[OPEN] base rough rider paddock "The Zoo"

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Fri May 26, 2017 12:11 am

"Affectionately" named after an outburst by a nameless elite Kasrkin and situated north-east the south barracks, The Zoo - or alternatively 'that damned Zoo' depending on which way the wind is blowing - is a clearing that came about due to the increased influx of rough rider regiments making it apparent that letting them simply wander about the base was not going to end well (especially after an incident in the north barracks)

modest even by guard standards, it consists of little more than bulldozed earth, some tents and re-purposed munitorum armoured containers arranged together in conjunction with a disused skyshield landing pad for the units to take shelter in or under, with the remains of ruined hab blocks pushed out of the way to form the perimeter, though when a contingent of krieg death riders arrived it did receive some modest (by krieg standards) fortifications - only one minefield, two heavy stubber pits and an aegis defence line - the only other structure is a crassus armoured transport, the defacto place of residence for metasurgeon cheslock to do her biopsies of xenos samples inbetween tending to the mounts

as befitting its name, The Zoo is home to many different types of cavalry mounts. Horses, Venumexes, Krieg steeds, Mukaali, Grox, Aethexes, Raptgars, Gusions, Marrus, Usirs and even a single Shetland Pony (which no one knows how it got there or dare approach after it bit off more than a few hands of those who got too close) inhabit this space, their territorial behaviour mostly kept in check by a combination of common experience between the riders and abundance of room, the smell from piles of varied manure which needs to be periodically incinerated is awful beyond belief but it is tolerated by the rest of the base as it and the more carniverous mounts keep the owl population down to bearable levels

[[works the same way as krieg HQ or the barracks threads, feel free to pop by if you wish to have a moment of the metasurgeons time/have samples to bring, have a bone to pick with the resident lizzard riders, or whatever reason really. and sorry about the stink, it was private dross's turn to incinerate the piles]]
Last edited by blinddeadmcjones on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
guard characters: ///

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Fri May 26, 2017 5:18 am

Knight Lieutenant Havelock Strakken started the morning as he always did with a morning physical exercise and weapon forms with his Power Glaive. He was stripped to his waist, displaying a fair amount of muscle and A well toned set of Abs. His short black and red striped hair matching the coloring of his Raptgar charges. Who stood by with a mild interest as they awaited the next activity of the morning run.

[Great Idea Mcjones]

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Sat May 27, 2017 1:36 am

across from havelock a good 50 paces away, sargeant marida was also in the process of warming up, much like the knight lieutenant she had eschewed the armour, dressed lightly and was showing an impressive degree of muscle herself.

"ready?" she called out to the lieutenant, twirling her sword in one hand.

meanwhile all the way on the other side of the clearing, levi was also striped to his waist and hard at work, checking over supplies in preparation for the next patrol, organising rations, maps, weapons, ammunition, and other pieces of equipment onto their respective saddles, until he found something that definitely wasn't on the list

"what the.." he muttered as he pulled out the item from the requisitions pile "well this is...wonder who that belongs to."

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Sat May 27, 2017 9:39 am

In answer to Marida's question, Havelock did a quick jumping slash, followed by an upwards slash, and a backwards quickstep. His routine ending with him in a balanced ready stance with the glaive's blade held low. He offered a quick, fierce smile that hinted he was waiting for her move.

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Makarov had expected many things when she'd come back to Halls office after service. More boxes in the office, someone trying to scrape letters off the door, guardsmen there to contest some write up, maybe even that stuff she'd requisitioned. (She couldn't believe it when she found out that she could get those holovids all the way out here!)

What she hadn't expected was the box with the giant, oddly constructed saddle in it. Really, with how requisitions worked, maybe she should have though. She checked where it was supposed to go and sighed. It was on the right base so she could probably at least see it to its destination instead of just returning it to supply.

And that lead her to the Zoo, hauling a giant saddle for some animal she wasn't sure of but that was probably bigger than that savage pony that was in the area. She did her best to look like a commissar should, stormcoat, and stormed expression as she marched along with her haul, but it was probably still an amusing sight. It was also all that she could do to keep herself looking serious and not put a hand up to try to block out the smell. God Emperor the smell! How did people ignore that?

There were a few people around. Two looked busy practicing so she declined to other them. The other was busy with his mount, so he could probably be bothered about the requisition flub. She made her way over not trying to be innocuous but, dropping the saddle down loudly just in case her approach had been missed- startling animals was bad, troopers even more so.

"Good morning trooper." Everyone loved surprise commissars!

((morning, afternoon, whatever is appropriate for the thread! It's all good! : D ))

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Sun May 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Drax, Havelock's personally bred and trained mount, had a fair amount of free reign around the Zoo, given his higher than average intellect and respect for the other mounts. He took an interest in the new stranger in the long black coat. He started stalking her with an almost mischievous air.

As she stopped to talk to the trooper, Drax stood quietly behind her sniffing her hat. Levi would be able to see Drax hovering slightly behind the Commissar.

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Mon May 29, 2017 1:04 am

if the thud noise from behind didn't get levi's attention the greeting in a very commissar-ish tone certainly did, the corporal turned around still clutching the misplaced item he found in the requisitions pile and for once in his life he found himself at a loss for words, his eyes looked at the saddle the junior commissar now in front of him had been carrying, then back to what he was holding, then to the raptgar behind makarov

this cycle repeated itself a good five times, his mind racing to figure out which conclusion to draw, but even then it seemed like a moot point if he didn't know to say, what could he say? this one while admittedly junior commissar didn't have that air of bumbling ineptitude that cat exuded

it didn't help that the hormonal part of his brain thought that she looked kind of cute

"uh...hi" he eventually began, scratching the back of his head sheepishly

--

before havelock had begun to smile marida had already started her charge the second he finished showing off, thrusting the sword tip at him when she got into range

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Mon May 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Makarov did her best to ignore the beast behind her. As far as she was aware animals were... generally not that intelligent and prone to coming and seeing new people before wandering back to the folks that took care of them. She did, however, take her hat off so that Drax wouldn't eat it or lick it or something else completely unacceptable. She also glanced about for anyone that might take care of the creature (and that pony) in case she had to shoo it away.

However as Levi turned her attention was drawn to what he was holding; As the Moon Turn. Of course he had her soaps, the Emperor had a cruel sense of humor while on this world. If he'd had some scrap-booking things at least that would look dignified, or reasonable. Saying 'hey, I think you have my crappy tv show please give it back' sounded far less commissar. She hadn't read the file of everyone on base (that would be silly) but with his scars and build he looked like he'd been in the guard for a while and would know what to expect from the average commissar. She realized that she hadn't responded and coughed slightly, trying to play off her prolonged and despondent silence as an effect of the smell.

"Ahem, yes. I think that there's been a mistake with requisitions. I have this saddle." She shook the thing, "And I do not actually use them, despite what people might think about commissars." God she was hilarious! That was a great joke. Humor would definitely put him more at ease. "So I thought that I would come and see who's it might be. It looks like you had your own requisition flub as well, unless that's your taste in shows..."

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Mon May 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Havelock neatly flipped the tip of his Glaive and knocked it to his right. Which he quickly followed up with a step forward and smooth spin of his weapon to swing the butt of his weapon towards Maridia's now exposed gut. He gave a short grunt of effort as he gauged the amount of power to swing effectively but not to actually injure his sparring opponent. That was bad form after all.

Drax attention followed the Commissar's hat as she removed it. He made a sound deep in his throat not unlike a purr and a bird call as he cocked his head to one side to allow his right eye a chance to fully take in what was in front of him. However he kept a fairly decent amount of space between himself and the Commissar so she didn't feel crowded. Just enough to that she knew he hovered.

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Tue May 30, 2017 6:12 am

"heheh well actually..." levi began in regards to the holovids "...um..well...we all have our vices right? no shame in that..unless it's y'know...something not..sanctioned...same with the saddle if you're into that sorta of thing...not saying that you personally are..." smooth levi real smooth... the corporal mentally chided himself as he dug a metaphorical trench so deep and elaborate it would impress a krieger
"but errr..if you were...hypothetically speaking of course.. i'm not one to judge...cos well...not my place to judge, that would be stepping on the toes of the emperor and...uhhh"

stop. digging. yourself. deeper. and just. hand over. the fraking. holovids. now. frakface.

levi stopped rambling for a second to hand over the vids
"also, i'm only up to season 10 so.."

kill. me. now.

--

marida knew from havelock's body language that a gut hit was coming after he deflected her blade, she wasn't concerned given he paused for a slight moment to regulate his striking force

first mistake.

when the butt of the glaive connected she let herself double over, falling into a roll and then sweeping one of her legs out to strike the back of his knee after she landed on her feet, aiming to bring his legs out from under him

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 am

/

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Wed May 31, 2017 5:20 pm

(Quickness roll 2+3= 5)

Havelock took the brunt of the blow to his leg and rolled in the opposite direction. He quickly jumped to his feet.

"Well done, Sgt." He complimented as he retook his stance, allowing her to regain her feet.

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:44 am

Makarov let Levi sweat for a moment, just arching a brow and looking incredulous when he said something about being 'into that sort of thing' with the saddle. She did look down at the saddle. "....That looks far too big for any sort of thing other than actual riding. But I'm no expert. I'll defer to you."

She wasn't sure what to say about only letting the Emperor judge. On one had, it was a good idea, on the other commissars tended to be judg-y folk too. She guessed that in the Emperors absences judgement could fall to an officer, or a commissar. Regardless she took the vids, tucking her hat under her arm as she did. Casting a glance around to make sure that on one was paying much attention she lent forwards and added.

