyes only for the chapel.

It was humble. The austerity of it contrasted with the glistening spires of the Ecclesiarchy common everywhere in the Imperium; here instead was a sturdy box with stone-hard pews and a cold floor. The candles beneath an Aquila were lit, and sunlight danced through small windows.

The chapel was empty for the time being, save for a servitor slaving away at a stain. Private Message enjoyed the silence and solitary solace.

It would not last long.
Character:

Peridot Onyx

Postby Peridot Onyx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:49 am

Perron hadn't meant to run from the barracks inspection, in fact he had nothing to hide. But when people started yelling out of the blue, something inside had tripped, and made him bolt.
He felt deeply ashamed; the kind commissar had told him to just explain clearly to folk, if he needed space. Perron sighed incredibly quietly, he hadn't managed to do that.

As he sat, shivering in the cold but generous shadow of a hab-block, a movement caught his eye. He watched Private Message trail towards the chapel, and enter the small building.
That looked like a quiet place to go to. Nobody would yell in there. Well, perhaps they would, but not at anyone in particular, he reasoned. And maybe a little fervent inspiration would help Perron make sense of things. He was always told the Emperor protected, and certainly seemed to inspire other troops.
Finally regaining his smile, he stood and padded towards the chapel.

Quietly pushing the door open, he slipped inside and took a seat towards the back. He slowly gazed around with stunned curiosity at the icons and lighting. Never having been in an Imperial city, and raised on a small mining colony, this was the first, and most impressive chapel Perron had ever been in. He appreciated it, even if he didn't truly understand it.
&

Cheesecake

Postby Cheesecake » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:18 am

Message turned from where he was sitting, saw a stunned soldier staring at the chapel's simple decor. The Janissary couldn't quite put his finger on what regiment the newcomer came from; in fact, he couldn't be sure about anything about the newcomer.

If we weren't the only ones here, Message thought, I wouldn't have noticed.

The service wouldn't begin for a while. The private rose from the pew and approached his fellow guardsman.

"Peace upon you," Message began, hands making the sign of the Aquila. "First time seeing a place of the Emperor's worship?"
Character:

Peridot Onyx

Postby Peridot Onyx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:29 am

"..?" Calmed by the tranquility of the building, Perron found his nerves had stopped jangling enough to allow speech. He swallowed quietly, "Yes. I've never seen anything like, it's beautiful, sir."
His faint smile flickered as he realised his words may have been inappropriate, and he lowered his voice, "I mean, unless all those candles are because someone died. Then I'm sorry." he looked at his knees, embarrassed.

[[Is Mathew wearing a silver mask? It wouldn't freak Perron out at this point, I'm just trying to get an image.]]
&

Cheesecake

Postby Cheesecake » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:43 am

Message smiled. "No 'sir' needed. I'm of the 1024th Maccabian Janissaries." He held out his hand. "Private Message."

The Janissary said his name with only an ounce of embarrassment; it'd been said enough times by enough people. Throne, he couldn't even be promoted because his name 'fit perfectly' with his rank!

Corporal Message has just as nice a ring to it! he began in his mind. Or even Captain Message, or Warmaster Message!

He sighed silently, inwardly, and decided to feel sorry for himself another time. His silver mask had been left with the rest of his armor, back in the barracks. Message was in bleak, gray fatigues.

"A lot have died, a lot more will." Message said, looking at the candles. "It's up to us to keep the candles lit for them, right?"
Character:

Peridot Onyx

Postby Peridot Onyx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am

Perron looked back up at the quiet man, and his smile returned, though he felt a little puzzled by the man's apprehension about his own name. His eyebrows raised as he realised, and he commiserated with him, "Peridot... Onyx... Ah. My parents were miners." he shook hands politely, with no notable quality to his grip.

Turning his head slightly and regarding the candles, he glanced briefly down at the mourning-band on his own arm, and then back, before narrowing his eyes, replying in a surprisingly low growl, "Sure. For those who deserve to be remembered."

His expression immediately faded back to one of mildness and curiosity, glancing at the Aquila, "It is a holy symbol? But it is on nearly every piece of equipment granted to us, even the earth-shakers."
&

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:58 pm

A group of 4 humanoid figures enters the Chapel, in full battle gear, segmented carapace armour of metallic colour over long grey coats that cover their entire bodies, helmets and masks with the shape of a skulls and respirator covered faces connected to the cases on their backs, Their Lasguns are carried over their shoulders with a strap.
They walk in complete silence and stiffness, their emotionless body language makes them almost identical to the Servitor cleaning the floor tiles.
among the Guardsmen one stands out: His coat is black, trimmed with white, as well as his metallic armour being trimmed and more darker shade. In addition to the Lasgun, he carries a sword and a laspistol on his belt.
While the rest are as expressive as a servo-skull, this one notes the present with a slight nod.
He approaches the altar and kneels before the Aquila, a steel necklace clutched in his hands and silent whispers are heard behind the mask,
2 guardsmen stand at the entrance, and 1 stand near him, completely still.
Last edited by Johannes Wyss von Krieg on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

/

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:49 pm

[[OOC: I think my responses will not be immediate, considering the Time differences and my clogged up schedule...]]

/

Cheesecake

Postby Cheesecake » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Character:

Peridot Onyx

Postby Peridot Onyx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Perron considered this answer, then looked both ashamed and apologetic, “I’ve disrespected you, I’m sorry.” He rubbed the back of his neck, “We do understand the Emperor where I hail from, and what He does for us. We learn the hymns, we pray and we pay our dues. But until I was sent to the Guard- Well no, before I came here, I hadn’t even seen a place of- of true worship. I didn't know that it meant... Anything.”

He looked back up at the eagle and tried to understand it’s significance.
His brow furrowed. But why did they put it on everything? He was fairly sure it was stamped on crates and even clothing.
&

Cheesecake

Postby Cheesecake » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:36 am

Character:

Peridot Onyx

Postby Peridot Onyx » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:27 am

Perron listened, entranced. They do their work in the image of a saint? He was deeply impressed, though he'd never actually seen images of saints. He wondered briefly what one looked like.

"Err." at the query, Perron felt the back of his neck burn and chill slightly as sweat built there. He swallowed, and spoke in a lower voice than before, "...Somewhere not deserving of being remembered." Certainly not in the same breath as this man's homeland.
True to his word, Onyx's uniform was picked clean of all regimental identification. He gazed at the candles for a long moment. Turning back to Mathew, and smiling, slightly unnaturally, "But we were taught... Those of us who listened... That He has a purpose for all who follow faithfully. So if I'm still here, then I trust in His judgment that I'm still useful in some way."

Perhaps coming in here was a mistake after all. He'd insulted Mathew, and the ice in his gut reappeared at the query of his home-world. Peridot began to wish he'd stayed behind the outer building.

"What is it that folk do at err, services?" he realised that he may be in for further uncomfortable moments if he didn't prepare.
&

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:43 am

Shortly after, The Kneeling Officer stood up and turned to the Kriegsman: "Up to 8 minutes is the average Single Prayer time. Less than that; he's in a haste, more than that; has exploitable weakness i.e. asks the Emperor's saving. Note the tone and the Tempo of the Prayer: Singular Prayers should not be loud, as well as 2 praying at the same time: Spies passing intel." He spoke in an accented Low Gothic as he passed the necklace to the Guardsman, who in turn, knelt before the Aquila "Now you pray and I'll see how well you do it." The officer now stands Idle, occasionaly shifting his attention between the "praying" Kriegsman, the various sniping points and the nearby conversation...

/

Corporal Antioch

Postby Corporal Antioch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 am

[[OOC: Are y'all still posting in here? I see the most recent post is 5 days ago so I wasn't sure. I really like the chapel setting, but I don't want to post on a dead thread. Lemme know and I'll respond in kind. Many thanks]]

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:35 am

/

Corporal Antioch

Postby Corporal Antioch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:38 am

[[OOC: Gotcha. I'll shop around for a more active thread then. I'm sure I'll see you around though :)]]

Warsmith Wolf

Postby Warsmith Wolf » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 am

[[The Chapel is just a place, not so much an active thread. People can post in it whenever.]]
Ferrum honore veniat.

Corporal Antioch

Postby Corporal Antioch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Antioch paced about the Chapel halls quietly, fingering the amulet that hung around his neck as he did so. He was supposed to be holding a service for a few of his fellow troopers this morning but the announcement of an inspection meant that nobody would be coming for a while yet. The delay wouldn't be all bad, though, if it him the chance to speak with the Preachers while he waited. Antioch was anything but a gifted writer and their guidance was always helpful in making his sermons presentable, but he had yet to actually see one of them this morning.

The absence of the Preacher did not mean the Chapel was empty, however, as a Maccabian Janissary had also come to pray. The Janissaries presence in Naris was a comfort to Antioch but he felt that he was far too insignificant to offer benedictions to one of such strong faith and simply continued tending to the candles. The Chapel soon grew more crowded as a tall man in simple fatigues entered and begun conversing with the Jannissary and a group of grim-looking Kriegsman arrived soon after.

The way that man of the Death Korps set about their worship bothered Antioch. While everyone venerates the God-Emperor in his or her own way they treated it more like cleaning a rifle than offering a prayer. He made up his mind that he would see if he could persuade the group to join him in a service and made his way down the aisle to stand between where the Janissary, the tall man, and the Kriegsman were praying.

"Good morning my children" he offered softly. "Have you come for Morning Mass?"

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:04 pm

From the moment the Cadian entered the Chapel he was watched: by the ravens on the windows, the ants on the floor, and by the 2 Kriegers, Guarding the Door. A few gestures signs and shrugs and #9453/1-101 knew all he needed to know: Corporal, Cadian, Pious.
He spoke something, but the Officer didn't paid enough attention to that, the correct pronunciations of #9453/8-201's "Prayer" were more important,
What was the Cadian speaking of? Based on his subordinate hidden messages he was new around and the Captain didn't know of the priest yet. 2 Options: Prayer of Serving Mass, either he was outranking the Cadian or the Ministorum recruited a new preacher.
Yes, "Mass" was the final word.
As the Krieger made those calculations, the Cadian approached the range from he could hear #9453/1-101 and once hearing range is assured, the Officer spoke:
"No, Corporal, training #9453/8-201 in proper identification of traitors and spies within praying masses. Preparations are for leaving to assume command over Garrison. Although, I don't believe I have seen you in the last command briefing. Are you new on Naris? What is your Regiment, Corporal?"

/

Corporal Antioch

Postby Corporal Antioch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:48 pm

"I serve with the 203rd Cadian, Captain. However today I serve in the capacity of my Platoon's spritual councelor."

Antioch produces a weathered, but well-kept, copy of "The Infantryman's Uplifting Primer" and opens it to a section with pink pages. He does a quick check to make sure he's on the right page before looking back to the Captain with a faint smile.

"Your men seem... hurried... in their worship, Captain. There is no need for haste here in the house of The Emperor. Perhaps I could persuade you gentleman to join me for some recaff while we speak about great Commissar Yarrick and the lessons we can learn from his heroic defense of the Hades Hive?" Antioch gestures back towards the pews.