The Pavilion of Lord Knight Commander Tyr Urdnot

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 pm

The headquarters of the Katavarian Freeblades was a large red and black Pavilion made from the same leather as the rest of the company used. It took up the better portion of an old square not far from the Cathedral of Lord Pyre’s Everlasting Flame.

Outside the tent flap stands two Katavarians in full Warplate and wielding a halberd.

Apart from them there was only a flat area for assembly and an ominous wooden post with chains hanging from the top. But the man placed in such chains would be forced to keep his hands extended above his head.

Should one enter the Pavilion, they would see a simple desk that was confiscated from a clerical workhouse, an armor stand holding the finely crafted Warplate of Lord Commander Urdnot, with his sword of office hung nearby. There also stood a pair of shelves loaded down with books, parchments, scrolls, and folded maps. The desk also has a map of the surrounding base area opened and held open by nails at each corner. The map is covered in notes that seem nonsensical to most people. There is a smaller desk nearby behind which sits a young boy of about 12 years old. He will have his head down scribbling furiously whenever someone enters.

There was a partitioned off section in the back where presumably the Commander slept.

(Because i enjoyed creating Urdnot i decided to have a place where i can RP with him on occasion. Please let me know if you want to do something before posting, I’ll probably say yes, but just like to keep things nice and neat.)

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Fri May 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Makarov had waited until a reasonable time to go speak to the Lord Commander. Croakers prank had no malevolence to it, and so there was no great urgency. Given the general minor nature of it, and Croakers own good behavior, the prank itself was really bellow Commissariate notice. Even given that he had snuck into a Commissars office was mitigated by the fact that Makarov had, admittedly, left the door unlocked. As much as it galled her she couldn't, in good conscious, give someone a harsh punishment for just opening a door, even if it was a door they knew they shouldn't open. At least, in this circumstance.

So he had Commissar Bones' head as a battle buddy for the next few days, even as the rest of the thing made its way back to the medics. And she made her way to Urdnot, announcing her intent to talk to him and then waiting politely until all the proper protocol for his regiment had been followed.

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Sat May 19, 2018 1:22 am

The door guards stood aside to allow Makarov. Inside the tent, Urdnot was scribbling away on a map. Glancing up he recognized the young Commissar from the Wargames training.

“Good morning Milady. How may i help you?” He asked as he stood up and walked around to the front of the desk.

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Mon May 21, 2018 12:51 am

Makarov glanced at the young scribe that was in the tent as she entered. There wasn't a children's regiment attached to the Katavarian Freeblades as far as she knew, but she might have been wrong. Perhaps he was a local child, given some menial job from the regiment. Either way, it wasn't particularly important, just a question she didn't have an answer to at the moment.

She turned her attention to Urdnot, giving him a nod as he stood, and standing, hands behind her back like normal, in front of him. "Morning to you as well, Knight Commander. I hope you're well. Thankfully this is nothing too serious, so it shouldn't spoil your day. Sir Vervusius attempted to pull a prank and set up a... skeleton commissar," he had called it Commissar Bones, but she didn't think that it deserved the dignity of a name. "With the intent of scaring me or others entering my office. This is ...honestly not something that a Commissar need deal with, but I thought that I should at least let you know so that you could talk to him."

Currently playing:
The earnest-est little commissar// But what would a Commissar do? // There's a form for (or on) that!

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Mon May 21, 2018 4:01 am

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Mon May 21, 2018 2:26 pm

"Has Vervusius introduced this 'Commissar Bones', as he called it, to the regiment before?"

At the offer of recaff Makarov smiled. "That sounds like a pleasure. It would be nice to be able to speak some." She glanced around, looking for a chair, but was content to stand if need be. "You and your company seem well disposed, efficient and organized. It's good to see such quality standards and serious dedication to officership. Especially considering, as far as I've seen, you're lacking a Commissar and so all their duties must fall to you and yours."

Currently playing:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 am

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Fri May 25, 2018 12:21 am

"I've had people like that before." Makarov said with a commiseratiory smile.

"Those are the... lashers? I do remember Croaker mentioning them when he gave Yorke the whip, but I'm afraid that I might not have the name right. Actually, I don't know as much as I probably should about the Freeblades in general." She gestured to him. "For example Croakers speech is more, ah, antiquated than yours. I'm not sure what's standard. I know you use whips despite the heavy armor, so I'm left to wonder if it's purely symbolic or if armor is hard to come by on your world. I'm afraid I don't know much of anything about it." She paused as the boy returned with the cup and.... cookies. That was unexpected. She gave the child a thank you as he shuffled back out of the tent, then took her cookie and recaff. Urdnot dipped his in recaff, and she'd heard people talk about cookies and milk on her last deployment. For the moment though, she simply held hers, like some odd little statue.

"Thank you, that's very kind."

Currently playing:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Fri May 25, 2018 1:05 pm

"Yes, that's what they go by. I'm sure there's some secret name that they go by. But i don't know it." Urdnot gave a shrug. "I'm not too surprised that you don't. We aren't as large a force as the Kriegers, or the Cadians. but we do our duty all the same."

