[Full] By the Book...

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Getting Commissar Yorke to assist in tidying the office had been an uphill struggle, and ultimately about as productive as one would imagine herding cats could be. Despite insisting it wouldn't matter, he still raised his feet and accomodated the vacuum cleaning.
In truth, it didn't matter. But Cat employing what he deemed tactical frustrating behaviour, at least kept Corporal Vayne from stressing about the upcoming meeting with Captain Perray.

"Should we have bathed the dog?" Yorke mused as he watched Vayne kick an errant chew toy beneath the cupboard. The look he received in response told Ray that he was achieving his desired effect. Perhaps a little too well.

As the time of arrival drew nearer, the commissar eventually stood up from his desk, straightened his uniform and headed to the nearby bathroom, emerging with a resigned expression and evidence of at least having attempted to tame his hair. He gave a small flourish before sitting back down and donning his cap.

It was all pretence that would likely fall apart inside the first ten minutes, as while all involved parties appreciated professionalism, they also simultaneously appreciated lack of it.
The meeting was intended to discuss Cat's proposal that Vayne be promoted to Quartermaster. Rather than bypass Perray, he'd vastly preferred involving her and asking what would allow her to feel confident in the decision.

Ray leaned back in his seat, and observed Vayne as he paced a little, "Cassius, I'm going to need you to not do that thing with your face. The thing you do with women." he pointed with both hands to his own face and did an uncanny impression of Vayne's patented charming young man expression.

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Main:

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:17 am

"... Maybe later. See how good a job I do of selling you as a Quartermaster." Cat didn't drop the coy facial expression, and flickered his eyelashes.

Seeing his aide still a little tenser than expected, Cat stood up and headed over, perching lightly beside Vayne.
The commissar nudged Cassius gently, "It's going to be fine. We're just reassuring your captain that you can do this. And if you don't meet her requirements, then we work until you do." Ray smiled, "It's not an all or nothing situation. The door doesn't close forever if you come up a little short today. It's about finding the goalposts. Then we can aim for them."

Cat laughed, "I'm pretty sure Perray is gonna deliberately tread mud all over the office anyway. We're paper pushing back here during a war, and she's deeply practical."
He looked down at himself, "Well, when I'm not leaving pieces of myself in the landscape. That is part of the necessity of your promotion, Cassius... It is a war. I'm probably going to-" he swallowed, "I want you to be able to hold your own without me if it's necessary. I want to know things still operate when I'm out of the picture, and you've proven you can handle that short term already."

Raising his head, the commissar listened for boot treads in the corridor.

Mordian Characters:

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:07 am

"Don't say that... You can't be my shield if you're dead..." Cassius mumbled, forcing himself to relax and uncross his arms. He glanced aside at Yorke, the intensity of the lost look less than he had shown at the pill-house that one afternoon. The younger man was still unsure, but only Perray could put that to rest with establishing the mentioned goalposts. Until then, Vayne was still a bit adrift in the world of the Guard.

"We'll figure it out..." He let out a sigh and waited for her arrival.
Main:

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:55 pm

The door swings open. Captain Perray knocks on it after the fact, announcing herself. She shuffles through the stack of files in her hands, trying to find a particular document. She addresses Cat without looking up.

"Commissar, beautiful day to die for the Emperor and all that, I'm looking for armory requisition requests and I can't-"

She finally looks up and sees Cat and Vayne waiting for her expectantly. Her eyebrows knot in befuddlement. Her eyes widen with realization.

"We had that meeting today." It's not a question or a statement.

She looks at Vayne. "Right. About you."

She clicks her tongue, realizing there's no way out of it now. She looks at Cat, her expression accusing.

"You're going to make me make a staff decision now, aren't you."

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm

At Vayne's response, Cat very nearly sighed and began to epxlain that of course he was going to die at some- The commissar instead bit the inside of his cheek and exhaled softly through his nose.
There was truth, and then there was harming people without reason... And at that moment, Ray was gazing quietly down at one of the last few vestiges of Cassius' childhood; his faith in promises.
"I don't have any plans to depart this mortal coil any time soon." he smiled tiredly, leaning very gently against Vayne's side, "Hell, this whole idea has given me renewed purpose to see this war through-"

At Captain Perray entering, Cat sat bolt upright, saluted, and attempted to look like he hadn't just been leaning conspiratorially on his aide. It was almost convincing.
Patiently taking the folders from the captain, then selecting a relevant couple and handing them to Vayne while the faint glow in his ears died down, Cat placed the rest on the desk for later.
He nodded at Perray, and gestured to a free seat, "Ye- Well no, not make you. I'd rather you be confident in any choices."

Sitting back behind his desk, Ray offered, "Recaff? Tea? Whatever remaining whiskey hasn't been stolen?" it clearly wasn't an offer on his behalf, being that he'd just sat down, but the intent was to continue keeping Cassius' mind off his troubles.

Mordian Characters:

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Main:

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:39 pm

Perray sighed, and plopped herself down in the chair opposite Cat's, unloading her stack of files onto the floor. She takes Vayne's offered Recaf. She reaches over Cat's desk and grabs the mostly-empty whiskey bottle by its neck, uncaps it with her thumb, and pops a dram into her cup. "Lovely afternoon for a staff meeting." She emphasized the word afternoon, to absolve herself of any thought that she might be starting a little early.

She crosses her legs and looks at Vayne, then Cat.

"So, here we have it. We'll have someone with ranks on to make sure our guns shoot straight and our grenades go off. Maybe even feed us every now and then."

She studies Vayne, and smiles. "Pretty Quartermasters have a tendency to get what they want, too. And you're no stranger to that."

She arches an eyebrow at Cat. "But what I want to know is, why do you want Vayne for it...?"

She points her eyebrow back to Vayne, "...and why do you want it?"

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:41 am

Cat leaned forward and rested his mouth on his fingers for a moment, in part to stop him from blurting out an immediate answer. There were several, all of them true, but some pointed out real failings in Cassius. But then, looking at Perray, she was already fully aware of at least a few of those failings.

The commissar held his hand out for his mug, smiling his gratitude to Vayne, before turning back to Perray, "...Mainly? Because I trust him. Cassius doesn't see us as numbers on paper, Joyca. He sees us as people who need to be able to survive. Reluctance to cause harm makes him a fairly limited line trooper, but also makes him an excellent candidate for the back end of things." Noticing his own poor choice of words, Cat slow blinked and tried to veer back on point.

"He can't just sit on his ass forever, cute as it is. We both know he's a fucking liability on the front line, but I really believe he easily has it in him to handle quartermastery." Cat held out his palms, clear that he was speaking as it came to him, rather than very concisely, "It's not a case of me keeping a pet-project safe, it's a matter of having someone who actually understands this system well enough to keep us functioning... And someone who does it for the right reasons."

Mordian Characters:

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:42 am

Between Perray and Yorke, Vayne wasn't sure if he should feel flattered or insulted with all the comments spoken so openly. He had smiled a little with a slight inclination of his head when the Captain had called him 'pretty', but Cat whalloped that swiftly with the hard truth that he very much was a liability in combat.

The young man's expression was stony for a moment before he spoke, as though not sure what question he had expected.

"As for 'why', Captain... I don't know what else I can do that I can excel at. You want to put the best people for the job forward right? Rather than slot in someone better suited for something else? And I'll be honest, I certainly don't care to be a glorified secretary forever... Bottom line is, I don't want to harm anyone, and this way I can help out instead."

After a pause, he added with a slightly knowing smirk, "And prove I'm not just a pretty face with no substance."
Main:

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Yorke stared at Vayne, he's making the face.

"That isn't to say Cassius isn't trying." Cat added softly, "Neither of us are ignoring the areas that need improvement."
He stirred the recaff and sipped, "This week, I sent him to train melee and learn with the Katavarians, Croaker and Urdnot's noble lunatics. He did well, and they welcomed him as a brother for his willingness to pitch in."

Mordian Characters:

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:28 am

Perray's other eyebrow rises in surprise, not sure how to process the image of Vayne bayonetting something. A smirk starts to cross her face as she imagines it, but she contains herself. "Found the right end of the bayonet, eh? Well, there's a start."

Perray sips her toddy, and smacks her lips. "That is all fine, sound reasoning, sure. And the fact that you understand your limitations is reassuring. But, why you, and not one of the Kriegers? Why not one of the admins, chained to their desk up in Anya's tower?"

Perray points a finger at Vayne, and says with mock severity, "This is a new question, so you'll need to answer with something other than "Because I'm handsomer than they are.""

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:20 am

Vayne was taken aback for a moment, and it was obvious he was thinking with the way his eyes shifted to the side to glance at his desk, considering... Why him, really? Compared to anyone else who could probably do the work more efficiently, who lived and breathed paperwork- kind of like DiMettrio. As much as he despised the other noble, Aesteban was good at something.

"Um..." He started, to his own growing horror, drawing a blank in his mind; The young nobleman was always able to come up with an excuse or supply an answer to anything to gain ground in his own favor, but for once he was stumped in trying to promote himself.

"... Honestly, I don't know," Cassius glanced back at Perray, schooling the momentary loss and insecurity into a passive stare. He shrugged, lips pursing in a helpless gesture, "They're probably more suited for the actual position, if I were to weigh actual knowledge and experience against my own. But I'd try to learn..."

The redhead held the Captain's gaze for a moment before looking down at his boots, not wanting to meet Cat's. He knew he had failed the Commissar by losing confidence for being the right man for the job. There was always someone better suited than oneself.
Main:

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm

Cat was reassured when Cassius didn't try to bluff his way through the question, but his brow creased when the other seemed to shrink back. Recognising something of Vayne's tendency to throw in the towel when hitting a wall, Yorke lowered his mug and hummed softly for a moment. Cat certainly couldn't answer for the other, but he could at least hold off the sulking.

The commissar leaned over slightly looking up at the lad's face with a patient expression, and moved a hand past Vayne's eyeline; not snapping his fingers, simply trying to catch his attention with the movement towards his own face, "...You're not on trial, Cassius. We're not here to embarrass you." he chuckled, "Well, not over your work-"

Waiting for Vayne to actually meet his eye, Cat's grin spread slightly, and before it was possible for his aide to react, the hand whipped around and caught him with an audible whap! on the rear, "Now pull your chair up, or sit that down so we can all concentrate."
Returning to a perfectly straight face, Yorke rested his hands neatly around his mug, and expertly ignored the nearby reaction.
That ought to take his mind off the self pity. c:

Mordian Characters:

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Vayne's eyes slid up to meet Yorke's before he noticed the widening grin- Oh what now-

The slap on the rear startled the Corporal enough that he actually jumped a little and yelped aloud, before glaring at Ray with a scandalized scoff. Definitely flustered out of his sulk, Cassius pulled out the second chair and promptly dropped his stinging butt down onto its seat, hands fisted on his lap with a huffed, "Yes, sir."
Main:

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Perray blinked, surprised at Vayne's reaction, and then smiled. "Well, bowl me over. You're taking this seriously. And you actually answered with some humility!"

Perray shuffles through the forms, signing here and there, before drawing out her captain's signet, and stamping the final page.

"There, that should be most of it. If I'm missing something important, just forge it, eh? I have to make armory call in ten, so I can have fun filling all of that paperwork."

Her smile drops and she looks Vayne in the eye. "Listen. You're a good fit for this, but I'm glad you understand that this will be a challenge for you. Go hard at it. You'll rise to meet it and we'll have you back to thinking you're the Emperor's gift to bureaucracy in no time."

She rises, and salutes you.

"Congratulations, Quartermaster."

SilverRuby

Postby SilverRuby » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm

It was stunned confusion that Vayne sat there, gawping at Perray as she signed the paperwork, before the reality hit him and he stood, hastily to salute in return.

"Th-Thank you, Captain Perray- I won't let you down, I swear-" The redhead couldn't help the jovial tremble in his tone, the sudden, bright grin on his face. He looked to Cat, then, as though seeking approval, clearly full of glee at the opportunity given to him.
Main:

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Whatever Vayne expected to see from Cat, the younger man's gaze was returned with warmth.
"Congratulations, quartermaster." Yorke stood, giving a neat salute in turn, almost failing to keep a straight face as a grin fought to break through. An excited light danced in his eyes, but the commissar held it together.

He closed the door behind Perray, and allowing a few beats Ray gave up the pretence, his face cracking and grinning full-beam.
Closing the gap between himself and Cassius, ignoring any objections, Cat half-hugged, half lifted the new quartermaster off his feet and spun him while still beaming, "Cassius! You fuckin' did it! I knew she'd see you could!"

Halting the giddiness after a moment, and holding Vayne's shoulders so he didn't suddenly overbalance, Ray smiled more sincerely, "You deserved this."

Mordian Characters: