[OPEN] North Barracks

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:08 am

Battered, broken down, leaky and slipshod, the North Barracks is where most of the garrison gets its rack time. Frequently the target of long range missile strikes and rebel artillery, the Barracks has been rebuilt each time by the can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves-and-fix-it-because-if-we-don’t-we’ll-be-executed attitude. Despite their best efforts, the southern corner of the barracks is currently missing a ceiling, shielded from the elements by an impressively large tarp. The regiment held most in contempt by base command gets racked here. At the moment, it’s the Valhallans.

The barracks is in a state of constant activity, as Cadians are cycled off of fire watch for their brief rack time, and bleary eyed Second Sons drag themselves out of bed for dawn PT. NCO’s patrol the halls relentlessly, shutting down any gambling, smoking, inter-regimental scuffles, inter-regimental “liaisons,” the guardsmen here are all veteran NCO dodgers, and so these activities continue apace. By far the most diverse area of the base, here, cultures from across the galaxy are allowed to mingle and share their views on the martial values, spiritual guidelines, and cultural markers of their unique civilizations with their fellow guardsmen.

It is a wonder they haven’t all killed each other yet, or mutinied, or both.

---

[[Welcome to a general Northern Barracks thread not tied to a specific moment! Anyone bunked (or not bunked) here is welcome.]]
Main:

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:16 am

It wouldn't come to a surprise to anyone that the recently displaced Corporal Vayne was bunked here in the creaky and leaking Northern Barracks after his split from the local Narisian PDF, here among many others of various squads and troops.

In arguably the best bunk he could nab for himself, the redheaded young man was busy being very not-busy, having convinced Scout Lucas to do most of his menial chores. For that matter, he'd dodged latrine duty with a well traded favor, and had even managed to trade some rather expensive local wine to Trooper Krast for a luxury that he'd missed sorely...

The Corporal laid on his bunk, eyes shut, fingers idly skimming up over the body of a curvy, nicely crafted instrument- a local guitar of solid make, with an undamaged body and long neck with six intact strings- tuning it quietly while his other bunkmates were out. Noise would be the devil for him to try to get the notes as crisp and correct as he could.

Once satisfied, he started picking a local melody, humming softly to himself.
Main:

DrAwesome2012

Postby DrAwesome2012 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 am

"Ugh, I hate this" Sergeant Vlaev says lighly as he oversees 3rd squad's progress on the destroyed side of the barracks. "Frak yuo Sergeant" Trooper Microslava calls from her place beside a newly raised scrap wall. They soldiers were setting up metel sheets to serve as a wall in the blistering sunlight while being bombed by the Tau and the local Owl population to boot, as Vlaev sits in the shade drinking Iced Tanna tea. A chorus of complaints follows the first, and the valhallen sarge is forced to let his men take a break to stop a mutiny.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77
Corporal Tayber Luskin, just an ordinary Guard sniper from Cadia, and Shas'Ui Kisi, a disgruntled Tau medic without a past

CyGamer

Postby CyGamer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 pm

"Look, Last time I got you something I got called to Holts office and had to explain what an "Eldar Ear" really was. I was this close to being shot! I got stuck with Midnight PT duty. Midnight PT DUTY!" Krast argued with a grumbling Second Son squad. Since he'd got Vayne that guitar, everyone had come to him looking for something. New pair of socks, snacks from their home planet, Iho and Amasec a plenty, and more hard stuff. He was making a killing, but the NCO's were getting a bit suspicious. And after that last order he now had Holts attention. With a sigh, he took out a little note book.

"Fine, what do you want? Its costing you double though."

"Toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, any soap." They said after a bit of conversing. Krast was moderately surprised by the common request. Then they had to ruin it.

"Oh and an Sororities pin up calendar!" One chipped in, and the other affirmed the request. If he hadn't turned his flamer in for a tune up, he would have left the Kroot some well done Second Sons. Grumbling, swearing, and throwing them all a death glare, he filled out the notebook.

Who says the future has to be grimdark? Matt Ward that's who.

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:58 pm

"You know, hanging one of those up wouldn't be too bad," Vayne called through the open door after the Second Son had gotten out of earshot, giving the Cadian a crooked but toothy grin from where he was lying with his ankles crossed, fingers idly strumming the strings.

"The Sorority pin-up calendar, that is," He mused, eyes rolling over to regard Krast, "Not the soap, even though some lads could use a hint."

[[Also takes all my self control not to go outside and strum the tetris song to their building a wall lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6-YR8n7be4 ]]
Main:

CyGamer

Postby CyGamer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:27 pm

"Yeah, I want one too. But the thing will get scooped faster than a bottle of Amasec surrounded by ratlings. Plus I don't think the Sisters on base would take to kindly to having that around." Krast sighed and sat on his bunk. He would fight an Ork Warboss for some extra sleep. And extra pillow and a woman to share them with, if he was fighting a warboss. He listened to Vayne play, when he remembered the bottle of Amasec he got for that. He reached under his cot, and pulled out a box filled with paper. He rummaged through it a bit before pulling out a bottle of dark brown and red liquid.

"Want some? Its a fine vintage." Krast said, a bit smug.

DrAwesome2012

Postby DrAwesome2012 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Luskin pops his head in, as if he sensed the bottle being opened, and leaned against the door frame. "All I caught was something about soap, sister pinups, and fine vintage. All things I'd be OK with right about now" He says and walks to his bunk. When he reaches his destination, he pulls out his las pistol and begins to do maintenance for his weapon. "About those pinups. I know a guy who knows a guy who could get you one" He smiles mischievous. "The soap might be a bigger challenge"
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77
Corporal Tayber Luskin, just an ordinary Guard sniper from Cadia, and Shas'Ui Kisi, a disgruntled Tau medic without a past

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:02 pm

"I might play better after a sip or two," Vayne smirked, sitting up and reaching out to take the bottle, tipping it back for a swig- though he had swallowed slowly to savor the flavor of it... Fine vintage indeed.

He passed the bottle back to Krast, before regarding Luskin with a raised eyebrow, his hand flat on the strings, and his strumming having stopped for now.

"Sure, you might know a guy who knows a guy, but what can I offer in return?" He mused, sliding his feet off his bunk and setting them down to sit properly on it with the guitar balanced on his lap.
Main:

Corporal Antioch

Postby Corporal Antioch » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Corporal Antioch sat in a corner of the barracks room swamped in a heap of hundreds of blankets, pillowcases, and other linens. As one of the better sewists on the base the job of patching up the myriad of frayed ends, holes, and other damages to the barracks blankets fell solidly on his lap and he was more than happy to have it that way. He got to sit on an old pillow and shuffle about linens while other people dug ditches he didn't even have to slack off to make it happen. The job had gotten a bit more tedious since he'd gotten moved out of the barracks a few months ago, though, as he was essentially sewing up holes in blankets for people he didn't really know.

As Vayne strummed away on the Guitar he hummed along to the tune before realizing that, despite the fact that he had no idea the name of the song, it seemed familiar.

"Oy Corporal. What's the name of that song you're playing?"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

DrAwesome2012

Postby DrAwesome2012 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:09 pm

"Well, if I remember correctly, I own the next 3 generations of his family from card games, he never was any good at tarot, so I'd count him down as owing me one" He stops his work with the pistol for a second. "As for me, community service is its own reward" Then, after some over exaggerated thinking, he adds, " And a top off wouldn't hurt, either" and gestures to the flask sitting next to him (we'll assume he found it since the SNAFU at the range)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Main:

CyGamer

Postby CyGamer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:13 am

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:26 am

Main:

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:28 am

Between two bunks, someone had strung up a reasonably clean sheet, and set up a large table behind it, on which (and under which) sat several vox sets in various states of repair. The sheet functioned to both muffle the occasional hums from the active units and keep the various flashing lights from disturbing those who were seeking well deserved rest.
With a stifled yawn, Vox Officer Ahde pushed the makeshift curtain aside, and sat down heavily on the surface of the desk. He did have an office, but with so many sets to work on, it was easier to just dump his recent work near his bunk as well. He dropped his vox headset to his shoulders and looked around, smiling cheerfully, and enjoying the sound of voices not filtered through vox static.
"Beats our songs from back home," the Mordian chuckled, "most of them are about it being so dark that you can't see anything. Or so cold you can't go outside. Or so cold and so dark, that- you get the idea."

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

DrAwesome2012

Postby DrAwesome2012 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:50 am

"Hmmmm... A nice, well matured amasec from hightown would really hit the spot, yet, somehow, I don't think a pinup poster is worth that" Luskin dawns an innocent expression, "Yet I would not be against it if you so wish to be generous" He over exaggerates another thinking spell. "How about a nice bottle of some of the local stuff, pretty good, as local drinks go" as the Mordanian speaks up, he looks over to the vox station. "Ya, isn't that why you Mordanian boys wear those bright, sniper bait uniforms?"
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77

Corporal Antioch

Postby Corporal Antioch » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:45 am

Antioch looked up from his sewing at "Why is it that every song that we Guardsman seem to know always consists of being dirty, being depressing, or people dying? You fellas ever notice that?"

He folded up the sheet he was working on and set it aside. "Like, seriously: We're a damn depressing bunch most the time. You'd think with the collective experience of millions of people from all over the galaxy we could get some more spritely tunes. Ya think?"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:46 pm

"Dreams are a strong motivator, as is environs I suppose..." Vayne responded to the comments from the Mordian as well as the Cadians, "Well lucky for you gents, I'm not from a depressing drab place; born and bred right in High Town. We've plenty of upbeat and just as much dirty," he smirked, "I can accommodate for something more... peppy."

He glanced over at Luskin, grinning with a wink, "Oh please, have some faith that I still have some taste, I'll get you something good. Besides, what benefits you benefits me." There was something behind that grin that suggested more, but the Corporal was tight-lipped about it.

Shifting slightly and pressing his finger flat across one of the frets to change the key of his notes, Vayne started strumming a new, more upbeat tune, his foot tapping a beat combined with soft thrumming of the body of the guitar. "... Now I'm singin' like, girl, you know I want your love..."

If anything, the idle soft singing and jamming on the guitar seemed like something the Corporal actually enjoyed doing, as most glimpses of him around the base indicated he hated every bit of activity on it with the dour look ever-plastered on his face.

[[OOC: FOR LACK OF BETTER IDEAS, I started just typing lyrics of what I was listening to lmao. Think some and we're good.
Though I never really thought about whether or not Vayne would sing, I only ever imagined him serenading ladies with some romantic folk songs lol...]]
Main:

DrAwesome2012

Postby DrAwesome2012 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:04 pm

"Dicks, depression, and death. Welcome to the Guard!" Luskin says sarcastically. "By the way, Antioch? Some arsehole put an auto pistol round through my cap at the range. If you get a chance, you mind taking a look? I can pay"
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Ahde turned from watching Vayne play, and smiled very dryly at Luskin, his dark face full of mischief, "No, we wear these nice uniforms to set an example... And give the rest of you lot something to think about in your down time." it sounded an adult enough response, until anyone saw that he was making an obscene gesture down at belt level.

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

CyGamer

Postby CyGamer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:07 pm

"I don't know, perhaps facing giant green fungus the size of a space marine, pointed ear assholes that run around like rabbits, Fish people that fire plasma like its candy, Metal zombies that fire green plasma like candy, giant bugs that eat everything and just keep coming, traitors and heretic space marines, and daemons that are made of rape and lemon juice." Krast listed off to Antioch. He looked over and shrugged.

"Maybe its just me, but really doesn't seem like the most cheerful stuff to write about." He pulled up the bottle of Amasec and to a sip. No one could say the guard wasn't colorful though. Mostly in language, but they had moments.
Last edited by CyGamer on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.