Out of the Frying Pan (Closed/PM to join)

The immediate area outside Naris Capitol city
User avatar
Fates End
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:00 am
Location: Deepest Darkest Montana

Postby Fates End » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:13 am

((congratulations, you have added a 3rd category to this outing. :D ))

Steel Legion Convoy (Joseph, Hat, #66)


Death came for the Tau. Death on a monumental scale and from an entirely unforseen quarter. The First Stealth Suit #66 targeted was already partially damaged from the battle it had been waging, and when her weapon's shells drove into it, power cells exploded in spectacular (and unfortunately lethal) fashion.

As Joseph and Hat crossed the distance, #66's advance showed no signs of stopping. Cutting down Fire Warriors and Pathfinders alike, as well as catching another Stealth suit and shredding the unfortunate soul within. Furthermore, as the Tau turned to face the new threat, the Leman Russ belched death from its sponsons and main cannon, gutting another Stealth Suit and mowing down the confused foes. The chimeras behind blazed their own trail of destruction with the mounted multilasers, filling the forest with a cacophony of death.

And just like that, the horrendous shattering sound of trees exploding and Tau suits crumpling was replaced with a dreadful stillness. What few Tau that remained alive in their gunline pulled back pell-mell in any direction to escape the hellfire leveled on them from two different directions. More of #66's shots and a few final bursts from the Leman Russ sponsons chased them off and claimed a few more lives for the Emperor's name, and then there was only the rumble of the convoy engines and the feint dying cries of stranded Tau remained.

Several weary, battered Steel Legionnaires slunk out from their cover and started mounting back up on the vehicles, preparing to move out.

Next to the lead tank, a bloody mess of a figure stood up from where she'd taken cover and checked the charge on her lasgun, looking over to Hat and Joseph a moment later and nodding approvingly. It was hard to make out most features, underneath the blood and dirt that covered the majority of her form. Two eyes with irises like black coals stared out from a blood-smeared face with an impassive expression for several precious seconds. And then, a smile with far too many teeth flashed across her face, "Fucking Savlar, it's good to see someone trustworthy in a place like this." There was no real visible rank or insignia on her, but that icy tone . . . the voice makes her out to be the Lieutenant you were speaking with on the Vox.

She stalked forward and clapped both Hat and Joseph on the back, leaving bloody smears on their clothing. "Welcome to the Hellborn, boy and girl. Though from the mess in the town ahead, ye may have joined up with the wrong group. We've got no way through if we're not allowed through there."

She spoke a few words into a mic (though you can't hear what she says over the Vox, she seems to be using a different channel for this conversation) and then stared hard at the two. "Glad as I am to see a friendly face, I'm guessing you're not here for hand-holding. What's your business here?"

((Firstly, Congratulations #66 on that monster of a roll. You have forced back all Hostiles in the area for several moments. No reaction rolls required at the moment, your victory was hilariously complete in this area. Joseph, Hat, due to #66's success you don't have to worry about return fire at the moment. Everyone that was going to shoot at you is super-duper dead. Also, you have met Lieutenant Yarrick and successfully linked up with the beleaguered forces. Careful or clever of 3 if you want to try and figure out what she said into her vox, otherwise no reaction rolls required.))



Advance Team (Halvus, Erika, as well as guest appearances from Lucan and Luca)


Giselle seemed to expect Halvus' reaction, and in fact her expression indicated she even welcomed it despite the pain brought as the weapon was twisted out of her hand. But then the Junior Commissar intervened and the moment reverted to something like peace. The Tau suits in the background shifted, their cloaked forms heard more than seen. But no gunfire erupted. She stared at Lucan with a befuddled expression, trying to understand his motives.

The elderly mayor glanced from the Junior Commissar to the Lieutenant, and then back again. Her mouth opened and closed several times, and finally she nodded, her gaze solidifying. "You told that column to try and pass through the spot in this village that you know has civilians," she hissed at Halvus. "I'd expect nothing less from you, Imperium. Begone, the lot of you. The Tau won't let that artillery piece pass through. Take what you have and go before they decide the entire thing isn't worth it anymore."

((Halvus, Lucan, Luca, no specific reaction rolls required at the moment. Act as you see fit))

As for Erika, she was met with a muffled agreement from Corporal Jackson and a guffaw of laughter from the Steel Legion Sergeant. "Aight girly," The man replied as he ran with his men. "I sorta figured I was in the line of fire. Seeing as the blue's are fuck'n everywhere in this town!" He gave a good-natured chortle. "But we're almost to the column and I don't see many other options for easy movement aside from this road. So we just keep running, yeah?"

To be honest, the Steel Legion prisoners were moving with the urgency of those who know that any moment could suddenly be filled with pulse-laser fire. And are just now reaching the edge of the village, with maybe a minute's run more or so to get to the retreating convoy. They are tired and clearly worn out, but terror and lack of weapons has a way giving even the most weary of soldiers an extra punch of adrenaline when they need it most.

((Erika, Tau units are moving and rearranging themselves behind you. They rolled a whopping total of 1 to do it stealthily. You'll need to beat that in Careful or Clever to see where they're going. No other reaction rolls required.))



The Relief Force (Lourn, Tick)


The relief column with the oh-so-juicy fuel truck in their midst are backing up from the village at a decent clip and pulling out of the killzone. Of course this also brings them closer to the rebels that they passed on the road earlier, and further away from the Steel Legionnaires trying to run along the open road . . . But it keeps the vehicles more out of harm's way.

((Lourn and Tick, Foes are moving around you and rolled extremely well to remain unseen. You'll need to beat a 6 in careful or clever to ascertain any threats to the column))
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement."

(Fates now has too many characters to link easily. Thus follow this handy link to my character thread and go wild.

blinddeadmcjones
Posts: 899
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 pm
Location: Australia

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Fri May 03, 2019 2:33 am

halvus didn't say a word when the commissar separated her and giselle, opting to stand there with a smirk on her face as she looked over the autopistol she had confiscated from the old woman, as malcom turned around to beckon to luca the lieutenant got the report that the tau were listening in on their comms from erika, and when giselle hissed her rebuke at halvus her grin got even wider as she slipped her powerfist back on

"oh my darling, you know nothing about what to expect from me, pale visor might, but even that is just scratching the surface" she replied in a cheery voice as she began to turn around before stopping, looking at the autopistol then ejecting both the magazine and the round in the chamber before crushing the weapon with her powerfist like an empty ration can.

"anyhoo, better luck next time, cheerio" following closely behind malcom halvus then keyed her vox

++copy that 316, all units switch to backup channel++ she switched over and waited for confirmation that everyone else had done the same ++hat have you and dear joseph made contact with the steel legion in the forest yet?++
guard characters: ///

User avatar
Hobbsy
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:16 am
Location: Palmiston North, New Zealand

Postby Hobbsy » Tue May 07, 2019 4:44 pm

As he kept his eyes on the enemy's position in case Hat and him were spotted, Joseph became mesmerized by the carnage which befell the xenos. There bodies simply degrade under the fire from #66 and the convoy. So distracting was the display of force that the Becaran literally also ran straight into a tree.

As the guns fell silent, Joseph's all out sprint slowed to a trot as he searched for the commander around the leading tank. Only to find the bloody figure who after a moment grinned like a child on Candlemas morning. That concerned Joseph. A smiling officer was usually a bad thing.

The Bacaran eased up though as she made her way over and greeted them. Apparently she like Savlars, which was nice for Hat. Not bring from Savlar himself, Joseph just smiled back and ignored the feeling of being out of place until she asked what they were here for. Joseph immediately snapped back to being aware of his give task, quickly pulling out the pin the Commissar had given him. "Our commissar gave me this and told me to show you it. I think it makes me a temporary officer? Anyway, we came here to help guide you to the fuel tanker and safely around this frakfest of a village. Honestly, the place is not only a death trap, but a propaganda mill. It's fill of all those sneaky suit fellas who eat tanks for breakfast and enough civilians and camera drones to turn the whole planet against us. There is that rear left corner of the village which the lieutenant mentioned which should be loyalist civis', but I'm sure the enemy can manoeuvre to still thump us with an extra chance of anti guard propaganda. Honestly, I would ever go with you earlier chose of finding a way around or Bush bashing around with your tanks. How possible is bush bashing in your mounts if we're guiding you?".

[[Roll to hear Yarraks' message. Roll=0+1 careful=1. Nothing heard.]]
//

User avatar
Warsmith Wolf
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:32 pm
Location: Nara, Japan
Contact:

Postby Warsmith Wolf » Fri May 10, 2019 12:27 am

Ferrum honore veniat.


User avatar
LaxKnight
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 pm
Location: United States

Postby LaxKnight » Fri May 10, 2019 12:38 am

They made it! And in one piece too! Hat’s sprint ended with her sliding behind a tree for cover around the tank. Her eyes darted around as she tried to catch her breath and make sure no one was going to hurt Joseph. Once the fire stopped and the combat seemed to have lulled Hat also emerged from her cover to run up and give Joseph a hug, glad that he’s alright. It was then that the muddied and bloodied figure greeted them, saying it was great to see someone trustworthy around. It took the officer giving them friendly pats on the back for Hat to realize that she was applying the label to her. This was probably the first time an officer was actually happy to see her, a Chem Dog, for something other than a body to either do grunt work or shielding, at least here on Valmaria. It at least seemed genuine. Hat had a general rule not to trust authority but that smile… the friendliness… perhaps she could make an exception? She was Steel Legion after all. Hat allowed herself a dumb smile of joy at the back pats.

When Lieutenant Yarrick spoke into the vox Hat was both on the same side of the speaker and close enough to hear what she said. Since it wasn’t her message to tell (plus she wasn’t quite sure why they were here anyway) she decided to let Joseph talk and think about what she just heard from the Lieutenant. At that moment her own vox chose to light up with Halvus asking if they made contact.

As ordered Hat switched her channel before replying quietly, ++Hat to Halvus, we found her, over.++

She didn't want to interrupt Joseph. As she spoke she looked down at her arm and saw blood. Her eyes widened. That wasn’t from her.

“Are you bleeding ma’am?” Hat asked, concerned.

[Rolling Careful 2 to figure out what’s being said]

[Total: 5]
Apparently, I made too many characters. Here they are:



User avatar
Johannes Wyss von Krieg
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:32 am
Location: Ramat-Gan, Israel

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Sun May 19, 2019 3:43 am

Counter-Roll the Tau's Sneaky Breeki
2+3(Careful) +1(Magnoculars) =6 TOTAL

During one of the stop-gaps, one of the Promethorans noticed a movement behind one of the installations atop the roofs behind them, a quick look by #8-316 confirmed the Tau are hot in pursuit, if not to directly attack then to get the best firing positions prior to the engagement. Untrained Human Militia provided a noticable detriment their Xeno masters' attempt at coverntness or swiftness which made them seen in the first place.

It will take time for the Tau to identify the backup vox channel but by no means it would make the current one useless, what may allow the scouts get 'Creative' with the truce wording they never heard.

So far, it was quite clear that no party inside the town harms the other. Unlike direct engagement, an indirect harm would give the Tau justification to break the agreement. But if the Tau know what their actions may bring, that's their doing not Imperial dishonesty.
A small wire here, a little weakening of the roofing there, a grenade rig at anouther place donated by the promethorans and so on and so on.
Yes, the fortification density dropped by 50% but they were no longer neccessary to protect against the now out of range stationary Xenos but instead against the pathfinders and militia after them, which with enough slowing down and circumvention can be outrun as well.

++#316 to Xeno hostage pursuing forces. Be advised, termination by traps set prior to ceasefire agreement will not violate said ceasefire. Proceed at own risk and agency.++


Planting Traps every 2nd stop instead of a barricade.
Rolling: 0 +3(Quick) = 3 TOTAL

Running as before
Rolling: -1 +3(Quick) =2 TOTAL

/

User avatar
Fates End
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:00 am
Location: Deepest Darkest Montana

Postby Fates End » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:07 am

The Relief Force (Lourn, Tick)


The relief column backs up out of the killzone with little issue, the chimera turrets twisting this way and that as the gunners realize how woefully exposed they are on the roadway. Too many angles of attack, too many points where a hidden foe could spring out. The entire roadway was starting to fill the Cadians with no small amount of dread.

((Lourn, Tick, Same as before, 6 in careful or clever to ascertain threats to the column))



Advance Team (Halvus, Erika, as well as guest appearances from Lucan and Luca)



The officers and their Lucifer Black guardian now have a predicament ahead of them. With the Tau in the village seeming to give chase to the fleeing Steel Legion Prisoners and #316's adhoc squad, that now squarely puts an unknown but presumably large force of opposition between the command element of the mission and the safety of the convoy. The elderly mayor and her Tau guardians haven't moved (though Giselle did stare morosely at the crushed autopistol). At least in any obvious fashion. The Stealth suits of course are problematic to track. But that likely does little to ease the minds of those three soldiers suddenly and acutely aware of just how alone in the village they are.

((Halvus, Lucan, Luca, no specific reactions required. Though it would be advisable to get out of dodge. If things turn violent, your group is in for perhaps a hilarious world of hurt. hilarious from the Tau's point of view, at least))

Erika's gambit meanwhile seems to be paying off, her keen eyes are able to make out the multiple squads of Fire Warriors following, along with several militia and Pathfinders dashing along the rooftops after her retreating flock. And at her warning via the Vox, a noticeable slowing of movement could be made out as the pursuing forces started to take more care giving chase. However, the frustrated and annoyed voice of the presumed Tau Commander snapped back across the vox ++#316, believe me. If one of my soldiers falls prey to your trap, I will take that as an act of aggression and treat it as such.++ It seems clear that the Tau commander is fed up with the situation, even if she seemingly got herself into it. And is now actively looking for any way to justifiably break the cease-fire she offered.

((Erika, you've spotted several squads of foes giving chase. Though less than there could have been, given your decoy actions. You've bought several seconds of time with your actions. And no reaction rolls are required at this time. If you choose to try and reach the convoy this round however, you will need a quick of 4 or better))



Steel Legion Convoy (Joseph, Hat, #66)

The bloody mess of a Lieutenant stared blankly at Hat for several seconds as the sickening "Thwack" sound of #66 driving an entrenching tool into a Tau's skull could be heard vaguely in the background. Finally she blinked, "Oh. It's---not my blood." She replied with perhaps a bit too much of a smile remaining. Her eyes were already darting over to Joseph's pin and his comment about being a temporary officer, and perhaps surprisingly she nodded gravely. "I understand it's a problem, to be sure. But believe me, trooper. If I could have bashed my way through these trees, I would not be stuck in this damned forest. We've got heavy Tau vehicles harassing our rear and we're out of most munitions that could clear a path. It's either forward or backward on this road. Or leave the vehicles behind and make a break through the woods." It was clear by her tone that leaving the vehicles was not actually an option that she or her forces had ever remotely considered. The seething nature of her words seemed to barely contain the hatred of that non-option.

"As to the village . . ." She looked ahead, at the slightly winding road with the vague outline of buildings visible through the trees. Her expression grew unreadable, though for just a second perhaps there was a flash of regret. "We'll have to just push through it." She finally stated. She waved at #66, even as several Steel Legionaries were staring at the Krieger with something like awe and horror combined. "Call over your servitor thing and let's get ready to move out. Mount up!"

((Hat, you heard a perhaps interesting tidbit when the Lieutenant spoke into her vox. "Fuck'en bee-ess that there's still civvies in that village. Mayor seems like a hag who keeps her word. Load Bellower with the last shells and get ready to burn that hellhole down once friend's are out."

Hat, Joseph, #66, No reaction rolls required at this moment. Act as you see fit.))
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement."

(Fates now has too many characters to link easily. Thus follow this handy link to my character thread and go wild.

User avatar
Hobbsy
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:16 am
Location: Palmiston North, New Zealand

Postby Hobbsy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:54 pm

//

User avatar
Warsmith Wolf
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:32 pm
Location: Nara, Japan
Contact:

Postby Warsmith Wolf » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:53 am

Ferrum honore veniat.


User avatar
Heart|Soul
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:08 pm
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Postby Heart|Soul » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Lourn scanned the area around the truck, seeing nothing.

((4u1 + 2 Clever = 2))

User avatar
Johannes Wyss von Krieg
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:32 am
Location: Ramat-Gan, Israel

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:07 pm

~35 Metres to the end of the Villiage, ~25 Metres from there to the Convoy, Just within reach.
~150 Metres behind them are the Xeno Forces, within Small Arms fire, slowed but still in pursuit.
The Kriegerin's calves were burning with overtaxed muscle flesh, her heart beat as if injected with triple dose of combat stimms, the respirator's internal cone separating fog-proof eye lenses from the breathing apparatus was practically dripping with vapours and the entire uniform beneath the armour turned a shade darker and became soggy and heavy with moisture. White and black sploshes crept on to the edges of the troopers' sights as exhaustion inevitably started to get the better of them after such an excruciating dash.

RUN FAST
1 +3(Quick) =4 TOTAL

Out of the village, the group of Steel Legionnaires followed closely by the Scout Team finally reached the Relief Column

"Tau. *huff* *huff* *wheeze* Infantry." The Kriegerin pointed towards the place they have come from told the Cadians "Water." and pointed at the Legionnaires.
With heavy but purposeful steps the Kreigerin entered the Chimera along with the Promethorans "Rest." she told them.

A hiss of air released from the respirator revealing the thoroughly reddened features of Erika which chugged straight from her canteen.

++Scout Formation to Halvus. Legionnaires Secured. Reached Objective. Be Advised: Xeno Infantry Formations in close vicinity, Xenos will actively invent justification to attack. Requesting Orders, Over.++ Hass spoke into the amplified vox.

/

blinddeadmcjones
Posts: 899
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 pm
Location: Australia

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:40 am

double timing it, halvus broke into a casual jog as she and the others sought to vacate the village, following the main road back towards friendly units, at least as far as the culvert she had used to gain entry into the village in the first place, which she promptly dived into as soon as she could.

++copy that, excellent work both of you++ she replied to hat and erika during her brief reprieve, before looking back and beckoning at luca and lucan to follow ++316, make sure no one among our units takes the bait, at least not yet++

once the commissar and lucifer black where in the culvert with her she set off into the woods ++hat, you remember the mention of phase 2 earlier? cos now would be a good time to put your talents to use in that forest++

--

much like erika the prometheron scouts were also feeling the toll of such heavy physical exertion in order to keep up with the krieger, however they didn't quite like the idea of resting, not when their superior officer had yet to return, that said they also knew they wouldn't do her or anyone much good trying to fight while exhausted, so they opted for a compromise, taking up a prone firing position facing the village and having a very quick sip from their canteens

[[Alric3022 rolls 4u1 = 0 +2 careful = 2]]
guard characters: ///

User avatar
LaxKnight
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 pm
Location: United States

Postby LaxKnight » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:13 am

Hat managed to hear what Lt Yarrick said over her vox but she didn’t react. She didn’t feel the need to intervene because she privately agreed. Death to the traitors! Let the Flame Lord judge them in His fiery wrath!

The Lieutenant looked at Hat as if she spoke High Gothic for a moment until she caught on and explained it wasn’t her blood. When she smiled Hat beamed and laughed like it was a great joke. If she wasn’t an officer she might have given her a pat on the back. She liked her, for an officer anyway. She then explained that she would have loved to bash their way through the trees but they were low on munitions. Saying this, she seemed determined to push through the village. As much as she would love to see that place leveled, Joseph was right. That place was crawling with Stealth Suits and Pathfinders so going through it was more of a trap than anything.

It was then that Hat’s vox bead lit up and Halvus gave her orders to “enact phase 2” and “do what she does best”. She wasn’t quite sure what phase 2 was but she was pretty sure it had something to do with burning the forest down. What confirmed it though was that she told her to do what she did best and any who knew Hat would know what she does best was burning things. A wicked, crazed smile crossed her lips as she replied, ++ Hat to Halvus, got it. Out.++

As much as Hat would love to throw firebombs around and watch it all burn she couldn’t be so indiscriminate this time. She didn’t want any of the Steel Legion to get hurt. It was then that an idea hit her.

“Excuse me ma’am, but… could we maybe burn our way through the forest?” she asked, “That village is crawling with Pathfinders and Stealth suits. I’ve seen the Pathfinders hiding on the rooftops! I got a lot of things that burn things, you probably have some flamers, and we got tanks. We could just burn a path through and go over it in the tanks unharmed. We could also do a firewall behind us with the people on foot so the Tau would have trouble following. Do you think it could be possible?”
Apparently, I made too many characters. Here they are:




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests