[OPEN] base rough rider paddock "The Zoo"

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Hat did her best to not breath a sigh of relief when Angry Sergeant dismissed her. However, she wasn’t totally off the hook for Sgt Manner asked her to help him ‘find the tool box’. Once there was some distance the charade quickly fell as he asked her what was going on, his anger clear even in the whisper.

Being a Penal legionnaire, Hat naturally distrusted authority. Sergeants were probably the most she trusted out of any authority figure but a voice in the back of her mind whispered not to trust him for he’ll just pull rank and take the treasure for himself. However, she knew she couldn’t do this herself. She couldn’t trust Erika for she’ll probably take the treasure to command and the penal legionnaire wouldn’t see a glint of it, the explosive Sergeant would probably take it for herself, and the only one she trusted was being taken to the brig.

Hat’s hazel eyes darted around as she tried to decide whether to trust Wilfred. He was a Sergeant, but he’s been with them in this since the beginning. Plus he did share lho sticks with her. If there was anyone she could trust out of the people here he was probably the best bet. She gave one last look to make sure no one would overhear before whispering, “We found it. You know, the thing.”

She pointed her head and eyes toward the tractor to indicate where, and perhaps what, the ‘thing’ was.
Apparently, I made too many characters. Here they are:

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm

//

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:47 am

Back in she goes!
Erika rushed back towards the shed from which she led the Ogryn by hand and towards the crates that need moving.

/

Riveris

Postby Riveris » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 pm

He was silent a moment as he let his eye adjust to the darkness blinking a moment he would sigh and rub his temple for a moment "I could tell that. What im talking about was what you and Joseph were trying to pull back there." he sighed as he spoke again "Just be honest with me." he said calmly. He could tell the trooper was nervous about something but really didnt have a clue as to why she was. "I swear on Vulkans flame I wont get upset."

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Wilfred's next set of statements made Hat pause. What they were trying to pull? The treasure, obviously. Maybe he was talking about how she tried to divert him? Understandable. Should she tell him? He did swear on Vulkan's flame. What did that mean though? Was that like swearing on the Emperor or the Flame Lord? It sounded pretty sacred nonetheless.

Hat let out a sigh before looking up at the Sergeant. "You see, when you are a penal legionnaire you tend not to trust authority because they tend to screw you over, like take all the loot you found," she explained quietly, "Can't trust Erika and we don't know you, a Sergeant, and we can't let anymore people adding know for that would make it more likely we get caught along with smaller shares. So, we did the best we could. Obviously didn't work the greatest."

Hat let out a heavy sigh and waited for some for of beratement; obvious from how she looked away from him.

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:06 am

"yeah...you really didn't think that one through" levi replied, still at a loss as to the 'why' but before he could bring that up joseph seemed an epiphany when he looked at levi's face, remarking about the time that they went into the abandoned asylum on a supply run, despite himself levi also felt a chill run down his spine at the mention of that particular outing

"if i never ever have to go near that place again then i can die a happy man" he said in response, leading the man further along "anyway, back to your bright idea, here's my next question. why?"
guard characters: ///

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:18 pm

"You and me both brother. I've seen too many creepy places like that in my short life time. Hopefully that will be the last.". When Levi ask the 'why' question, Joseph pondered for a moment. At this point he was over it and felt Levi was trustworthy. "Would you believe treasure we have been hunting for since this morning when I found a map under a bed in the south barracks? I could cut you in if you make sure Hat at least gets something out of the clusterfu... golden throne!"

Although the sudden exclamation may at first seem out of place, Levi would soon find the cause if he followed the Bacaran's eyes. Before the two guardsmen and Erika who had just jogged up was the ogryn Keith, now mounted on the poor pony. Defying both the laws of physics and reality itself, the pony was managing to support the towering mass of muscle, though by the way it was shaking it was anyone's guess for how much longer it would last. Keith at least, was very happy.
//

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:30 am

indeed levi did quickly find out what the cause for the bacarans exclamation was, between that and josephs claims of finding treasure the corporal wasn't sure how to react for a few seconds beyond a drawn out "oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...", until he promptly snapped out of his stupor and switched to putting out the larger of the two fires

"uh..keith is it? buddy while i understand that you're happy and having fun, that pony isn't going to be able to hold up your weight for much longer, so if you could hop off soon, everyone would really appreciate it, especially the sargeants. k?" with that bit of diplomacy underway the deathworlder turned his attention back to joseph.
"look, i hate to break this to you but that 'treasure' you found is more than likely just someones stash of booze, lho's and/or Sisters of Battle pinups, maybe a couple of time-off permits too if you're lucky, now leaving aside the issue of taking someone elses stash, you tried to dig it up in front of my sargeant of all people. given her current mood because of that she's definitely going to burn the lot of whatever it is, unless by some miracle hat and the other sargeant can put her in a good mood, then maybe, maybe she will change her mind and let hat keep it instead."

Riveris

Postby Riveris » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:31 am

Wilfred would look at hat for a few moments and he felt a little dumbfounded. He had not actual expected that to work. With a breath he would place his still human hand onto the penal troopers shoulder. He was going to keep his word. "Hat. I promise you. I am not planning on pulling rank nor am I going to try and screw you or anyone like a shaftrider. You have my word." He said looking her in the eye. His eyes finally adjusted he looked for a moment and he saw the tool box. Picking it up "and if that is not enough for you to trust me. What will be?" He heard the commotion outside and instantly didnt like it.

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Keith looked blankly at Levi for a moment, then resumed his smile. "E's ok. E's hold'm up just fine."

As much as Levi's explanation about his superior might have been helpful, Joseph's attention was elsewhere at that moment. "No Kieth, he isn't holding up fine at all! Now as Slone here said, the sergeant wouldn't be happy with this. You know how anger sergeants can get?". Keith smile dropped as he thought for a moment, then nodded. "Sar's can be scary.". It seems that the abhuman is caught between a tough decision: dismount the pony or face the scary sergeants wrath.
//

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Hat flinched when a hand found itself on her shoulder. She looked up to find the Sergeant looking her in the eye, promising he wasn't going to screw her over. He would find her genuinely shocked. When he asked for her to trust him she looked back at the tractor and said, "We got to get that lizard off the loot and get it out of here."

She grabbed the toolbox. "I can get that tractor working quick but how we getting that lizard off?" she asked quietly.

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Fri May 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Ponies are smaller horses, smaller horses which are unsuitable to carry a Guard Unit and its equipment, Ogryns are heavier.

"Failure to immediately cease Pony Unit Operation will result in breaking its legs. Pony Units with broken Legs are terminated. Your selfish indulgence will result in its death, sergeant will be very very very angry and Unit Keith will not be permitted to paddock ever again."

The Kriegerin walked closer to the Pony and repeated.
"Cease Operation, now!"

/

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Sat May 04, 2019 12:46 am

that's not helping. levi thought as erika barked at the ogryn, who looked to be paralyzed by indecision, thinking quickly he had an idea

"keith, buddy, if you get off the pony now, i promise when i come back from dropping joseph off i'll find you something that you can sit on without risk of hurting it. ok?"

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Sat May 04, 2019 2:43 am

At Erika's words, Keith look changed to pure horror. Then to one of a kid about to cry. It was clear that both the idea of the pony dying because of him and the guardsmen around him telling him off that he was deeply disturbing him. But just when it seemed he was about to break down and cry his heart out, Levi's kind words caught his attention. "Really?" The ogryn sniffed, eyes watering. The giant steep off the pony, which despite the load it had bared, remain standing. Keith with surprising care lifted the pony and cradled it in his meaty arms. "I'm sniff, really sorry. I didn't mean no arm.." He mumbled to both guardsmen and pony.

Although his could have given a look at Levi at the mentioned of being taken away, or better yet escaped during the panic, Joseph went up and patted the abhuman on the back. "There there brother, we know you ment no harm, and see. No harms done, so no need to cry.". Keith nodded, still sniffing back the tears.
//

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Thu May 09, 2019 9:18 am

With that distraction done with, they can proceed with their task.

"Unit Keith, you have a new task: Your ability is required outside with heavy weight displacement."
The Scout stated their current pressing objective.

/

Heart|Soul

Postby Heart|Soul » Sun May 12, 2019 12:10 am

Lourn stopped some distance from the paddock, gauging what was going on. He'd signed up earlier on some volunteer work here, since it had been short-staffed, but apparently others must have had the same idea. His eyes locked onto the woman who appeared to be in charge at the moment and approached Marida, saluting.

"Ma'am, I'm Guardsman Germaine. I was under the impression that there was a shortage of personnel here, and was hoping to fill in one of the needed duty slots."
Last edited by Heart|Soul on Fri May 24, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Riveris

Postby Riveris » Sat May 18, 2019 11:32 am

"I have no cracking clue. But backstabbing is not the way to do it." He said with a calm nod "Worse case scenario. I give up my share to help smooth things along." Turning around to head back towards the tractor as he continued to try and think of a way out of this with an idea striking him "Do you have any meat rations or something of the like Hat?" he asked. "I might have an idea"

He turned and saw Keith holding onto a horse the same way one holds onto a medium sized dog. Red in the face and sniffling but seemingly being handled alright. He let out a sigh. Another thing to find out later.

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Fri May 24, 2019 3:04 am

Hat seemed a little hurt that the Sgt thought she suggested backstabbing people. He then said he'll give up his share if things went too far south. She'll believe it when she sees it but her skepticism was cut short when he asked if she had meat rations. She seemed confused as she dug into her pack. She never knew when her next meal was going to be so, naturally, she collected food in case times were hard. After a few brief seconds, she dug out a small bag of jerky. She wasn't quite sure why he needed her jerky until she looked up and saw the lizard. She looked down at the bag, then back at the lizard again, and it clicked.

"Do your stuff, Sarge," Hat quickly swung her pack back on and grabbed the toolbox as she dashed to the tractor. She opened the hood again, turned a knob, flipped a switch, and the deadswitch button reset with a soft yet satisfying thunk. She smiled. All set to go.

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:57 am

//

Warsmith Wolf

Postby Warsmith Wolf » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 pm

To call a Krieg warhorse a 'horse' is to call a lagoon a small puddle - the function is comparable, but the form couldn't be any less similar. Bulky, hairless creatures with splayed feet capped in shovel-like claws, these vat-grown beasts have their rebreathers and chemical injectors surgically attached to their bodies, and have to be constantly monitored to ensure their volatile cocktails of stimulants remain in balance. They are horses in much the same way Kriegers are humans - weapons given the shape of something else.

Ironically, they are calm creatures. Too calm. Utterly desensitised to artillery barrages and land mines, Krieg warhorses are placid to the point of utter indifference, roused only by their rider's specific commands, drug injectors, and direct attacks upon their person - and once angered, are near impossible to put down short of grievous bodily trauma. It is no small surprise, then, that in the wake of the many months of campaigning on Naris, more Krieg warhorses have survived than Death Riders to ride them.

Why do they paddock here, one wonders? It's a practice that predates the Holt Doctrine - Death Riders of Krieg, in ever dwindling numbers, have stabled their mounts here since the campaign's start. Perhaps it's expediency, making use of existing facilities rather than burdening the Krieg compound any further, though given the near skeletal operation of the HQ they would certainly have the room to accommodate them. Regardless, theirs are a strange and rarely spoken kind, more content to monitor their steeds than converse with anyone.

The Holt Doctrine, in recent weeks, has brought a change to this. The 554th's Death Riders have made attempts to talk - likely from an order from higher up - though few possess the articulation to do little other than ask blunt facts about other steeds.

Salutation. Neither you nor your steed has expired. This is considered commendable in non-Krieg culture. Continue to not expire.

That they are trying at all is a novelty, though somehow it makes them seem less human. At least when they were silent you could let your imagination run wild as to what went on behind that mask. Only when they attempt to converse, droning out blank and flat platitudes, does one realise that nothing goes on behind the mask. They repeat what other people have said because saying things is What People Do. It doesn't matter that what they say is empty and that they can't think of anything else, because the fact they spoke at all means they are doing the People Thing, and that ticks the box.

Some people say it was better when they didn't. Watching them try to talk is either pitiable or unnerving. No-one's quite sure which.

One such rider is tending to their steed now, all dressed up in their pungent chemically sealed greatcoat, high riding boots, and signature Type V respirator. They appear to be occupied with the Krieg's stock of steeds at present, silently moving between each warhorse, occasionally producing a phial of dubious liquid and hooking it into the steed's chem injector. It is as methodical and precise as anything related to Krieg can be expected to be, and, for the moment, they haven't spoken a word.
Ferrum honore veniat.