Taking another bite out of the cookie, he continued on. "Croaker's is what we call a 'Voice'. It's how we remember home, while staying capable of communicating effectively. It's close to how our own language sounds. As for the whips....well it is a bit of tradition. But whips are an effective way to discipline troops without doing anything.....ahem....permanent." He seemed to be slightly embarressed. It didn't seem politic to talk about the darker side of what a commissar had to do. "Armor isn't uncommon on Katavar. But we all, as warrior representives of our world, have a blacksmith who does nothing but forge our armor."

Urdnot stopped, looking at his recaff, lost in his thoughts. After a moment, he looked up at Makarov. "I'm sorry, sometimes I get homesick. Katavar is a beautiful world and only occasional wars and skirmishes to liven it up. But what about you? From whence do you come from?"

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Fri May 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Makarovs smile turned more melancholic, as Urdnot spoke. She listened though, taking in everything he said attentively and with great gravity. Learning about others homeworlds was important and, at least in her opinion, interesting. She nodded, sipping on her recaff and doing her best to not make a face at how bitter it was. "I see. That way they can have whips and something that they could use in combat, but the armor makes them able to be used on troops without needing to switch to a cat of nine tails or something else more disciplinary. That's.... very smart actually. I wouldn't have thought of that." She had never considered something like that. Normally the amount of clothing left on for a flogging was directly linked to how painful the flogging was to be. Fibrous materials getting into the otherwise shallow wounds left by lashing made for painful, if quick healing, injuries. "And you have a whole forge set up here?"

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Commander." She said. "I find, as I grow older I miss my homeworld more and more, and think of it ever more fondly. All this even if, in the impetuousness of my youth, I could think of nothing better than being away from it. I'm from Lilium IV. It's a paradise world. Warm and mild weathered, with two moons and beautiful flora throughout the planet, many flowers, some bio-luminescent. It's an absolutely beautiful planet..." She meandered off for a moment, caught up in her own memories, before focusing back on him. "But I think that many like their homeworlds more than most."

Currently playing:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Mon May 28, 2018 2:51 am

“Yes, our forge is set up near one of the gates, can’t remember which one at the moment. I don’t have a lot of time to walk around the base as I’d like to.” Urdnot said ruefully looking at the paperwork surrounding him.

“And i agree, most people do prefer their homeworld, except maybe the Kriegers or the Salvarians. I haven’t heard many pleasant things about their homeworlds. But who knows, maybe even they do. All i know is I’ve spent more time away from it than I did living on Katavar. I left when i was 17 years old. Throne above where did the time go?”

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Tue May 29, 2018 1:04 am

Seventeen? Makarov had looked at Urdnots file, even if only briefly, so that she could have a general knowledge of the man had she the need to work with him. The math was easy, it was just the ramifications that were more impressive, and... honestly inspiring, if true.

"That means it's been over twenty years, doesn't it, commander?" She realized that what she said might be rude after it was already out and quickly took a bite of her cookie and a drink of her recaff to buy herself time. Finally, after she'd swallowed she said "I mean, if I had to guess. Does that mean that you reenlisted when you were done? I... there's a medal for that, I think. I just... never really believed that it would get handed out. Never thought anyone would do it."

Currently playing:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Tue May 29, 2018 1:50 am

Urdnot blinked a bit. He hadn’t realized she knew how old he was.

“Ah, yes. Something around that long. But no i didn’t re enlist. We Freeblades serve till we are too old or injured to serve. Then those that ‘retire’ go home to train the next generation. War is our life forever, in one form or another.”

Urdnot smiled a bit sadly. “That’s partly why we have ‘Voices’ like Croaker, and why we tolerate a bit more from them. It’s what most of us will ever see or hear of home. We have no family, having been taken as babes, No lovers beyond what we find during our campaigns. A few of us have small charms and tokens made from our homeworld. But that’s about it.”

Urdnot glanced at Makarov as she took a bite out of her cookie. “Would you mind telling me about your homeworld? It sounds very lovely.”

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Tue May 29, 2018 2:47 am

Serve until death, injury or age take them? Taken as children and trained? Return home to train the next generation when they retire? All of this was very different from the normal 20 year increments that many regiments put in place as a goal post. And from the lottery or recruitment of adults that most worlds used in the formation of regiments. All that said it sounded remarkably reasonable and familiar to Makarov. After all, schola took children, trained them, only allowed them to 'retire' to train the next generation- or something similar- when they were too old or too injured to be of use in the field, or they simply died. Yes there were more differences but it was, honestly, similar enough that she could grasp at it.

"Our lives and more. That's a harsh thing. Many would balk at such a recruitment practice. The character of the Katavarins is quite impressive." She remarked, "Though you're extremely well socialized for being trained for combat since childhood." Defiantly better than she was. Maybe he'd grown into it.

The mention of Croaker did make her tense again. She hoped that he was just speaking idily of his regiment and their traditions, but her training wouldn't let it slip past. "Of course, and I can understand wishing to go easy on something that reminds you of home, especially a home that you've spent so much time away from. However discipline still has to be maintained. Especially when there's a chance to do so in house, and not need others to come down harder."

"Oh, it is." She nodded. "I'm originally from the province of Arkan. It's one of the most northern provinces but... I don't remember it much. My brothers and I were taken south when we were young, to the schola in Providence. It's beautiful there. During the day the canopy is full of flowers and shades the streets and during the night it lights up, bright enough to see by. The moons are reflective and there's rarely a night where there's not at least one in the sky. The schola was outside the city, in the mountains, where we could see the ocean on one side, and it was only a short hike to see the grassland on the other. It was never cold enough to snow, but we would pretend it would, say some of the white flowers were snow and throw them at each other."

Currently playing:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Thu May 31, 2018 11:35 am

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:43 am

That brought up an interesting point. She'd assumed, simply because of her own association with the practice, that the babes selected had to be orphans. But perhaps they weren't. "No need to be embarrassed. Your'e just carrying on the, ah, family tradition then, hm?" She said, smiling and trying her hardest to be personable and perhaps even a little less formal. Conversational, even. "Can I ask how you're selected? Is it through chance, or by offering, or lineage?"

At his comment of dealing with troublemakers she simply nodded. There was really nothing else to say. It was her job, and simply letting the situation pass was probably the most gracious thing to do. Smoothed over and forgotten. The remark about retirement made her chuckle though.

"If you do, just be sure to find a quality gardener. The flora can be deadly, and grows quickly.... Though you're right about the ocean. It can be very serene and beautiful, or powerful and destructive. Thankfully, on Lilium it tends to the first."

Currently playing:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:18 am

“Ah, I suppose you could say that I am. But according to our customs, my biological father isn’t related to me at all. Once you are a Freeblade, all ties are cut. Permanently.” Urdnot smiled along with Makarov. They seemed to be getting along nicely. This was good.

“ As for how we are selected, it is a combination of a lottery and offerings. One thousand babes are selected by lottery every year. Even, perhaps especially, Noble born children are not exempt from this. It is viewed as a great honor to be selected. Once the Thousand are selected, The Freeblades will accept any child under the age of five. There’s rarely as many as you’d think though. Mothers are notoriously reluctant to give up their children. Besides, large families make it easier to work the farms. But it still happens.” He shrugged. “It’s not a perfect system of course. I’m sure plenty of petty barons and lower nobles use it against the peasantry, but it is the best one we can use, considering the technology available to them.”

Urdnot smiled a bit more. “Well, it does sound like how a well ordered army should be. Serene and beautiful during peace, but devastating during conflict. I’m sure you can agree with that?”

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:04 pm

"So, father in the sense of the last leader of the Freeblades, or another sort of mentor?" Makarov enjoyed learning about people normally, and now was no exception. Now was just unusual in the fact that it was going well. She hadn't done anything to make Urdnot uneasy or to embarrass herself, though part of that was on the ease with which the Lord Commander comported himself as well. ...The similarities she could draw between schola and the Freeblades situation probably help too. "It's a very stark divide. I mean, if it's from all family. My brothers were in schola with me and it finding out or discussing we were biological family was far from verboten."

She nodded in agreement with the system for finding children to take into the unit. "Impartiality is important. I imagine that a blind process like that gives.... Well it must be comforting to know that anyone and everyone is equal before the needs of the Imperium, no matter how grand or important they are in a more secular life. That we're all..." She struggled for what she wanted to say, not wanting to delve into her more normal theological ramblings. "Subject to His Will, even if it's more apparent for some." Well that was a failure. But there was an out! The ocean! They were talking about that and the metaphor it was for combat and armies.

"Very much so, as long as they're well disciplined and ordered. So, definitely not a penal legion." Good joke. Her humor was amazing, and she even refrained from making that stupid face she made sometimes when she told jokes.

Currently playing:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:58 am

Urdnot smiled at her joke. “Well, if penal legions were as disciplined as Mordians, then you would find yourself out of a job, wouldn’t you?” He said banteringly.

“So may i ask which regiment you are assigned to? I don’t recall that you had one during the Wargames.” He asked conversationally.

Aishachan

Postby Aishachan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:27 am

"I'm sure that they'd still find something for all of us to do. The Administratum could make work from nothing, if the need arose." Makarov said with a laugh.

"It would be inappropriate to assign me to be friend and foe in the Wargames." She added, tone conversational like his. "Officially I'm with the 323rd Korvazen Armored Division, though the 772nd Korvazen Tiger Rifles have suffered a number of casualties and I try to look after them too, since they're from Korvazen as well. Though as any Commissar will tell you given the... current situation, we all have to be willing to do more. I mean, I try to assist whatever regiment I think might be best helped, and I have a rotation for other things like inspection and drills and, well, you know." She realized that she was nervously rambling and stopped, once more taking a bite of her cookie and a sip of the recaff.

"But you have an understanding how it is, having to handle the whole Company."

Currently playing: