[OPEN | Social] Gym Tent and Training Grounds

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:14 pm

At the end of the 3rd rotation the Kriegerin remained silent, her eyes moved and rolled slowly from one point of lingering fixation to the other, thoughtul.
"Shtill Proccessing, sir" she said and began the final rotation.

How does an entirely different and greatly abnormal Kriegerin explain Kriegers? There are obvious similarities and yet the 945th were made to be distinct, a more elastic mindset with almost completely reversed priorities.
More still, how can this unit speak of things that are under no circumstance, bar the insistance of the Emperor's Most Holy Servants and Enforcers, are to be spoken?

The strain was visible in the feint wobbling of the bar, where at the start of the training the the proverbial tide reached smooth sandy coasts, here it came upon steep cliffs. Still, where waves break the tide always pushes through, the Kriegerin's expression of resolute determination was not for once buckled under the strain. How much of it was Physical or Mental is known only to her.

Gently and Slowly the barbell was placed in its rightful place, the Kriegerin exhaled.

Then she sat and finally stood, then stretched again, not before wiping the bench from her sweat. Basic biological proccesses affect all humans, even those of the 945th, they all Bleed.

Her expression was thoughtful "Howv vould you deskribe ze learnedt knowvladge in komparison to ze experiencedt andt ze factors of each verzion?"

/

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:15 pm

"Simply put, reality is more complicated than anyone has managed to accurately portray in a book. At least any of the books I've read."

The lieutenant took place once more on the bench, getting into position proper but waiting a little bit before he reached for the barbell.

"But that answer is a bit of a cop out, I know. Ultimately, I find that texts often reveal quite a bit a bit about their authors and what they think important. Take "The lessons of the battle of Temestrian fields" by Scamarros for instance. It considers the average soldier to be quite expendable and that the only consideration that you need to have is whether the troops are at all capable of achieving the tasks set for them. It has a very clean and clinical approach and describes various regiments the way some would describe weapons.

As you might guess from that description, he's primarily concerned with larger units and spare very little thought to small unit tactics. He speaks very fondly of krieg forces but doesn't spend a single thought how to use them outside of their element. I'm not too sure how applicable his thoughts are to our current circumstances."

Taking a firm grip he lifted the barbell of it's stand holding it in place once more before beginning his rotation again.

"I hope that is a start to answering your question. Now, your turn. How do you find working with the rest of us?"
Private Tabitha Maru - Lieutenant Yudel Eckhardt

Thanks to blinddeadmcjones for the avatar

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:59 pm

'Lessons of the battle of Temestrian fields -Scamarros', the Kriegerin vaguely recalled that title from her Captain's collection of books.
Not being a member of the Company Officers and Senior NCOs' 'Book Club', she had little work with the raw material and mostly was given just the Club's Directives resulting from analysing the material in question and at times was given a summary of some extracts to review in order to give the Club a focused approach coming from the ranks below.
Judging by the Lieutenant's words, he may possess the suitable qualities to be an outside member the Club is in a desperate need of, a Word to move up the rank ladder...

"I remember my Kaptain haz zis book and kann offer better judgemendt than I on it. I vill notify Kompany Kommandt."

As previously, when the man did his routine the Kriegerin's slightly deformed and calloused hands hovered just beneath the metal stick with utmost care not to actually hold it, but be as close as possible the laws of physics would allow her to if the Lieutenant can't suddenly endure the weight. All the while chanting Inspirational Quotes taken directly from the Local-Warzone-Printed Imperial Guard Infantryman's Uplifting Primer who in turn were interrupted by the numbers she used for counting in her language.

Her mind raced through Company Command Directives and Memorandums, using them as building blocks to compose a satisfactory answer. Acting as nothing more than a data node, she used and rearranged quotes of her superiors to essentially become the Mouthpiece of the Company in the Conversation. Which, to be honest, was also her stance as a member of said company that did not doubt its leaders.

"Zere are Several Konflics Betveen Krieg Units and Non-Krieg Units shtemming from a ze most fundemental vone:
Ze Typikal Kriegers' Methodt of Varr andt Thinking haz only Allies andt Enemies vithout intermediate stances or finesse due to extreme over-spesializaztion into High-Intensity Siege Varrfare, Kombinedt vith Paranoia: Zey result to automatikally label anything zey don't undershtand as eizer Non-Importandt or Hostile, inkluding ozer Guard Forces, Non-Aligned Lokals and ze enviromentt in general.
It Kauses very rigid thought andt akztion patterns unsuited to cooperaztion vith non-Krieg Units. It kauses mutual distrust andt hostility betveen ze types. Ze only successful methodt to kreate positiffe enkounters vith non-Kriegers I haffe been using so far, vas employing direkt deviancy from expektaztions andt aktive pursuit of those interakztions due to hesitance on Non-Krieg side and Self-Imposed Isolationism by Kreig Units."
Her voice turned weaker and hesitent "I... Haffe learnedt a lot..."

/

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:32 am

For a moment the krieger's analysis gave the lieutenant pause. Making him even stop mid-rotation to ponder what it was they said. That the problem between the forces of krieg and the other regiments was a result of overspecialization on the side of the former. Perhaps a bit reductionist, but it was a good start of a thorough analysis if nothing else. Probably far more than a start. He had been impressed by this individual before, and once more she had exceeded his expectations.

Hanging up the barbell, he sat up and turned to the krieger. The pain in her voice not slipping past him.

"Life can be like that sometimes: painful. Not everything one experiences is going to be pleasant. And it can be... difficult to process. It's something I find often neglected by people like Scamarros. They treat life as cheap and thus the pains of life as unimportant.

But it isn't. It's very relevant. It's part of life and shouldn't be diminished. But... it's also not something you necessarily have to carry alone. Sometimes, sharing it with someone else that you trust can make it easier to bear. "

For a moment, it occurred to the lieutenant that he was speaking to the krieger as if she was a teenager that had suffered the brunt of her own raging emotions. But perhaps that wasn't a bad analogy. Perhaps kriegers in general, despite their apparent stoicism, were badly equipped to deal with emotion.

"Life isn't easy... that's something all of us can relate to. Perhaps not your specific situation, but we all carry our own pain"

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Misinterpreting the man's ponderous stop for faltering, the Kriegerin's hands sprung into action to grab and lift the metal rod, though seeing he continued Erika released it.

Pain was not an uplifting subject for this Kriegerin to talk about: Not physical pain of course, that type accompanied her from the moment a Gene Smith's miscalculation caused an irreparable genetic flaw, resulting in any sort of light to be as painful as placing glowing coals on her eyes; neither was it a mental crushing type, enough sessions with the resident psykers, strict regimen and drills as part of training made up for that to the point where the two register as some numb thing on her consciousness. Damaging, to be avoided but ultimately not blinding the mind.

No, the damage Erika was un-inclined to discuss, one might even say 'Afraid' to, was the 3rd. The one without name which she could not explain neither by logic nor intuition: It was different, internal wounding of hollowness in the lungs, unusual movement in the gut and crushing at the chest. Why was it painful to remember Candidate #7? He was a defective for not pulling the trigger first, she should feel good for preserving the regiment's purity. Why was it painful to remember Ritter? Dealing with the Mind Moulding Psykers? Almost any other Krieger outside 945th? Why was it painful to know about that pain?

Unlike those before it, the latter question had an answer: Proper Kriegers shouldn't be affected by Pain yet she does.

Thrown back to reality, the emotionally juvenile yet physically mature woman understood she left the Officer without an answer for far longer than is acceptable.

"Sir, I think ze korreckt non-krieg term iz: Ja, Tell me Aboutt itt." she said with soft combing motion of her hair and a fabricated weak smile stemming more from uncertain embarrassment rather than the meek attempt at humour it was meant to hide under.

"Next Kvestzion, Sir?"

/

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:04 pm

There's being supportive and there's being nosy. Sometimes knowing the difference is not all that easy. Sometimes you step back when you shouldn't. Sometimes you go digging into stuff that's still raw. But a good rule of thumb is not to pry too much when you barely know the person, yet offer them the chance should they wish to take the next step. The lieutenant gave the soldier an understanding nod and then slid back under the barbell.

"That is indeed what we say when we don't want to talk about it. Very well, message received. Just know... that if you ever want to discuss the pain that we all share... I offer to listen. I might not be your superior officer but I extend the offer nonetheless."

With that he returned to lifting the barbell, he couldn't remember where he was so he started the rotation all over.

"Can't think of a question. Do you have one?"

Archer

Postby Archer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:01 pm

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:12 am

Not neglecting her primary duty to keep count, Erika remembered the current number the Lieutenant was on, that being 8 and assisted his memory.

"I thought ze expression vas intendedt to express undershtanding andt form a positiffe konnektzion based upon similar experience. Positiffe konnektzions are parralel to cooperatzion" she attempted to explain herself. "Regardless, thank you for ze offer, sir, Elf, but vithout offense I estimate you are unable to support, zwölf, on zis beyondt foregin knowladge. Dreizehn."

After a short pause in which the Kriegerin did not engage in the conversation but concentrated on providing numbering and morale she finally came up with a question "Vat do you think kann be done to improve inter-regimental cooperatzion?"

/

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:42 am

Having finished his latest rotation, he sat up and and rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he answered the soldier.

"How does anyone learn to work together? By doing it. We need to build trust between the regiments. Learn how one another thinks and operates so we know what we can expect. Practice to begin with, but ultimately nothing compares to the real deal.

However... I think an important element is missing there as well. Namely that most of us do not wish to die. We're ready to do our part for Him on Terra, but we'd all prefer to come out alive and for our comrades to do so as well. So we enter the silent contract: you keep me alive and I keep you alive.

But I think many soldiers here fear that you haven't entered into this contract. You'll keep us alive only when ordered to. And so... we don't dare to trust you and well... without trust there'll be no improved cooperation. I suppose this is mirrored among your kin... seeing the rest of us as hesitant to lay down our lives for the objective.

So I think it's two-fold, on one hand we all need to know how one another works... so that when it comes down to it we need not ask what the other will do. On the other we need to know that the soldier next to us will do everything in their power to protect us."

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Erika blinked at the revelation of the Lieutenant, and after a moment of thought had an answer
"I kannot speak on behalffe ofv ze other komponents in ze 554th Regiment but I vas tought zat terminatzion iz a highly probable abrupt rezult, not an end goal to be actiffely striven for. I undershtandt ze sins ofv my anceshtors kann be kleansed only vith my death but it shouldtn't interfere vith ze mission if possible. My Kaptain saidt of it uh.. 'Shtrategic Manpowver retentzion allowvs for lengthy deployment cycles andt increases ze Formatzion's taktical andt operatzional utility'.
I think ouvr side treats yours as lacking kommittment to accept ze possibility of Terminatzion, and fighting efficiently. Shtemming from spesializaztion into High Intensity Varrfare."

How could the physical effort to train the mortal body became merely a background event to a deep discussion? Erika felt the regular exhaustion effects of physical training as in all previous times but... They didn't really register in, too distracted was her mind to process it fully so the two simply kept going.

"In regards to learning ze thinking andt aktzion patterns of other guard forces, vas it brought to effekt in ze Urban Varrfare Training Exercise?"

Erika had taken Ekhardt's place on the bench and began her next rotation.

/

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Taking his towel and wiping his forehead, the lieutenant pondered the soldier's analysis for a moment. It was pretty similar to hos own, but it got him thinking. Perhaps a big part of the problem was the various peoples of the guard blaming one another for failing to resolve the situation. Venting one's frustration with the current situation on the other soldier's with unfamiliar doctrines. Perhaps. Well worth examining with some other officers.

"It was a step in the right direction, or so I'd like to think. It honed our skills at working together, it brought some things to the surface and it taught us a little bit more about one another. But it was far from enough. More is needed. Ideally we'll be a well oiled machine in the near future."

When the krieger was finished with her latest rotation and offered her the spot he gestured to indicate that he was satisfied with his workout thus far.

"I think that'll have to be enough for me for today. Can't spend all day in here after all"

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Some things surfaced up, some of them the Unit still blamed upon herself though she was still not given the opportunity how to atone for.
Erika Wiped her shoulder and back as Ekhardt laid down the summary and stated his intent of departure.
An officer's Work Schedule, especially of those that actually work is more hectic than of a Scout on a temporal leave destined for fitness maintenance so Erika approached the departure with Understanding.

"Affirmatiffe Sir. I bid you 'Good Day'." The woman replied with a warm smile and turned to the rest of the Training Equipment, continuing her regimen to forge and maintain a War Machine.

[[Unless Approached or I decide to join some conversation, Erika will be quietly working out and at some point, leave.]]

/