[Closed] Stumble Beginnings

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:04 pm

"Oh, it's a local sport... Rumour has it that it was an old sport brought all the way from Terra, but the rules have changed a lot since then, I'm sure," Vayne explained, using some hand gestures.

"You get four Arkos riders per team, and there are a bunch of... coloured rings set in the grass. There are seven balls, each a different colour, but each one matches a corresponding ring. Then you get this long mallet and use those to hit the balls through the rings- Match the colour, gain a point, get the wrong colour, lose a point for your team.

"But here's where it gets complicated... You can only knock it forward. You can pass to another player. You are allowed to intercept a shot and try to deflect it into a mismatched ring to force an opponent to lose points...

Cassius continued for a short while, explaining the intricacies of the many rules, and at one point stood up to demonstrate the swinging motion of hitting a Tzykalo ball with one foot up on the bunk, as though he was in a saddle.

"Usually an extra rider volunteers as a referee, so you end up with seven folks galloping around a field... Throw in some wine and betting and it's a pretty good time," He grinned, somewhat satisfied with his explanation, even if it was far too much to remember in one go.

"I tried to cut it down into as short an explanation as possible, I hope that didn't bore you to tears- It all makes more sense once you play..." Cassius laughed a little, brushing his hair back onto his head as he plopped back down to sit on the bunk.
Main:

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:17 pm

As Cassius explained she sat there trying to conjure up an image of what a game of Tzykalos would look like. The basic gist of it seemed to be to try to hit the balls into the ring of corresponding colours, and the two teams trying to compete to do so first and/or try to sabotage for the other team. She had only seen some arkos at a distance, but she had an idea of what they looked like. Kind of like Winston but less intimidating. Like a big, soft and round winston she supposed.

Picturing these nobles riding on their mounts, trying to circle one another to get good angled she imagined them with really outrageous outfits. Bright colours, checkered for one team and striped for the other. She didn't really think that's what they wore (allthough with what she had heard of nobles, she wouldn't be very surprised) but the thought amused her.

Cassius seemed to really be passionate about it though, with him demonstrating how a swing looked like and everything. She smiled as he did so, partly because she couldn't help to be swept along with his enthusiasm (and partly because she imagined him in a pink and white checkered outfit, not that she'd ever admit that bit). He must've done this quite a bit.

"Sounds you really love this game. Did you play it a lot? Were you good at it?"
Private Tabitha Maru - Lieutenant Yudel Eckhardt

Thanks to blinddeadmcjones for the avatar

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Vayne grinned at her, pleased as she seemed to be interested in learning, and not just politely nodding along. Her mental assumptions on brightly coloured, checkered team jerseys wasn't too far off from the truth, including short-billed riding helmets, leather gloves, and leggings.

"I used to, yeah, since I was... Fifteen? Sixteen? I'd like to think I was good at it, I usually played interceptor over striking or defense," He explained briefly that the different riders had different playstyles, both in offensive and defensive roles. The interceptor was the main source of interference and deflection of an opponent's shots.

The sound of chatter and heavy bootsteps from the hall interrupted their quiet moment together as other troopers returned to the Southern Barracks, and Vayne glanced at the door.

"Hmm... Maybe we could go riding some time..." Cassius mused, before he got up and smoothed his uniform, checking his wrist-chrono for the time, "Well, Miss Maru, before I overstay my welcome, I really enjoyed chatting with you. Regrettably, I ought to run, I need to get back to the office soon..."
Main:

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:15 pm

"Yeah, last thing either of us wants is a sargeant to see us and decide us sitting here means we have too much free time. That would definately make that trip to the market, or going riding, quite unlikely to happen. "

It had been nice talking to Cassius, and him telling her about life on Naris had been quite enlightening. She wondered what the city had looked like, before it was shot to rubble by both sides. The cathedral, the statues, the people. His story was a little snapshot of that, if only of that of a small clique of noble youth. And that made her very grateful to him.

"Thank you. For telling me."

She looked up at him as he was preparing to leave, smiling but with a slightly sad note.

"Being a soldier is all I've ever known. Hearing about what life was for someone else outside of it... I enjoyed it. I hope we can get that life back to you, your family and your people."
Private Tabitha Maru - Lieutenant Yudel Eckhardt

Thanks to blinddeadmcjones for the avatar

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:33 pm

The earnest reply caught Vayne off guard; of course everyone on base wanted the same goal- to finish the war and to restore Naris into Imperial balance. But to hear it from her, was at the same time a slight balm to his recent fury, and a slight melancholy note to his mood.

Reaching for her hand, the Corporal lifted Tabitha's fingers up to his lips to press her knuckles gently against his lips, and he smiled slightly.

"I appreciate that, Miss Maru... I know it will happen someday. And perhaps I could show you what it was like... Someday," He mused, before releasing her hand and bowing slightly, "Have a good day, I'll be in contact when I'm able to get those slips signed."

With a slight grin, Cassius gave the girl a casual wave, before slipping out of her quarters to exit back out of the Barracks, striding with purpose as not to be deterred from leaving.
Main: