[OPEN]Motor Pool (Post-Stultus, Post-fire, Looking for work? We're eager to hire!)

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
Whiteshield Cannon Fodder

Postby Whiteshield Cannon Fodder » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:24 pm

"That does seem a much more practical method of hiding my tendrils." Milo clicked and whirred for a moment, white digits of code running behind his eye-lights as he processed this. At last, he bobbed in agreement. "Yes, I think that will do much better. After all, blankets are silly, and tech-priests are not." Another cryptic statement. Wiggle, wiggle... "Do you know of a longer robe I could acquire, Zeltra-25?"

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:23 pm

The holy Tech Priest seemed to think about her recommendation for a moment before saying that it was a much better alternative. He then asked her where he might acquire it. "Answer: There is personnel in the headquarters designated to deal with equipment, weapons, armor, and etcetera. I can take you to one charged with maintaining and issuing new robes," Zeltron-25 said.
Apparently, I made too many characters. Here they are:

LaxKnight's Character Hub

Postby Whiteshield Cannon Fodder » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:25 pm

(oof, sorry for the super late reply)
M1-L0 wiggled excitedly at the prospect of new acquisitions, particularly a new robe. The one he was currently using was getting a little frayed. As a senile, excommunicate traitoris Magos once said, 'The Robe Is Soft'. M1-L0, being unable to feel anything at all, could only guess at the veracity , but he liked the red. It brought out his eyes, he thought. "Very well, Zeltra-25," he declared, extending what might have been a finger. "Let us go to this personnel, and acquire new robes!"

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:26 am

Zeltra-25 gave a nodded, about-faced, and marched toward their destination. It wasn’t too long until they arrived at a squat building where a few Skitarii stood on vigil. They came up to an altered tech serf behind a counter where Zeltra-25 waved the holy Tech Priest to go to. “Name and/or designation?” his bionic eye zoomed in on M1-L0.

Postby Whiteshield Cannon Fodder » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:39 am

Having followed Zeltra-25 to their destination, M1-L0 slithered forwards to greet the tech serf. "Enginseer M1-L0," said the tech-priest, losing none of his bubbly demeanor when addressing the serf. "What's yours?" He expected nothing more than a number in response, but it didn't matter. Machines and people both deserved courtesy. While he faced the serf, an optical mechadendrite slithered out from beneath his robe and began looking around idly. There didn't seem to be any buttons here... a shame. Now he was stuck with a single button, and no use for it. For now, anyway.

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:56 am

M1-L0 could almost see the gears of thought churning in the tech serf's brain as it searched through its databases to see if he was real. After a moment the serf straightened up. "Identity confirmed. I am called 1458-Bob G7," his tone was monotone, "How can I assist you, holy one?"

If his optical mechadendrite looked behind the serf, it would find large boxes of equipment in various states of quality along with racks of various weapons. Not all of them looked to be in top shape but seemed serviceable nonetheless. He would also see other serfs and a few 'volunteer' penal legionnaires moving and sorting items to their proper place or fetching them for some task.

Postby Whiteshield Cannon Fodder » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:10 am

The tech-priest brightened upon realizing that the serf's name wasn't just a plain digital code, but rather a combination of numbers and letters! That was much more colorful, in his opinion. "I am searching for a new robe, Bobby G," M1-L0 declared, while taking in the scene behind the serf and all around both of them. "The honorable Skitarii who you see behind me has directed me here, with the implications that you might be able to assist me in this venture. Do you have a robe you could supply me with - preferably one that could be used to cover most of my body?"

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:38 am

Zeltra-25 couldn't help but stiffen with a bit of pride when M1-L0 mentioned her. Honorable. It was a word that she often used to describe peoples of importance, such as M1-L0 or any other Tech Priest. She's never heard it used to describe her. As the Enginiseer spoke with the serf, her thoughts swirled as she considered if she was truly worthy of the title. She couldn't really fathom why she would be considered honorable. She was not important enough or of high enough standing to be given the term, especially by one vastly more superior than her. Perhaps it was the other definition, in which one upheld a code of rules and morals even in times of challenge or difficulty? She didn't really consider herself to have morals. She has enacted things for her masters that others might consider immoral and has even gone far enough to question orders given to her, but she always did what was asked of her and tried to live and operate by the tenents of the Cult Mechanicus. When not ordered she tried to deal with things fairly and logically with as much care as she could manage. Even under orders, she tried to follow those same principles. Perhaps in this way she could be considered honorable?

Zeltra-25 then considered what she has done so far to earn the title from M1-L0 in particular. As she has done is her duty and try to be helpful. Perhaps that was all that was enough to be considered honorable; doing one's duty?

1458-Bob G7 looked at the tech priest for a moment, processing, then commanded, "Please stand at your full or preferable height with arms bearing sleeves extended to the side, then do a slow 360-degree turn. This is to gain proper measurements."

Postby Whiteshield Cannon Fodder » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:54 am

"...Full or preferable height?" Well, those were two very different things. About four feet of difference, in fact. M1-L0 wound up vacillating uncertainly between five and six feet in height for a good few seconds before finally deciding on his average height, which was about 5'6. M1-L0 shoved several thick cables through the sleeves of his robe in lieu of proper arms, and did as the serf was asking, slowly turning 360 degrees. At the point he was facing Zeltra-25, one of his eye-lights flickered off before lighting up again a second later. He had in fact winked, a gesture he had been wanting to try out for a while despite not really knowing what it was supposed to mean. Soon he had turned a complete circle, and looked at the tech serf expectantly. "How is that?"

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:16 pm

1458-Bob G7 watched passively, completely opposite of Zeltra-25 who watched curiously, as M1-L0 shifted between heights until he finally settled on one. He ended up shorter than the 6 foot Alpha Skitarii. Once he got into position, the serf's mechnical eye lit up arnd rapidly moved up and down as he scanned the Tech Priest.

Zeltra-25 watched with as much interest as one who sought to guard him. When he faced her and their eyes met he winked at her. The Skitarii immediately became confused by the gesture as he turned away. Though her interactions with non-Mech people were still limited, she was aware that a wink was a common gesture that held a specific meaning. It was clearly deliberate for he only did it with one eye. Why did he do it for? It was often to convey a meaning that only the receiver was either supposed to understand, inferring something to the receiver, or signal that he was about to enact something contrary to what he was currently doing. But which was it? She's hardly accumulated enough data to be able to understand what message he was trying to convey. Was he in trouble? Was he about to do something disruptive or different and she should be prepared? Or was it something else?

After he finished 1458-Bob G7 droned, "Processing, please stand by."

He stared out into a space only he can see as his eyes flicked back and forth. Zeltra-25 stepped up to M1-L0's right.

"Query: Milo," he could tell she was uncomfortable leaving out the honorifics she gave to Tech Priests, "may I ask why you winked at me?"

Postby Whiteshield Cannon Fodder » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:18 pm

M1-L0 was the opposite of uncomfortable. He took it as a sign of familiarity that she would drop the honorific, which resulted in him then deciding that the colloquial forms of address he had been using thus far were doing good. Maybe he would, in fact, make a FR13ND if he continued like this. "I am uncertain," he admitted, his robes lumping in what might have been a shrug. "I do not actually know what it means to wink. We did not do such things on the Lathes, and thus, fleshy facial expressions are rather new to me. I intend on learning to replicate as many as I can, and understand what they all mean so that I can understand people better!"

He shuffled a bit closer to her, a few wires pressed below his eyes in a vaguely thoughtful expression. "May I ask why you call your questions and answers before saying them? I find it endearing, but it seems superfluous." His optical mechadendrite, raised behind his back, fixed on 1458-Bob G7, awaiting the conclusion of his processing.

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:13 am

Zeltra-25 waited for M1-L0's answer and was surprised by the answer. He did it because.... he didn't know what it meant? Was he trying to gauge what it meant by judging her reaction? This didn't make sense to her. How did he think she would react? From the sound of it, she was almost as clueless as he was. However, she could relate to his quest: she too sought to learn more about social cues and such. To her, any knowledge she could acquire was a boon and she found knowledge in that area was sorely lacking from her own experience.

He then asked her why she calls her questions and answers before saying them. It wasn't an uncommon question for Zeltra-25, she was well aware of how unusual it was, so she was well prepared for it.

"Answer: It is a quirk developed my transformation into a Skitarii Ranger Alpha. Admission: I honestly don't know why and my Maker has not stated a reason either. It also finds it amusing. Continuation: Whatever the case, he has not fixed it so I can't help but talk this way," she said.

After this admission 1458-Bob G7 shuddered. "We have found 3 robes that match your measurements and assumed preferences by 95% and higher, holy one. A servitor has been sent to retrieve them to see if they fit your needs. Please standby a few minutes longer," the serf droned.

Postby Whiteshield Cannon Fodder » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:36 pm

"I like it. It is what I believe is known as CH4RM1NG." M1-L0 had, in fact, been trying to discern its meaning through her reaction, but in retrospect realized that another Mechanicus might not have been the person to try this out on. Perhaps he should do it again with a fleshier receptor. For now, though, his focus fell to the serf, who had announced that there were robes that would suit him! He wriggled excitedly at the prospect of new things, something that always got him going. There were precious few novelties in the Mechanicus, so he sought it wherever else he could find it, even in such simple things as finding a button on a mattress. Anything new was welcome. "Thank you, Bobby G! I will do my best to be patient."

The Skitarii intrigued him, he found, even more so now that he knew of her curious quirk. He decided he would like to learn more about her, if she would be willing to share. "Tell me: are you familiar with the enemy we are facing? Have you encountered them?"

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Charming? Another word Zeltra-25 never heard used to describe…. Well…. Anything. This M1-L0 was certainly an interesting, if not slightly unorthodox, Tech Priest. So far though she concluded that she liked him but also needed to be watched. He seemed the sort who would accidentally cause trouble.

Zeltra-25 was then asked if she encountered the enemy. “Answer: I have engaged the Tau and/or rebel forces on this planet 4 times,” she paused, then asked, “Query: Would you like to know the data I have gathered on the meanings of a wink?”

Postby Whiteshield Cannon Fodder » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:43 pm

"Oh! I very much would like to know, if you are willing to share." More new things! This day was turning out to be a veritable treasure trove of new things. First a button, then Kriegers, a new FR13ND, robes and information! M1-L0 burbled happily before calming down enough to listen.

Incidentally, Zeltra-25 was quite accurate in her reading of him; his vivacious enthusiasm, combined with the literal mindset common to tech-priests, made for a combination that could indeed prove troublesome. The odds that he'd do something silly and receive a bolt round between his eye-lights were uncomfortably high. M1-L0 probably could calculate what those odds were, but he was much more concerned with finding out what winking meant.

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Glad to see the enthusiasm, Zeltra-25 straightened up to attention. “Disclaimer: All that I am about to share about winking is only theory made up of evidence I have gathered from limited interaction with non-Mechanicus personnel,” she stated before beginning, “Hypothesis: From what I have gathered, I have concluded that, while winking can have various meanings depending on the situation, winking generally is done to signal to a recipient, typically friendly, that the signaller is about to do something sly, crafty, or contrary to what they recently said. It is also a common signal used to enact a pre-planned action with partners participating in it. Often when someone is winking at you and you aren’t familiar with them it can either mean they plan to enact something sly or underhanded and are either asking you to trust them or whatever plan they are enacting is about to be at your expense. Being winked at could also mean that signaller is interested in you, likely seeking to initiate some sort of relationship. Warning: In conclusion, if someone you don’t know winks at you, be alert.”

Zeltra-25 gave a brief pause before saying, “Follow Up Query: Do you have any questions?”

At this moment 1458-Bob G7 piped up. “The robes you have requested are here,” he called.

A few Servitors arrived and set 6 red robes spread out on the counter. They were of slightly different make and design but all seemed in relatively decent quality, with a few sporting either small patches, holes, obvious stitching, or both.

“Head Logis rules that you can only take two robes at this current time due to supply shortages,” 1458-Bob G7 explained, “If you seek to try on these clothes before making a decision, there is a fitting room over there. We ask that they are kept in relatively the same condition until you have made a decision.”

He pointed to a wooden shack that looked more like an outhouse than a fitting room, hastily assembled after the motor pool fire.

Postby Whiteshield Cannon Fodder » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:33 pm

"0H!" M1-L0 fidgeted with his robes, configuring his body into a more... dignified(?) shape, and shuffled off towards the curiously outhouse-esque shack, giving Zeltra-25 a quick wave. "I will be back before long! Please do not depart; I will answer your query upon reemerging." A small servo-arm, having sacrificed strength for mobility and dexterity, extended to grab some of the robes. Not all of them fit in the claw, however, and the tech-priest was forced to gather up the rest of them in his arms. After fumbling with them for a bit - rigid metal was so easy to manipulate, why did cloth have to be all foldy? It vexed M1-L0 to no end - he finally managed to get a sure grip on all of them and entered the changing room.

Several minutes later, the Enginseer came out of the shack with a clearly oversized robe, sleeves hanging loosely from the cable-masses that were his arms and just long enough that the ends of the robe slightly trailed along the ground behind him. Despite this, he seemed totally content with this decision, a visible bounce in his step... slither... glide... movement. "I have found one that fits my requirements!" M1-L0 chirped, ensuring that his voice was full of inflections that he believed indicated approval. "Now, to answer your query - it is a fortunate thing that the W1NK connotes such things, for I do find you 1N73R3571NG and would very much like to initiate a relationship with you. The relationship in question being the state which is referred to as 'B31NG FR13ND5'. Occasionally displayed through the sharing of a colloquial-yet-specific handshake, or so I have observed." The tech-priest might have tilted his head, if he had a definite head to tilt; instead, his entire body curved sideways. "Would this be desirable to you as well, Zeltra-25?"