Postby SilverRuby » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Main:

Archer

Postby Archer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 am

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 am

With the Commander's approval of his answer, Vayne felt minor relief. He trembled a little where he sat, the acute anxiety of looking weak or vulnerable in front of the others still culling his appetite. He was thankful that Urdnot had turned his scrutiny upon Luca, given a momentary reprieve from the questioning.

But as such, it wouldn't do not to go through the motions of eating and replenish lost energy, the day had barely begun. Cassius broke off a piece of his ration bar and chewed on it, following that with water to wash it down. Normally, the noble couldn't appreciate the Brown flavour, but in the moment its lack of sophistication and depth served as a good distraction from thinking.

Vayne glanced aside at the Lucifer Black, curious at how the other was going to answer such pointed questions. He'd remembered what the other had said about the tardy officer who had basically been shot by one of his own. For once, it would be nice to know more about the man bearing the patch's personal code, not just the pompous history of the uniform, or about the obviously prestigious rank he gloated about so unsubtly. It was all very shallow with little substance... Even Cassius was a bit curious about Luca's character beneath it all.
Main:

Archer

Postby Archer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 am

"...I was never treated as a brother to them." He added looking down at the ground, his voice tired but clear he wanted everyone to hear this. "Terran's who volunteer to join the guard aren't randomly assigned to units. About sixteen you can volunteer but some are younger, b you are tested. Commissars, instructors, and officers tested your skill, your spirit, your loyalty, and mind."

He explained, making light of how rough it could be. "The scariest part is when they test your blood purity... Men and women who looked perfectly normal went in, then we'd hear the sound of a bolt pistol and smell blood." He shifted slightly, it still unnerved him to think of that scene.

"Those who don't make the cut are assigned to Terran units that are active, deployed throughout the galaxy. The best get into the regiments that serve the Imperial Palace." He added. "Where they are fed, clothed, armored, and well treated. Most of those regiments are part of the Old Hundred."

"I pushed that, from the start, I wanted to be great. The instructor's thought I was a gift, I worked long hours and practiced even harder in my free time. My abilities became greater and my unit hated me for it, they wanted to do enough to get by so we could be placed on the wall to enjoy our lives. I wanted to serve and be like the Terran's of old a crusader, a warrior."

He frowned turning his eyes up to the others. "And when I made them look bad they would beat me away from the instructors, I never stopped and neither did they. Even after my promotion to corporal, after nine years of service, I was noticed. I was offered the chance to become one of the famed bodyguards, I accepted without hesitation."

"I vowed to myself I wouldn't ever let someone step on me again. I'd die for my brothers in arms and I'd do anything for those who would be my friends. But should another person raise their fist at me again, demean me, purposefully attack me." He almost spat angrily. "I'd happily show them what earned me beatings from my fellow Terrans."

"I follow orders, I do my job but if I have a choice? Civilians are the first I'd protect... After that Guardsman. I would do anything can I to help people... We fight for those who can't and we can't toss away civilian lives no point in victory here if the planet has no people left." He added.

"I'll happily work with any who will respect and work with me in turn, but if you can't show me even decency I won't hesitate to let you know why that's a bad idea." He looked at Urdnot taking a deep breath to calm himself.

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:45 am

“You lived a rough life, but you found your own code of honor and became better despite it all. This is an act truely worthy of admiration.” Urdnot said with both sympathy and respect tinging his voice.

“Allow me to tell you, how we Freeblades are trained. Our history may serve to help both of you understand where we come from and why we are the way we are.” Urdnot announced to the crowd, though it was really just intended for the three non Katavarians.

“Once a year, upon our homeworld of Katavar. There is a lottery that is held for all the newborn children. And every year, this lottery selects about One thousand new born babes. These children are taken away immediately to our training fortress in a small valley at the center of the main continent. The mothers and fathers are told to forget their children as if they died or were never born, for we will never again meet with them. We are then raised from birth into a culture of war. We are given to hard training from day up till sun down. Our apptitudes are tested out and we are placed in specialized classes accordingly. However, each age group always begins the day as we did. Drills, to keep our brotherhood first and foremost in our minds because our brothers and sisters are all the family we’ll ever have.”

Urdnot looked around at his audience, the many Katavarians were nodding their heads in agreement and rememberance.

“Once an age group marks their fifteenth year, they are taken on patrol of the lands. For our homeworld is rife with banditry and lawlessness. For two years, they will act as a peacekeeping force, meeting out justice as their instructors will lead them. Once their tour of duty is complete, they return to the fortress valley and for their final year of instruction, they are given to train with the many holy weapons used by the Astra Militarum. The Lasgun, the auto Cannon, the Basilisk. As well as the many other weapons that go along with. Once their final year is done, the class is sent to join us, wherever the Freeblades have been sent to fight. And this is the only life we shall know until we die or are so injured that we must be sent home to instruct the next generation.”

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Vayne watched Luca as the other spoke, taking in the other's body language. Did he feel pity for the Lucifer Black? He wasn't sure, it was hard to pity someone so driven to perfection, that watching him stumble socially was a bit of a vindictive pleasure; everyone had a weakness. Could use a dose of humility... The noble kept his mouth shut, his thoughts given form had gotten him in trouble in the first place.

Did he like the Terran? He wasn't inclined to, something about Luca was too nice, or too pure. It was almost disgusting. No one from the throneworld with the way Astora had spoken of it, could be that good. Cassius held his suspicions to himself, why on Terra the other had wanted to help him learn to fight so badly, he couldn't fathom. In a sense, he also didn't care; the Valmarian would take any advantage he'd be offered in his bid to move up in the world. But hearing the bitterness gave the Corporal pause... He'd have to be more careful with Luca in the future.

The Katavarian history was just as tragic, and Vayne looked up at Urdnot, listening raptly to soak in all the information he could of the feudal regiment. He held up a hand to the Commander before setting it back down in his lap.

"Do you have any regrets, sir? After all these years serving, and receiving young Katavarians taken from their families? You were all given away before you could make a choice," Cassius asked, and it was obvious that he had grown up with far more freedom than any of the young men and women sitting around him.
Main:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:25 am

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Cat had listened to Vayne and Luca speak, his expression unreadable. It was impossible to tell from observing him, whether Cat was sympathetic to the others or assessing for something else while they spoke.
A small trace of a smile crept across Yorke's expression briefly, when Cassius spoke more earnestly a trace of how proud he was to see things change. Self-realisation was a huge step that the commissar had watched his friend come to, and begin to conquer. While this circle was a place safeguarded by honour, it was still another huge step for Cassius to speak freely outside of a personal space.
In comparison, Yorke fought and succeeded in not rolling his eyes at hearing how Luca had been frequently bullied for being too perfect of a soldier. Cat began to understand some of the Terran's immodest mannerisms and techniques, if he had come from that environment.

The Katavarian history and mention of their traditions caused the commissar to perk up and pay attention. They sounded almost mythical in their selection process, like something from ancient Terra, long before technology and the great crusades. History had only ever been taught in snatches and bursts, and any extra time Cat could steal in the schola's libraries, but tales of ancient settlements and colonies had always been something he was keenly interested in.

When Urdnot asked if there were further questions, Cat nodded and raised a palm level to his shoulder, to say that he did.
"Croaker, in the past, he gave me a whip, and spoke of... Lashers? Are those the equivalent of commissars for you? Does the Commissariat work in effect with Katavarian regiments?" Cat couldn't imagine that they were needed in a disciplinary basis, but perhaps offered some tactical advice, "I never carried what he gave me because I don't understand what it represents."

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

Archer

Postby Archer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Luca paused and then asked a question himself. "Croaker... I know of Imperial Knights, I've never seen one but I've seen the pilots occasionally come up to see our officers. They spoke much like you do, is your world related to a knight a world by chance?"

He asked out of curiosity and the Lucifer had only ever seen Titan's in operation rarely Imperial Knights rumors stirred up often about them and the pilots of them. He knew enough to treat them with honor and respect you would an officer or any other highly skilled warrior. "I ask because your traditions remind of... Chivalry? Is that the right word?" He asked humming to himself a moment unsure.

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:50 am

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:05 am

"None taken." Yorke looked down at his lap and sighed, "I would very much like to see the day commissars are redundant, and I'm glad there's some facet of the Imperial Guard that isn't tarnished by association with us." he blinked for a moment, realising what he'd just said aloud, but praying that Urdnot's declarations about the amnesty of this circle had been truthful.
Looking back up, slightly hesitant after besmirching his own people, Cat looked a little lost, "I feel then, that what anyone saw in me is mistaken. I don't know how anything I do in this role could be considered honourable; if I acted like I were supposed to, I would bully men to their deaths; often terrified, pointless, ignoble deaths." he sighed, "On the other hand, when I act in the way that's fair and sane, or I grow fond of others, I'm acting against the directives of the very people who raised and formed me. Even honesty is seen as dissent."

Yorke understood that he held a rather bleak view, and attempted to halt at the edge of a depressing matter, "What are Lashers, then? In comparison?"

Mordian Characters:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:11 am

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Mordian Characters:

Archer

Postby Archer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:12 am

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Mordian Characters:

Archer

Postby Archer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:16 am

"That's..." Luca started he wanted to say abhorrent and intolerable but he wasn't sure if it was right to say, he just looked down. "I... I never saw it like that... I suppose that's how it is." He added wishing he had his normal helmet to let the carapace armour had his face as he stared at the ground wishing could understand why it had to be this way. "I guess serving on Terra really was one of the greatest luxuries." He turned to look at Cat.

"I'd still rather be here though fighting for people who need me. Then standing on a wall waiting to die or retire." He added perking up a little as he reminded himself he was doing the right thing.

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:49 am

Urdnot held his peace while Cat and Luca had their back and forth. These are fairly normal during circles. And he knew when to step back or step in as needed. Sensing that the dismissal of Holy Terra might anger and divide the Lucifer from the Commissar, Urdnot decided to cut in.

“I’m sure that Yorke had no intention of implying your service was lesser for not being on the frontlines. All duties are important in the Astra Militarum, almost especially the ones less obvious to the casual eye. And all organizations have some good in them, such as raising Commissars who in turn recognize talent and raise them to positions where it is most beneficial to us all.” Urdnot spared a small glance at Vayne.

“I think that despite any atrocities that be laid at the feet of any organization, it is part of our duties to make the best and most correct choice possible for those who surround us.”

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Vayne was quiet as he listened to both Cat and Luca explain their differences, soaking in their admissions. He didn't have much of a reaction outside of wide-eyed staring at the sheer history possessed by both men, who had so much blood on their hands, yet could differ so much in attitude towards the atrocity of war and murder. To him it was all the same, just efficient brutality that he wished wasn't necessary in order to function as a society- as an Imperium.

At Urdnot's pointed glance, the Corporal found himself staring up at the older Katavarian with naked confusion and wonder, before looking down at his lap with furrowed brow.

Is it really talent, or am I just a convenient pawn? He wondered to himself, and more disappointment weighed heavy in his belly. 'Beneficial' like something to be used... Such was life, he shrugged to himself, finishing off the last portion of his meal and chewed silently, wondering when they were going to move on to something more mindless. Thinking drudged up unwanted doubts, and he hoped his silence was indicative that he had nothing further to add to the conversation.
Main:

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:55 am

The conversation continued as some of the younger Katavarians spoke up. The three outsiders would be surprised to discover that only a few of the men surrounding them were survivors from their last campaign on Gladius Secundus. Most of the men had recently arrived from the home world of Katavar. Which Urdnot explained that the Freeblades had suffered serious losses against the greenskin hordes. And were waiting for a few classes of recruits before being put into heavier action again. Though the campaign on Naris was tougher than expected.

As the sun passed its zenith. Urdnot clapped his hands once to signify the end of the circle. The recruits began to rise.

“Now let us begin to the second portion of training. Also one of the main reasons, some of us are here.” Some snickering could be heard among the Katavarians.

Urdnot paired everyone off, if Cat wished to join, he would be paired off against a young Katavarian recruit. Luca and Vayne were paired off against eachother, with Croaker standing to watch and instruct in the Katavarian style which emphasized swords and shields.

“Ah no cousin, Thou should’st hold thine shield higher up thy body. Like so.” Croaker pushed up Vayne’s Shield so that Vayne was peering over the edge of the shield.

“Like so, for thou art able to drop thine shield far quicker than thou mayest raise it. Gravity doth work with thee in such endeavors.”

Croaker walked around the pair, showing them how to stand. (Shield side foot towards the opponent, sword side foot at almost a 90 degree angle. Knees bent almost uncomfortablely. Allowing them to side step with greater balance)

The formal stance of holding the blade. (Resting on the sword shoulder when positioning at the beginning of a duel. Raised slightly above shoulder height, sword tip hovering over the shield.)

How to execute a block with a shield. (Thrusting forward into the blow to dissipate the force behind it). And how to take advantage of the opening. (Thrusts being faster, overhead chops being stronger but slower.)

He also explained where the best places to strike would be in real combat. But warned that even though the blades were dulled, they could still cause serious harm and thus during practice, they should focus on hitting the armor while they learned the footwork and swordplay.

“Thou hath the basics my cousins. Thou shalt go a bout or two. First to land a solid blow wins.” Croaker declared. “Thou mayest begin when both art ready.”