"Season 11 is really entertaining. You find out who's the father of the baby and the kidnapping gets resolved." With that she stood back up

Currently playing:

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:23 am

moment she was back on her feet Marida came at havelock again like a missile, swinging her blade in wide oblique arc's while she tried to look for an opening

[[0+2 quick = 2]]

--

for the second time that day levi found himself dumbfounded, not entirely sure he heard her right "wait...really?.." as the commissar resumed her straight posture he coughed to clear his throat and likewise stood to attention "Corporal Levi Slone, Prometheron 653rd. thank you for clearing up the requisitions mistake, it'd be kinda difficult to go scouting without the saddle, so um..I really appreciate it commissar..." he trailed off when he realised he didn't know her name

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:50 am

(Forceful 1+2=3)

Havelock intercepted the blow with the haft of his weapon before stepping in close to place his leg behind Merida's in an attempt to sweep her from her feet.

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 pm

If she had heard anything Makarov certainly didn't respond to his question. It would have been most uncommissarly. That she gave a small nod in response to... something, was completely unrelated and absolutely deniable. Maybe she just had a little twitch. Who knows!

As he stood more at attention she did as well, or looked like she might have tried to. With Makarovs ramrod stragiht posture as the norm it was hard to tell. "Ah, of course. My apologies, I'm Junior Commissar Zoya Alekexandrovich Makarov. Good to meet you corporal Slone." She gave a small, polite smile at the introduction. "Of course. It would be remiss of me not to. I know that one can ride without a saddle, but I would think it more difficult, and inadvisable when you might go into a combat situation. I wouldn't want anyone on base to go into combat, or a possible combat situation with anything less than the most optimal situation that we can provide. Especially as a scout, you said, correct?"

Currently playing:

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:28 am

[[1+3 forceful = 4]]

in response to havelock's foot placement, Marida wrapped her arms around him in a bearhug. grasping the wrist of her sword arm with her free hand and leaning backwards into the fall, using her sparring partners superior height, weight and strength against him

--

"you heard correctly" slone replied "need something quietly tracked down or a structure blown up, we're your guys" it was about now that a sound of an owl being eaten in one bite could be heard with a sudden SNAP, a few moments later winston came sliding around the corporals left side and began nuzzling him, knocking the man over
"GAH" slone exclaimed as he fell on his ass "not now winston..kinda busy here..." he was cut off as the giant reptile licked his face before belching, a small puff of feathers came out and floated in the breeze

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Makarov smiled and waved away the feathers. She offered a hand, the one not holding the vids, obviously. She tried to stay out of the way of the large reptile that was most likely Slones mount. Either that or an animal that he was so used to that it was all but his; possibly one from his unit? "Dangerous work, that, but important and useful. I'm used to riding around on APCs or tanks myself, so I don't think that I'd be well suited to scouting out anything quietly.

"Though... if, while you're out scouting, could you maybe keep an eye out for a commissar, or a tank crew bereft of their tank? Commissar Hall has been, ahem, missing for a while, so, if you might happen to see him or his body it would be good to take stock, for records, of course." She realized that she was rambling and did her best to force herself to stop quickly.

Currently playing:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Havelock fell heavily, caught completely off guard by Maridia's maneuver. He landed with an audible "OOF" as the wind was knocked out of him. Fortunately, he had splayed out his arms and his Glaive, while still in his grasp, was well clear of the now tangled pair of fighters. He looked down at Maridia.

"Well, do we continue from here and include ground hand to hand practice? Or should we assume you won that exchange and continue to bout 2?" He asked, strange eyes peering down at her. He seemed unaware of any appearances should someone happen to glance at them at that moment.

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:32 am

eventaully wilson settled and levi was able to move him to one order have some room, but found himself pausing for a second and looking up at makarovs face before realising she was offering a hand

"ah..thanks" he began as he was hoisted up "and ah yeah, has it's moments but mostly its like camping only quieter, say anyone ever tell you that you cute when you smile"

silence filed the area as the corporal just realised what he said

it's over idiot, you're going to die here and now and the last thing you did was tell a commissar that their smile was pretty.

*COUGH* "i mean, yes of course we can keep an eye out for any missing commissars or tank crew, i-i'm certain sargeant beckett won't have any issue with that. um..would you mind if we had a cup of recaff sometime later though? t-to go over details i mean, of the missing mens appearance, gear, last noted location, stuff like that you know...so we uh, know what we're looking for"

--

"like hell we are calling it here" marida exclaimed at havelock's suggestion they move to a round 2 despite the compromising position she was in and similarly having the wind knocked out from having him land on top of her "we're keeping this going till you start fighting like you mean it" she brought her knee up to force some distance between them and rolled so that the raptgar rider was no longer on top of her, curling her hands into fists as she brought one of them back to strike