[Open/Social] Workshop / Repair shop

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:00 pm

"Pardon me one moment, Lieutenant-" Ollie, who had been trying to avoid having to get involved in the truck fiasco as best he could, foresaw the outcome of a concentrated but disorganised repair. And it was was an outcome his engineers would have to spend time on after.
He slid out from behind the counter and approached the small group checking out the stricken truck.

"Let's just hold up a second." he halted the various folk and Cruz, gesturing for them to gather closer around the vehicle.
"First, you all need a game plan. A full assessment. The state of the bed, check the axels, and which parts have taken the most heat damage?"
He pointed to the bonnet, "Is the engine as flattened as the metalwork? Which parts are compromised? Did the heat reach the main support structure? Is it weakened? Some of you are going to need to get under there and look, this is much too big for our workshop winch."

His explanation was patient, rather than terse. Because it was given for the first time. Ollie didn't know what level of understanding anyone else had, so his first pass was always patient. It was when things were repeatedly questioned, his temper frayed rapidly.

Stepping away, but remaining close enough should anyone need to know where to find things, he turned back to Neskovich, "Apologies. Sometimes it's better to give too much information and let people feel patronised than to assume everyone knows the same things, no? At least if you feel patronised, you are confident in your abilities."

He inclined his head under the sandy robes, "How private do you need to be?"

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:16 pm

As Ollie turned to address his helpers, Victoria thought she heard the sound of semi squeaky wheels. Semi-curious, she turned to see an abandoned trailer that was against a table. It seemed vaguely familiar but before she thought further on it she heard the Tech Priest finish talking so she turned back to face him. He apologized in which she gave a nod in understanding. “That won't be necessary. It's personal in the sense that these are my possessions. The first is my power sword,” her right hand patted it on her right hip, “The sword itself is fine, but a traitor he hit my hilt in a fight and now the power field won’t work anymore. It wasn't used much after the event. As for the other thing…”

The Vahallan pulled off her left-hand glove and held out her hand before him, revealing the bare bionics he has seen before except now there was a hole in the middle of her palm that he would have been able to see through if there weren’t some reconnected wires in the way. “... A Kroot shot my hand. Cheslock has done some work already but it still needs much work, as you can see,” Victoria finished.
Apparently, I made too many characters. Here they are:

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:55 am

"Hm. Miss Cheslock's repair would hold for a few weeks at the very least if I don't have the right components here." Ollie didn't need to look to know it was true, "However, we shall see what hasn't been raided from my supplies." the techpriest gave a small tinny laugh.
Inclining his head slightly, he gave the sword a cursory glance, "As a rule I don't deal in weaponry, Miss Neskovich, you have asked me before... But if it is only the power field, then I suppose, if there's nothing else in the queue... And nobody else here to work on it."Ollie gave a complicated shrug beneath the robes.

Still keeping one lens on the group near the truck, he retreated towards a cabinet beneath one of the workbenches, and pulled out a box of small armoured panels, replacement pieces for regiments, "We can cut you new casing from one of these. Non-conductive, stronger, and I have the grinders to do so neatly, compared to trying to do any small-scale plasma cutting with these stone age tools..." it was unclear if Ollie was speaking aloud for the lieutenant's benefit, or his own. Satisfied, he picked out two smooth pieces of material that matched the existing colour of Victoria's hand panels well enough.

Wandering to another bench, he pulled out a compartmented box of cabling and servo motors, before sighing and shaking out several rolled up candy wrappers and a depleted cigar stub. "Miss Waltz has a sense of curiosity," he muttered tersely.
gathering the parts, he gestured for Victoria to follow him to the main dividing bench, where he pulled up a stool for her.
"What functions suffered when you were initially hit?"

Mordian Characters:

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:57 am

guard characters: ///

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:56 am

Tabitha gave a quick nod to both Ollie and Levi and headed to the side to get a pump to empty the fueltank with, hopefully it hadn't been leaking too much, given how it must've been sheared off from the engineblock or it would have also been pulled loose from the truck. As she grabbed the pump she also grabbed a bucket and a light that she handed to Levi. He'd need it if he was going to be the one heading underneath the truck.

"Careful, there's no telling how much or how little that's holding the drivetrain and fueltank in place. Make sure you're not under them when you touch them."

Putting the bucket and pump next to the truck's fueltank in case they'd be neccessary, she then hurried around to open the bonnet and try to get a good look from above.
Private Tabitha Maru - Lieutenant Yudel Eckhardt

Thanks to blinddeadmcjones for the avatar

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Victoria followed Ollie as he searched for components. The news of people raiding him for parts was distressing. Perhaps she needed to set up some sort of guard? Have some Skitarii? Or perhaps she might have to assign some of her own people to do so. Her reminder that he didn’t deal with weaponry put her thoughts back in the now. He seemed to be implying that, while reluctant, he could work on it if there was nothing else.

“You don’t have to work on it if it’s against your morals, Ollie. I’m not asking for a improvement or modification. All I ask is at the least to take a look so I know what to tell the next guy; maybe fix it if it isn't too much trouble,” she said.

This sword was given to Victoria by her father. It wasn’t a family heirloom or fancy, it was fairly plain in fact, but he personally issued it to her during her graduation and that to her made it a treasure. The thought of some tech priest modifying it to their will was horrifying to her. If she couldn’t bring it to one she trusted, she should at least know what to tell the others in hope that they would actually follow it.

The conversation moved on to the Lieutenant's hand. Ollie spoke about having stronger materials to use for her hand but he seemed to be more thinking aloud than talking to her. Miss Waltz? That name…. Sounded familiar. She remembered seeing it cross her desk a few times. Ollie’s question about her hand broke her train of thought.

Victoria looked down at her hand tried to clench and unclench her hand in thought. He would indeed see that it was moving slower than it should, struggling due to the damaged or missing parts. “Constant twitching, sparking, and pain. I had no control over it,” she said.

She paused as something he mentioned earlier came back to mind. "Ollie, you mentioned raids on your supplies. Do you need sentries or a guard?" she asked.

QuothTheRaven

Postby QuothTheRaven » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:00 pm

Cruz stops the saw only just after it bites into the metal. She hefts the winding down blade and pushes up the spark goggles, sighing ruefully. "Yeah, alright, i guess we can talk about it some more first."
She jumps down off the cab and lays the heavy tool next to the box then comes over to look over Tabitha and Levi's shoulders. "I spent a good few years in a hive, reckon i can go crawling around under the truck if need be."

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Considering that he was almost sticking out the top of the trailer and that anyone close enough could clearly see his bulk taking up most of the bucket, Paxton was surprised to find that he wasn't immediately spotted. Although this obviously wouldn't last, it at least gave him a chance tho think up a plan. He had to draw as little attention as possible from Vicky, the only way he could think of was to blend in.

And so gently tipping the bucket in the opposite direction from his commanding officer, Paxton removed his coat from behind the trailer. Once he finished shedding, the corporal reversed the coat to reveal the snow and ash camo pattern of his old regiment which he had sown inside the blues coat of the 52nd. Thanking the Emperor for the sense to make this reversible coat, he put it back on and turned his attention to his beard. Splitting it roughly down the middle, he tide the two length in a loss knot behind his dreads so that they resembled more mutton chops than a beard. The final touch was to shove his uniform headwear in his coat pocket and grab a wielding mask off the nearby table.

Stepping out of cover in an attempt to act inconspicuous, Paxton made his way to the group around the wrecked truck. "Any way I might be of any help?" he asked in his best attempt to hide his thick accent, his voice further muffled by the welding mask over his face.
//

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:15 pm

Tabitha frowned as she looked down into the enginebed from the above. Last time she had looked down into it, she had just made a quick assesment to figure out what they needed to do to get the truck out of there. Now she had more time and more light she got a much better idea of the extent of the damage.

Now... she wasn't a tech priest. She couldn't possibly explain what all these components did or why they were neccessary, but she had enough experience with engines to know that they didn't work at all when they were broken. The engine itself, lying there on a table next to the truck, had suffered some dents and the priest would have to look at it to determine whether they needed replacing or not, she had no idea if that was the case or not. What she could tell already was that they'd have to do quite a bit of replacing of the connecting tubes and pipes. The transaxle seemed the most concerning however, as it was clearly all bent out of shape where it would have connected to the engine.

"Looks like we're going to need to replace some of the tubes and pipes and do some welding. I'm not liking the look of that axle though... probably need to carefully examine everything it connected to."

QuothTheRaven

Postby QuothTheRaven » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:11 pm

"Ooh, welding!" Cruz glances at the pile of tools she had been ordered to lug over. "Now that sounds fun."
She looks at the truck again. It just looks like a jumbled mess to her, with her scant knowledge of machinery.

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:43 pm

Ollie chuckled at the Lieutenant's concern, "This is more akin to stationary going missing around an office. The parts are not being stolen, just shuffled very... Inconveniently." he gave a complicated shrug.

Hearing discussion of the truck, the techpriest decided to kill two birds with one stone, and instead, sat Victoria down at a bench nearest to the vehicle, allowing her to face the group working on it, "Keep an eye on them for me. Direct them if need be." he explained.
Laying out his tools on the bench, Ollie set to work examining Neskovich's wrist. He carefully rolled her sleeve up past the augmetic, and then used a small cable to access one of the ports where the metal met her arm.
"I'm disabling your MIU, you won't feel the work I do, but you also won't have control over your hand, at least not in any great capacity. Try not to think about it, and try not to move, chances are you can still force some movement out of it, and I'd rather you didn't." Ollie waited before continuing, "And Miss Neskovich, being that I'm going to be reconnecting your MIU and testing reactions, please don't drink anything. Even if you are now babysitting this pit crew." it was part warning, part good-natured joke, but the tech priest was quite firm in his direction.

Mordian Characters:

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:07 am

Victoria nodded in understanding. Misplacing things was understandable, she ‘misplaced’ Second Sons request forms all the time. The Lieutenant moved where Ollie wanted her and nodded when he asked her to watch over the troops working on the truck as she worked. Victoria wasn’t necessarily trained to work with vehicles but ever since she was stationed here since the beginning of Valhallan involvement on Valmaria, the eradication of High Command, and taking up her current billet, she has learned a lot. Victoria didn’t like to stay in the office and she often goes out to inspect and talk to her troops. It was from these meetings that she learned, and while she didn’t know as much as a mechanic she probably knew a bit more than what seemed to be about everyone working on the truck.

Victoria listened as Ollie warned that he was going to turn off her MIU to operate on her hand as he worked. He also added that she shouldn’t think about moving it anyway at to not drink while he was working. The joke wasn’t lost on her and she nodded.

“Don’t worry Ollie. It’s not soldiers that make me drink. It’s the paperwork,” she said a bit lightheartedly, at least as light as one who was often cold can be. It certainly wasn’t wrong. Her icy blue eyes went from his work to the crew gathering around the truck. It didn’t seem they had much of an idea what to do with one piece of evidence being the inclusion of Levi who rode animals for a living. What was he of all people doing here? Didn’t he have to tend to Winston? Is that a guy with a welding mask? There was no way they would be welding or cutting at this stage. Then who was this woman with a saw? Was she really going to start hacking things off without checking anything? The only one that seemed to have any experience with mechanic work was Tabitha and she wasn’t sure how well Cadian drivers were trained to repair anything besides Chimeras. They clearly needed some sort of direction before they either break the truck more or hurt themselves.

“Hey! What’s going on over there?” the Lieutenant called over to them, “Has anyone checked for leaks yet? Or capped them off? How are the fuel lines?”

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:16 am

taking the light handed to him the corporal immediately ducked underneath the truck, disappearing from view for a few seconds before he came back up on the other side, from there he clambered over the melted cab and through to the flatbed, hunting at every dark spot with the stab light before going underneath again, only coming up when neskovich called over asking about the fuel lines.

"good news is no leaks" he called back "the hoses and fuel lines being flexible were able to absorb the worst of the shock without splitting open, also the suspension mounts are still in one piece. downside is the block was torn free of the engine mounts so new ones will have to be fabricated as they're completely mangled, heatsink has been folded in on itself, drive shaft has a kink in it plus one of the bolts for the uni-joint has sheared, ditto with where the final drive axle meets the transaxle, and the steering column and rack is completely boned....Lt...ma'am.." levi stood there for a moment before starting to feel like several pairs of eyes were on him

"....what? we got vehicles back home, don't always have the luxury of waiting for tech support to arrive in order to get em working again, especially when you're stuck outside the walls and your assigned cogpriest got eaten by the wildlife."

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Ollie raised his head from examining the fine cables inside the lieutenant's arm, to signal he was listening, "Materials and two MIG welders are at the back of the workshop. Please keep the main shutters open and weld in the open air, get one of the other adepts to correctly ground the equipment before you start." a single mechadendrite gestured towards the metal racking and equipment lockers against one wall of the building.

Mordian Characters:

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:16 am

If Levi was looking for any hint of surprise on the Valhallan Lieutenant’s face he would be very disappointed. Her marble bust remained as stony as usual. However, Victoria was glad that there was at least someone with mechanical experience in the group. Someone who could lead the crew and actually get the truck fixed. When he finished she gave him a simple nod of acknowledgment. After Ollie stated where tools and materials were Victoria added, “Lead them, Corporal, but be sure to cap the fuel and engine lines that sheared of the engine anyway, even if they aren’t leaking now. I doubt they were attached with breakaway valves so they could leak or drip later.”

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:26 am

Tabitha listened intently to Levi going over which components had taken damage from the beating the truck had recieved, nodding as he went over all the parts. Sounded like they had quite the busy few hours ahead, trying to get all that fixed. Following the lieutenant's orders, she headed over to the workbench to get what they needed to cap the fuel lines and then handed it to him to do so.

"Okay, Levi. Where do we start?"

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 am

"good question" levi muttered to himself, tapping an index finger against his nose as he tried to figure out the best place to start "once we've capped the fuel lines, lets focus on getting the trans axle, heatsink and drive assembly out after we've removed the fuel tank, then get it up on stands so we don't have to worry about it moving" taking the set of vice grips handed over to him the corporal also grabbed a ratchet and spanner. "fabricating new engine mounts will be easy, relatively speaking. the worst part is going to be straightening out the heatsink, i don't know where we're gonna find a new steering column, never mind chiseling out the melted remains of the one still in the truck"

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:13 am

Ollie didn't raise his head this time, still clearing away tiny damaged cables and scorched metal. The only sign he was even alive, the flickering of his optics reflected on the surfaces of Neskovich's wrist as his mechadendrites worked.
"We are in a bombed out capital city." he said patiently, "There are more abandoned vehicles lining the horizon than there are intact buildings... You just need to find one that doesn't have a civilian sleeping in it."

Mordian Characters:

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:50 pm

It seemed that the only person to register Paxton's presence was the one person he didn't want to notice him. But this could prove to his advantage. Since everyone around the truck were too busy working on the repairs to notice him, he had the widow he needed to make his escape.

Moving behind the truck and out of view of the lieutenant, one of the group mentioned the need of a new steering column. "I think I might have seen some parts of a steering column in the spare parts out back." Paxton piped up in his horribly fake accent, "I'll go have a look now.". He had actually seen something a few days ago that resembled the right shape, whether it was indeed they needed or if it would still be even their he couldn't say. If he found something he would bring it back, otherwise he would use this as his excuse to leave the workshop entirely.
//

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:58 pm

"That's great. Do you need any help looking for it?"

Tabitha looked at the man with the welder's mask pulled down over his face. Bit odd that he wouldn't at the very least lift it up, wearing the mask like that must be very hot and limit your vision quite a bit. Not to mention that it wasn't all that easy to make out what he was saying, especially with how half-garbled his words were. Maybe he had a speech impediment? Or maybe he was one of those hivers that couldn't speak proper low gothic?

While awaiting his reply, she knelt down next to the truck. Leaning down and peeking around, just trying to get a grasp of the size of the tasks ahead. Not that she had ever done it before, though she'd hardly call herself an expert: her experience mostly consisted of doing what the enginseer said after all, having Levi give them clear instructions was very comforting in that regard. This was more to get a grasp of how much more work that usual it'd be, given the damage Levi had told them about.