[Open] Community Garden

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
Quads

Postby Quads » Thu May 31, 2018 8:02 pm

At least, it was meant to be a community garden.

Right now it was nothing more than a few squares of land behind the chapel that one Isaiah Konmae had marked with the heel of his boot. The sun had lowered itself in the atmosphere above Naris and the long shadow of the conscript was cast over his project. He had left his helmet back in the barracks and instead opted to don his basic uniform with his boots and knife in-tact. The usual beanie-knit balaclava covered his face and a set of heavy-tinted red goggles covered his eyes, and he had kneeled carefully in the center of the four squares he decided were to be his first works of nature.

That fireball in the sky beat down on the thick cloth covering his body and he blissfully ignored the cold sweat running down his sloped shoulders as he gripped the knife on his ankle. Pulling it free with a grunt of exertion, Konmae brought it low to the ground. Using the blunted tip to scrape into the dirt to try and loosen it more than he already had with his entrenching tool. Doing his best to form a set of roles to where he might do something with the dehydrated topsoil. The packets of seed in his pockets grew heavier in each passing moment and he felt an increasing desire to just toss the paltry thing he used for a spade onto the ground. He tried to remain focused, tried to keep frustration down like a case of indigestion, and it only made things worse.

Finally he stopped, feeling the leather tighten around his knuckles before bending his head towards the ground and letting out a tired heave. For another moment Konmae felt like praying, but that too passed with a breeze finally dancing along his aching back. It had taken him all morning just to properly break the soil, much less get it in any workable shape. He figured that he was going to use the recycled water no-one would drink to try and add moisture to the plants. Or.. just use his own water rations. Or wait for the rain. Konmae had set up an equally dingy tarp with a metallic drum nearby, though it seemed more of an insult to himself now more than ever.

With another defeated sigh he returned to scraping away the roots and rocks with his knife. What a life.

[[This here is the Community Garden I decided to set up! It's located scenically behind the Chapel on only a 100-200 square feet of land, not a whole lot at the moment. At best it has some old wood or metal dragged around as barriers, very little moisture in the ground, and nothing planted yet. Feel free to chip in, or not at all! I'll probably be making periodic posts about Konmae working in here to scratch my passive RP itch anyways. Enjoy!]]

Quads

Postby Quads » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:52 pm

A day into the project and Konmae knew the meaning of the word 'self abhorrence' more closely then he ever had before. He had sliced his palms on the old sheet metal he was using more than a few times, and had resorted to wrapping his hands in thick strips of tarp he cut off. Having noted the desire to keep snow off of his crops and perhaps insulate them to some degree, Konmae had erected wobbling poles of said metal in the ground and leveraged enough of the draping fabric to form a makeshift shelter over them. This has satisfied him for long enough for him to sit down on the edge of his work and idly stab the ground with his knife. Sometimes he wished he could actually give this damned planet a hit or two, but that was never to happen.

Instead he just stared at the dirt and found a sudden urge to scream. He wasn't sure what at, but again he covered it with his thoughts and looked onto the four uneven-ish squares he had created. Stupid. This was stupid. But what else was he going to do? He had to find a way to keep his crops decently healthy, and hopefully make sure the frost didn't overtake them. There were at least.. two plants out of his five that he knew could survive it; but they were as hard to properly seed as ever. He didn't have much of a choice did he? Not particularly. Any kind of small gesture of happiness from him would be more than enough to sustain his silent frustration just a few more weeks.

In the spirit of keeping himself sane, Konmae knelt once more. His hands were shaking as he crawled beneath the tarp and fished around in his pocket for the right seed. It was always something, wasn't it? And again the urge to do something foolish returned, and again he discarded it. Fishing out a bulbous looking seed that appeared bleached from the inside-out, with a few hairs sprouting from the top. A fruit his family disliked because of its growing period (winter), but he had no choice. Called Wintermoons for a reason, the plants preferred the shine of a celestial body at night and with cold temperatures.

This meant he would have to slice out squares in his oh-so-precious tarp just to give them what they needed..- ontop of cold water. Great. Whatever. He was fine. No he wasn't. But was that wasn't an issue as he felt a small twinge of nostalgia when his knife twisted into the mound of dirt he had made and he carefully positioned the seed so the hairs were sprouting from the dirt just enough to not be smothered by the wind. Then he turned the blade upwards and after pinching the tarp like skin before a needle, he see-sawed out a small hole. Only using one seed to see if it would grow at all, and then if it worked he would continue.

He really hoped it would work.

Peridot Onyx

Postby Peridot Onyx » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Attracted by the sound of scratching, a four legged investigator pattered its way across to where Konmae had made some of the more ineffective scrapes into the ground, and sat, watching the man's efforts.

Hondjie could see the human was trying to dig, but humans don't know how to dig properly. Hondjie felt sympathetic, if a little impatient. Clearly help was needed.

The dog stepped over to one of the sad holes, and demonstrated the undeniable destructive capacity of a dog left unattended, and within minutes, had dug down to stomach level. Hopping out and shaking debris from its fur, it then looked around expectantly. When no admonishment occured, the dog a new hole nearby, delighted, and spraying dry earth into the air.
&

Quads

Postby Quads » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:41 pm

For a moment, when the dog meandered its way into his peripheral view, Konmae was one-hundred-and-ten-percent convinced that the frost had finally reached his brain and this canine was a hallucination moments before brain death.

And then he was showered with dirt.

Ah, yes, good. Good! The ruffian before him was not, as he had just surmised, the last vestiges of his mind giving him comfort in metaphorical form. Instead it was.. well.. a dog. Funny. He had not seen a dog in a long time; mostly it was the baying maws of a cyber-mastiff. This one was very real and had just covered him in- yes- right- that. Come now Konmae—overcome your stupefaction and react—you haven't all day.

With such thoughts in his mind he suddenly bolted to his feet, slamming his helmet against part of his tarp and causing it to jerk to the side. Toppling one of the sheet metal pillars he had worked so hard to get upright and causing half of the overhanging cloth to fall down on the mischievous Hondjie. Konmae had just fallen over out of surprise, nearly crushing the Wintermoon he had planted as he stared at the outline of a dog in the ripped tarp he slaved to put up.

"Ow.." He hissed under his breath, feeling too defeated all of a sudden to move his body. It was like all of his will to do anything was gone with the destruction of his progress so far. Just laying there, staring at the dog, and resisting that ever-present urge in the back of his mind to scream.

Peridot Onyx

Postby Peridot Onyx » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:13 pm

The dog skittered out from under the falling tarp, and then for lack of direction, wandered back to the first hole it had dug, and sat in it, tucking its legs up neatly and resting its pointed head on the ground, watching Konmae with a good-natured curiosity.

Hondjie didn't understand the purpose of the loud noise, but the human was laying down. This was something Hondjie did understand, when humans lie down, it's time to be Still and Quiet. Tail beating softly on the scattered earth, Hondjie watched, wondering what the next game would be.

"Are you farming?" a quiet voice matched a quiet person, as Perron cautiously leaned over the collapsed sheeting and blinked at Konmae, checking to see whether he appeared injured. Thankfully not.
"Naris is an agri world... I bet we could find you some compost and fertiliser." the suggestion was as quiet and inoffensive as the speaker, and Perron had decided to study the empty hole, rather than give Konmae a dedicated audience to his defeat, "I know Tick uses fertilizer for some of his bombs, I imagine he'd have some spare."
&

Quads

Postby Quads » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:03 pm

Konmae barely had the strength to turn his red-tinted goggles up to the voice that wafted over his ears like a surgeon's scalpel. It was not meant to be painful, but it was anyways. "Where.. did you come from?" He grunted out of exasperation; never being a man of many words. Being humiliated made him less talkative. There followed a few seconds of silence as the half-supine noble stared down the dog. Damn that thing. It looked very comfortable. He wished he could be comfortable.

Oh- oh right. Yes. There was someone here. Fertilizer? Ah, yes, that would be excellent. If heated just a little one could get a good warmer for the ground. Hopefully a warmer that would mesh well with the dry dirt he was trying to nurse back to health. But of course it was not like he would just.. tell the stranger that. The other male couldn't even see his face, much less understand his thoughts. So instead Konmae rolled onto his back and pushed off the ground to a sitting position. Lacking the willpower to do more than that. "I always wanted my garden to explode." Came his sardonic mutter before sighing and dropping his head so his helmet rested ontop of his armored knees.

"Sure, yes. Spare compost and fertilizer would be very much appreciated.."

Riveris

Postby Riveris » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:21 am

Wilfred was just walking a lap as he passed by the barren fenced in land of open faced dirt. seeing the dog dig into the ground. As well as the man dig into the ground with his knife. Taking his entrenching tool He walked to the fence. And gazed for a moment at the dirt. He was not quite sure what this is...but if the dog was digging and not being yelled at. Maybe it was a new fox hole or rat tunnle...Taking his own entrenching tool into his hands he went into a small corner and started to dig a hole rather quickly. Soon up to his knees as he dug in deeper. Taking scoopfuls of earth as he went and placing them at the lip of the hole patting them down from time to time.

Quads

Postby Quads » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Konmae all but leapt up at the man starting to dig. "Hnn-Hey!" He hissed through the bile in the back of his throat. "You..- you! Stop with the digging! This is a garden, not a fething defensive line!" The anger of ruining his own tarp and then this lovely fellow stomping in during his conversation with the other..- the other man. It was hard to remember if he had a face, or a face that he spoke to, but he remembered he spoke with him and that there was a dog there. He also remembered that he needed to keep this place sturdy, and a bunch of miss-matched holes in what took him hours to straighten out were not going to help it.

"Didn't just.. see the irrigation rows..?" He muttered in a tired voice that came onto him very suddenly. Having used what remained of his energy in that outburst.

Riveris

Postby Riveris » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:42 pm

as the man called out at him he was allready slightly above his waste as he dug. He did stop for a moment as he was yelled at. "........wot the crak is that?" he called out and blinked confused. he never heard the word guarden before. He was not sure how to continue. then he looked at the dog for a moment. then back a his own hole. "Im not digging a defensive line.........." he said as he went back to digging. going deeper into the side.

Quads

Postby Quads » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:23 am

"Stop!" He hissed, advancing on the man. Konmae was masked as usual, with his red goggles imitating his vision right about now. "Stop digging! This is not a place for holes, the canine has ceased by now.." Great, it was already being ruined and he was just feeling fantastic about it. "Please just.. leave." Added the Conscript with a voice of pure exhaustion, looking down at the man in the hole and quietly considering all of the ways he wanted to take that shovel and knock himself unconcious. Stupid guard, stupid planet, stupid...- oh it was pointless. He could sulk later, he needed to fix this now.

Riveris

Postby Riveris » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Wilfred blinked for a moment he looked at the man then looked at his hole. "oh.....my apologies mate..." he said as he climbed on out and started to fill it in. He didnt mean to make this man upset. "so what is this place so posed to be if its not a trench or rat tunnle? " he asked as he continued to shovle the dirt back into place. He didnt want bad blood so he started to think of ways to help make up for it after he filled in his hole.

Quads

Postby Quads » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:50 pm

The former noble softened considerably, shaking his head. "It is.. a garden.." Then he had a small realization that the other man, had he recognized it as such, would not have started digging. "A place where..- where..-" Oh, wow, he had never had to quantify this before. Most of his rage having boiled off in seconds because of how completely beaten down he was. Konmae barely had the energy to be angry anymore. "Where people grow things to eat, or just to make things look a little better. Like.. a small agri-world." Yes, that sounded considerably better in his head but the tired man knew that he had to learn to articulate himself if he was going to live amongst the guard. "I'm just trying to make it functional.."

A task that seemed more impossible with every passing day.

Riveris

Postby Riveris » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:43 pm

"Ohh like the greeneries. or agrishafts" he said as he continued to fill in the hole. patting it down. making sure clay went in first to keep the fresh dirt on top now knowing what he thought this was.. "I thought those where only in rich peoples stations and vent systems.....who knew..." he said calmly. "learn something new everyday I supose." he said piling in another large scoop of earth. "how can I help then?" he asked not looking up. " s'only fair I help after almost cracking it up"

Quads

Postby Quads » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am

Konmae shook his head, sorely regretting having been such an ass. "No, no you..- you really needn't do anything more. I've just planted my first crop and hopefully will recover some more.. supplies for the future." He frowned beneath his mask, feeling the anger that overcame him dissipate under the blanket of loathing as it always did. "Gardens are a personal thing, but can be for others as well. We will need food of a kind, something that isn't a recycled corpse or.. old Grox meat." The former noble tried to stop from gagging. "You get the idea, yes? Though I did just knock down my tarp.."

He sighed, rubbing his balaclava-shrouded face. "A little help there would be appreciated, just trying to get the beam back up."

Riveris

Postby Riveris » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:31 pm

"Allright. Your the boss. Tell me what ya need t'a get done and ill see what I can do" he said calmly as he perked up a bit. "....I may not know much about plants but I do know a little about keeping things from falling over. Why dose your tarp keep falling?" he asked as he went towards the tarp. eying over its holding and how intact it was.

Quads

Postby Quads » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:45 pm

"Bad quality." The noble admitted sourly. "A conscript can only get so much here..- the metal poles I set up to keep it above the crops, well.." He gestured to the leftmost one being completely knocked over, apparently Konmae had not done a very good job of rooting them properly in the incredibly hard ground. He was strong, but not as strong as the others. Perhaps he could use a little help setting those in a stronger way. Perhaps.

Riveris

Postby Riveris » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:05 pm

Wilfred smiled "worse case senario. Ill call Dug." he said patting the noble on the shoulder as he went to the fallen pole taking his hands and carving out a small hole into the ground. pulling out the clay. molding it all together then taking his canteen. and using it to water the clay. molding it over the pole. then adding the rest of his water into the hole. pasting the clay in that area more. The matalic whirr of his augmatics purred lowder as he moved taking the movement and testing the weight. taking it into his grasp holding it from the base grunting from the weight as he angled himself lowering it slowly into the clay hole. the sqishing sound of the two wet clay molds meeting. whiping his brow. the girder was at least half sunk. "hows that mate?" he asked as cocked his head.

(rolled a two on forceful)