Active Plot Thread - Payback's a Botch

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:04 pm

Paxton gave the gentle smile of a caring father as he took a knee beside Savin to pour the Tana. "No need to apologize, my only concern is whether it's keeping you warm or not." He whispered, filling her mug. At this point he noticed the features of the rattling and smiled. He hadn't actually properly meet one before. "That's an interesting accent you have sister, what regiment are you with?".
//

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Once the officers started talking to people and all the higher ups grouped together to talk, what once might have been considered a formation quickly devolved into a gagglefuck as people went to go to talk to their friends. There Gabby had anything close to a friend they weren’t here, clear from the sour looks she’s gotten from the people that weren’t trying to avoid looking at her, like Lieutenant Brinton.

If this bothered the redhead it didn’t show. Gabby was used to it. Hate and distrust were common emotions directed to penal legionnaires. She would be lying if she didn’t relish it at least a little bit. However, she was here to fix a reputation, to fix her business, and perhaps fix a few more contacts. With this in mind, she turned around to see who was still in the formation with her.

Almost immediately behind her was what she guessed was a Mordian. She could only guess because the dress uniform they were known for wasn’t covered in dried mud. Weren’t Mordians known for keeping things clean to unbearable standards? Nearby was a man wearing not-Elysian gear who looked like he was ready to drop… straight into a nap. She could see why for he had the haunted look she’s seen in many soldiers. He was a liability; tired soldiers got people killed but they did make easy marks. Then there was a Krieger. Of course there was; there was almost always at least one in every join operation. What was unusual was this one was from the smallest population of the breeds: the 19th. That was as far as she cared between the nuances of different Kriegers for the only thing that mattered was that they were all mixed bags; they can be relied on to kill things and die when they need to but practically every other command they had to be babied through to prevent extremes. That and they were all straight edged rats. Good thing this was a simple mission where all they have to really do is kill.

Gabby decided this Mordian would be her first mark. The Sergeant looked her up and down before saying, “Get sprayed by a passing truck?”
Apparently, I made too many characters. Here they are:

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:02 am

"heh, yeah she's not exactly making it very easy for them, on her last escape attempt she got as far as the officers club..Sir" not sure if he was oversharing or not levi figured it was best to change subject "in any case, me and the old girl here *hefts up his plasma gun* are ready and waiting in her stead to show those traitors how small the galaxy can feel when they frak with the guard. Sir"

as brinton turned his attention elsewhere slone cast a glance around to see if he would be with any familiar faces, noting the ogryn as he spotted tabitha along with some sneering sargeant major hassling said ogryn -his eyes narrowed at that, wondering if this NCO was going to become a problem later on- and a guy clad in chainmail, another krieger, then yorke being...yorke, a sleep deprived guy in elysian gear, a mordian without a clean uniform -by far the biggest surprise of the day- being approached by an unseen son and paxton, who had just approached the sneezing bundle next to him to offer the ratling underneath some tana.

without much else to do the corporal took a lho out of its packet, debating whether light it up now or save it for later.
guard characters: ///

QuothTheRaven

Postby QuothTheRaven » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 am

Savin offers a lopsided grin "Its been doin a fine job, thanks." She takes a tentative sip of the Tanna tea and pulls a wry face. "Its certainly a uhm, strong taste," she offers. After a moment she takes another sip. "Not bad, though, hm."
At the question about her regiment she shifts in her blanket nest to show her collar pins, "Korvazen 772nd, the Tiger Rifles." She beams with pride.

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:38 am

"Well, I'm glad your enjoying it." The Valhallan replied. Paxton's face lit up just that little bit more with interest. "I haven't heard about your regiment yet, if we have time now I'd like to learn a little more about it. Though first I must ask for your forgiveness since I haven't even ask your name or given my own. I'm Paxton Morov, though call me what you like. And what would be your name?".

As he talked, the nco put his thermos away and instinctively pulled out a lighter and held it up above his head towards where Levi stood as an offer. With a flick he held the flame where it could be seen, but not too close as to be an annoyance.
//

QuothTheRaven

Postby QuothTheRaven » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:03 am

"Savin Deveraux, pleased to meet ya, cher."
She offers a hand to shake. "Not many of us left in this part of the war, and we're swamp rats by nature, so they have us out on ambush all the time. That's where I picked up this foutu sniffle."

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:17 pm

With a cough that was mostly deliberate, Brinton signalled that he was about to speak again.
"It seems the majority of us are now here. I wish to thank those of you who made the time to volunteer, as well as those here out of duty. It is likely that this will be quite a bloody day by the end."

Stowing his handkerchief back into his sleeve, Lieutenant Brinton gestured to the group, "However you will not be entirely alone. You will be joined by a small force of Unseen-"
"Like hell they will!" the tent flap was thrown aside with a surprising amount of violent energy considering it lacked any hard structure. Major Keegan barged his way out behind Brinton, nearly knocking him aside.
Keegan's expression was one that could cut glass as he rounded on the younger man, "Your namby pamby groxshit cost me a captain, and good men. I'm taking lead, and if you think you're taking my men anywhere, you're-"
"-your captain's mistake is how the rebels infiltrated to begin with! You cannot ignore your responsibility-" the Second Son snarled back, ready to drop straight back into the argument that had barely just calmed.

"Two teams."

The pair sharply turned to stare incredulously at Yorke, as the commissar stood with his hands raised, imploring they cease. The glares would cause anyone else to take a pace back, but at this point Yorke was simply exhausted from the fighting.
Keegan narrowed his eyes, silent.
Brinton looked infuriated but also slightly uncertain, wondering how the other two men could turn this against him.

"Two teams, the Major can exercise his part of the plan, and Lieutenant Brinton can run his distraction with frontal assault while the Major's team gets in position." Yorke's eyes flicked from one to the other, before falling silent.
"I... Suppose." Brinton nodded, wary but grateful that someone else has made the call, and ended the bickering.

"First real sense I've heard spoken today," Keegan muttered, "And it comes from a frakking-"
He turned and gazed at the assembled group, eyes picking through faces and ranks.
"You." he pointed at Gabby, "An' you two," his hand drifted across the crowd to Levi and Ema. He then pointed at Savin, and almost as a casual afterthought, Tabitha inclining his head to show they should follow, before starting to step away.

Brinton's jaw tightened but he remained silently seething, his force diminished. But at least with Keegan gone, he could get back to-
"With me, Stretch." Keegan snapped his fingers without looking fully at Cat, the surprise causing the commissar to hesitate.

Noticing Cat's pause, the major turned his head towards Yorke with a half smirk, "No? Your leash caught on something?"
"No. Just didn't expect-" Yorke mumbled. His own eyes followed Keegan's gaze past his shoulder, to where Brinton was gritting his teeth at the pair with white-faced indignation, "-Ah."
The major nodded, still smiling casually, before strolling away.

Cat gave the Second Sons Lieutenant an apologetic expression, and followed, leaving Brinton stood very alone before the remnants of the group he'd been so confident in, moments earlier.
The Second Son looked up at the ogryn at his side, "You going to keep our morale up now, Dug? Make sure people stay upbeat?"
There was a quiet resignation to the question, but no cruel sarcasm.

[ Keegan's Group ]

"I don't appreciate being used to troll Lieutenant Brinton." Cat easily matched Keegan's pace, his body language calm enough from a distance, but his tone clipped.
"Don't rightly care what you appreciate." the major snorted, "Prove yourself more useful than the brat, and I may start to." he slowed and finally fully looked at the Commissar, silently assessing.
Cat met the uncomfortable silence with a patient stare of his own.

"Something you may appreciate, Commissar... Unlike Brinton, I judge by actions, not prior reputation..." Keegan spoke louder, turning his head and addressing the small group, "Half of you wouldn't have gotten a look in on glory-boy's little excursion. He doesn't see any value in your skills."

As the group left the courtyard and turned a corner, they joined a small squad of Unseen Sons, busy unloading various crates from a truck.
"Whereas, we got some pretty nice party favours to take with us." Major Keegan tipped his head indicating the group should also gather from the crates.

The nearest crate brimmed with det packs and beside it, heavy flamers rested against one side, the scent of fuel in the air nearby.
"Anyone with actual demolition and fire team experience, grab what you can carry. Otherwise leave it alone. No accidents on my watch." Keegan spoke pointedly, before remembering, "Oh, camoline cloaks..." he waved to a mostly emptied crate.

The Unseen Sons watched the new arrivals with silent interest, but seemed to have no issue sharing with them, so long as their Major gave the orders.
One easily slung a tank onto his back, picking up a single heavy flamer and leaving the other for the group.

(( If you choose to take the heavy flamer, your own weapon will be returned to your barracks. The Unseen Sons may be thieves, but right now you're working to benefit them. ))

[ Brinton's group ]

Composing himself once more, Brinton drew himself back up to full height.
"Right. We shall be providing distraction by way of openly assaulting the camp, while Major Keegan does his thing..." he glanced around, "I realise that is disproportionate risk, but the more successful we are, the more time we buy for his team to come up from behind."

The lieutenant pointed toward the exit of the courtyard, where half a dozen Second Sons appeared to be waiting, "...We shall have a minimal amount of back up. The Cadians are far too busy guarding the wall now that it has been compromised..."
He glanced back to the group, "Any questions?"

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

QuothTheRaven

Postby QuothTheRaven » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:09 pm

Unhappily, Savin extricates herself from the bundle of blankets to follow the major. She notices he still is wearing rank pins caged from other units and smiles to herself, thinking about the bag of Unseen Sons pins hidden in the rafters of North Barracks.
She glances quickly over the assembled gear, but shakes her head. "I'm all set." She adjusts her chameleoline coat tighter and takes another sip of tanna. The taste was starting to grow on her.

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:37 pm

The Sergeant's steely eyes looked right back at the Lieutenant, head inclined slightly to the side with either respect or shake. Hands returning behind the back, slightly nudging the slung over repeater shotgun. Whatever metaphorical holes sir Brakii intended to insert had no such effect on the veteran soldier who returned his own gaze, much harder than the one he usually gives when appraising someone's merit.

"Yes, Sir." Montgomery slowly enunciated each word and returned back to the fold just in time for 2nd Lt. Brinton to explain the Plan -or rather, embarrass himself again to this lowborn leader.

David shot Brakii a quick look now from distance, it is generally considered bad manners to disrupt a conversation of Officers midst planning, as it is their duty to give a direction - the Duty of an NCO is to make everyone else stay in that direction. Such negligence to look at reality can be easily forgiven if not for the 2nd overstep: Command personnel should never disagree in front of the troops unless some unknown change was enacted in the plans.
Brakii made none: He just directed him straight to the Loinspawn for personal orders, which had he the patience would be given after first briefing. So he is one of Those Officers: Those who want everything to be personally approved by them at any given moment, Fine. The Sergeant spat to the side of the road, He can arrange this Knight a total control of the operation until he breaks under the pressure, that is, if the Sgt. Major prioritises personal insults - and he does not.

Montgomery paced along the formation and stopped at the end of the Officer line as befits an NCO from where he paid close attention to the rest of the formation, or what's left of it after Keegan took the best of the crop:

A Valhallan whose Beard probably goes way beyond regulations,
A Disgrace of a Trooper in Drop-Gear who would be falling to the ground either from exhaustion or a bullet he missed -endangering the formation,
A Death Korps Greandier, Good,
the Abhuman, probably good, would be hard to control mid combat
6 Loinspwans who already know not to look at him back and of course...
Brakii.
"Sir" Montgomery slightly raised his voice "I understand we have a member of the Valhallan Logistics Regiment in our formation..." he quickly eyed Moroz before returning his eyeballs to Brinton "By what means will we be transported to the camp? I understand the faster we are there, the more time Keegan has to prepare and the assault group will have an imaginable chance to survive this plan. What Enemies are we expecting to face, and will we be able to procure a shield for the Ogryn?"
The last question is of course referring to the late incident in which a different Ogryn procured himself a Fortification Assistant in the form of a Bunker's Blast Door, which while was exceptionally useful on the battlefield hampered the defence of vehicles from rain, until the Motor Pool blew up of course. At any rate, if the Ogryn is to protect the Lt, then he'd best do so with a tool constructed specifically for this purpose.

/

Zeppo

Postby Zeppo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Mordian Iron Guard :
: /

Riveris

Postby Riveris » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Fates End

Postby Fates End » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:06 am

The team was split, and it seemed Ema was sent with the other group. Ah well. He would have enjoyed fighting by her side, but it wasn't to be.

And then the commander---Brinton, was it? Asking about questions. What sort of questions could there be with such a group? A bunch of fools and maybe a few decent killers amongst them. This was going to go badly, but there was nothing else for it.

While outwardly he didn't move, inside his eyes were darting too and fro within his mask as he tried to take the measure of those around him. Who would live, who would probably die. Did they have any good gear on their person that might be worth grabbing when they died? That was the real question. But likely not the sort that Brinton wanted to hear. Yes sir, do you mind if I loot your corpse when you die? That wouldn't go over well.

Thus the ashen, dusty Grenadier remained stationary and mute. Waiting for orders to move out, or for some stupid fool to actually ask the Lieutenant a question.
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement."

(Fates now has too many characters to link easily. Thus follow this handy link to my character thread and go wild.

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:11 am

The PFC saluted Gabby before giving her explanation. Ema could see she was angry. That was one of the smartest dumb things she’s ever heard. However, she wasn’t mad because it seemed like a shitty excuse for a dirty uniform. She couldn’t give a shit and was more surprised whoever her superiors were didn’t either. Or that none of those snobby higher ups tried to snap at her about it. She only brought it up because she considered pushing some bleach or some sort of cleaner on her. No, what pissed her off was that she fucking saluted her. She was aware that for some regiments it was hardwired that they salute anything looking more important than them but she’s seen many people being saluted to die from a sniper bullet.

Before Gabby could berate her, however, the Lieutenant called for attention in that polite cough that cowards like to use, forcing her to face forward and pay attention. When an extremely familiar voice roared from inside the tent, Gabby had to suppress her smile to a grin. Her sources have yet again proven right! Out through the tent burst Major Keegan, who immediately dug into that imbecile Brinton. Things were looking up if Keegan was here. The snobs will be cowed and they’ll actually get grak done! It was almost a pity the Commissar here to stop the fighting with his suggestion: breaking into two teams. That was… excellent. Excellent indeed.

It was no surprise that Gabby was picked to join the Major’s team. Once he started walking away she turned to see who was picked. Thankfully, it was none of the noble pricks. This had the added benefit of placing her as the most senior enlisted in the group. She took the time to see who else was in this group as they followed the Major. Ema came along with a Prometheron, a Cadian, and a Ratling. It was the last two that caused her happy mood to sour. Gabby didn’t like Cadians almost on principle, their regiments had beef and she thought they were overrated. The Tiger Rifles however directly slighted them for they somehow stole a lot of the regiment’s rank pins. The thought of the 'aftermath' brought a small smile to her face. One of her more elaborate schemes. The boys who lost the thief said she was a ratling, perhaps it was this one?

Gabby listened to the Major’s briefing, keeping a straight face. A true leader he was; for only he could get so many of the regiment through this war alive. Gear was then supplied to them by a few familiar faces. As she looked through the gear she started to recognize where these came from. She helped acquire a few of these. So this was what they were for. It also seemed fitting that some of the people who helped her were here too. She grabbed a camo cloak and a demo pack before she went to join the rest of her comrades.

“Hey Mic, did you get the package you ordered yet?” she asked one of them quietly. ‘Package’ being some stim and lho sticks.
Apparently, I made too many characters. Here they are:

CyGamer

Postby CyGamer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:38 am

Who says the future has to be grimdark? Matt Ward that's who.

Heart|Soul

Postby Heart|Soul » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:24 am

Lourn blinked a few times, trying to come up with something, anything to add. He shrugged off the first thing that came into his mind, since Brinton had already stated where they were going. The second question, though...

Bringing himself to attention, he cleared his throat and asked, "Sir, what should we expect the rebels to be using? What kind of weapons or gear do we know they have?"

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:56 pm

Tabitha found herself a little off balance, metaphorically speaking. First the sergeant major lay into Dug for being late for muster, chewing the much larger abhuman in a way only sergeants could. She wasn't entirely sure why he did it though. Sure, the ogryn was late but that was surely his handler's fault... she was pretty sure ogryns wasn't generally left to making their own plans. So she guessed the sergeant went after the ogryn just to prove he wasn't afraid of anything to the rest of the group. Made sense to her she guessed, though she felt bad for Dug since he probably didn't quite understand that... shouting at ogryn's was kinda like shouting at children or dogs.

But all that paled in comparison to the very public argument between lieutenant Brinton and major Keegan. The young cadian shifted uncomfortably as the two seemed to get closer and closer to punching one another. Then it all ended as quick as it had started with Yorke's idea and Keegan's approval. That he picked Levi and Savin was no surprise to her at all. The mordian seemed like a good pick as well, she remembered her from the wall. The Unseen Son sergeant was a given.

That he wanted her for his mission however, that surprised her. The animosity between their regiments was known and one she had some experience with, and none exemplified that like the major and her captain.

Regardless of reason, she wasn't going to give him any cause to think his stance on her people was validated. Not if she could help it. She'd do the best job she could. As she followed the major to the Unseen Son squad she felt how the sergeant was giving her a few dark looks but tried not to acknowledge them, just look up whenever she noticed the sergeant's attention to try to see if she wanted her to do anything.

When presented with the equipment she gave it a quick glance over... she figured they'd sneak into the enemy camp and burn it down. Seemed obvious to her... why else would they have det packs and flamethrowers? As she had no training with either she opted to follow the major's instruction and just reached for a cloak lying on the edge of the crate. But just as she was about to grasp it it slipped onto the ground.
Looking up she met the gaze of a Unseen Son that gave her a shrug. She instinctively began looking towards Levi for support but thought the better of it. They'd latch onto that. Instead Tabitha wordlessly picked the cloak up from the ground and wrapped it around her shoulders.
Private Tabitha Maru - Lieutenant Yudel Eckhardt

Thanks to blinddeadmcjones for the avatar

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Mordian Characters:
Others: / / /

QuothTheRaven

Postby QuothTheRaven » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:37 pm

Savin ambles over to Tabitha, "First time in chameleoline, cheri? Try to move slow and smooth, give the pattern time to shift." She offers an encouraging smile then sees to her own kit.
Her longlas is assembled with the scope for medium range attached, and she stows it across her back. Then she buttons up her coat and activates the chameleoline cells, causing her to all but vanish except for the top of her face.
Next she sidles up to Cat, "How's it goin' stringbean?"

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 am

putting his lho away and following along with the others when the teams were split, levi mostly kept to himself as he tried to figure out how this would play out, on one hand him savin and tabi weren't exactly on the best of terms with the unseen sons -not that he was personally bothered by it- since the mad dash for a 'mystery package' that ended up costing them a truck, but on the other keegan seemed to be the pragmatic type and had both a plan and his mens welfare at heart, the deathworlder could respect that at least, that said he was unsure as to why the mordian was picked they weren't exactly known for being the stealthy type but he didn't dwell on it as he was brought out of his introspection at the mention of the det packs and heavy flamers.

"goody" slone remarked as he unfurled his own cameoline cloak and a kitbag, taking one det pack, and then another, and another, and another after that, putting the explosives all into his kitbag and separating the actual detonators into a pouch on his webbing, and only stopping when he had roughly half a dozen of each, plus one extra just in case.
looking at the heavy flamer the scout paused for a moment as he considered whether to grab it, ultimately he decided not to, suspecting that there was a decent chance of a battlesuit showing up again because 'of course they would show up again' knowing their luck.

all set and ready to go, levi hefted the kitbag onto his other shoulder and wrapped his cameoline around himself, he would've said something to tabi about the cloak but savin beat him to it, so he settled for his usual practice of smearing mud and dirt over his face, neck and other areas of exposed skin.

"don't stand so straight cat, you look like a scarecrow" he muttered as he he saw yorke put his cloak on
Last edited by blinddeadmcjones on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
guard characters: ///

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:53 am

As the officers final sorted themselves out Paxton stood up, put away the lighter and resumed his position and stance. He was a little sad to see the people he was at more familiar with leave to join the other group, he wouldn't be able to watch over them. Then again, it ment he wouldn't be distracted from his goal. It was a pity though that the obstacles to his goal hadn't been picked for the other group. No matter, he'd find a way.

As the other members of the group ask questions the Valhallan simply listened, smiling to himself. Good, a frontal assault, common place for an 'accident' to happen. And even better, mines and traps which an unfortunate fool can find himself caught in. If I'm close enough to him, I'll gladly steep on a mine if he does too...

For a moment, Paxton shot a glance at the surrounding members. What if he did do something like that? What would be lost if the attack failed? Two officers who are will to sacrifice there own men for glory, an nco who lives to be hate by guardsmen, a Krieger who seeks death?

No

He might seek vengeance, but not the unnecessary death of his fellow guardsmen. The ogryn, the tired looking one. Even the Krieger, he wouldn't forgive himself for causing any of their deaths. No, he would have to do it another way.
//