[SEMI-OPEN/PM] Cpt. Johannes Wyss, Office, 9453/554th Death Korps HQ

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:58 pm

"Entrance Granted"

This time, the layout of the office was much less stuffed with the desk completely clean save for the Laspistol which was put there mostly out of habit probably, combined with the bright lighting it gave off as a rather cozy atmosphere compared to the depressing mood of the rest of the Compound.
The occupant of the room, namely the unmasked Hauptmann #9453/1-101 was standing by a kettle in its corner with 2 cups of steaming water "Greetings Sister Valentine. Pardon me for the simple beverage but I don't know your preferred one, resulting in the primary component of water becoming the only one." As much as possibly warm Kriegsmen can be apparently. He placed one cup on the table, at the Hospitallier's side and reach. "Thank you for arriving so soon, we have one more person to wait for and the briefing can begin."

/

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:55 pm

In complete contrast to the gloomy underground, the office could be considered cozy, if Mari ever knew of such a thing. Sororitas were pious so, while afforded the best of the best, such things were shunned. The only comfort they needed was given by the God-Emperor's love and service to Him. She was surprised that a Krieg soldier would indulge in trying to make his office comfortable.

Captain Wyss greeted her with a kettle and some cups. Mari reciprocated with a small bow. "Water will be fine, thank you," she replied as she took an offered cup. It was hot, a strange way to offer simple water. She refrained from sipping it, for now, to let it cool.

"Of course. To be personally summoned, especially by the Krieg, demands nothing less," she said, "Though I must admit, it was never explained to me why."

She looked at him, her turquoise eyes asking the unspoken question.
Apparently, I made too many characters. Here they are:

Fates End

Postby Fates End » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:22 am

There was a sharp knock the Captain Wyss's door. Three brief strikes and then silence. Medicae December Dryden had been ordered to the captain's office as soon as she was off guard rotation. And now stood waiting on the other side, unsure of why exactly the captain had requested her.

But then, Krieg officers rarely sent explanations along with their orders.
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement."

(Fates now has too many characters to link easily. Thus follow this handy link to my character thread and go wild.

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:34 am

Interactions between the Imperial Guard and Sisters of Battle were rather... Tenous at best. Such different views and conduct obviously led to disconnection and hardship in proper communication, as one saw everyone but them as potential Heretics and the other is rather disillusioned with Zealotry. It is quite apparent that imperial guard commanders are not trained enough for proper interaction. With the desired effect not being reached, interaction manner will default to the one delivering information with as little fanfare or "Luxury" as possible.

Before the Hauptmann could answer the Hospitallier's Question the next member of this conversation arrived. Good, he won't have to explain the same thing twice.

"Entrance Granted" #1-101 answered the knocks and removed a file from his small library and placed it on the table along with the 2nd cup of water on the Medicae's side. The expression and demeanour of the Unit shifted to resemble the Typical, Impassive Krieg Behaviour adjusted to the Hospitallier's expressions; making her further uncomfortable was not the desired effect.

[[OOC: Fates' Entry Goes Here]]

"Purpose of summoning: validation of sufficient grounds prior to investigation and notification to Regimental Commissariat.
Subject: Line Unit #28-D-0715, designated #5001-214 for company use; displayed erratic and Violent behaviour during Medicae Incident likely possesses a mutation leading to changing eye colour and according to the unit itself: Result of failure of fully reverting to Units previous mindset during reinduction to the Korp. Heavy Redaction in personal file.
Primary Query: Are these phenomenons connected?
Additional Queries: Was there a trigger to this behaviour in psychological or mutagenic form? Is this trigger present on base, potentially causing further incidents?
Connection to summoned individuals: Hospitallier Unit Valentine; primary witness. Was there a shift in eye colour or other visible changes prior to outburst?
Medicae Unit Dryden; Redacted Records in personal file, are the described phenomenons reminiscent or similar to the redacted events?"

/

Fates End

Postby Fates End » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:24 am

December entered the room and saluted the captain sharply, coming to attention with a soft "thud" of her boots snapping together. She spared a glance around the office, confused slightly by the sheer amount of books filling the offices. Had she entered a repurposed library by mistake?

And then the hospitaller filled her vision, and December felt a vague sense of relief that she wasn't alone with the captain. As "Proper" Kriegers went, she very much doubted if any of her tight-knit unit counted, anymore. But with a non-Krieger in the room, perhaps it would be enough to distract the Captain from noticing too much. She gave the other woman a solemn nod as she drew up beside her, leaving a wary distance between both the holy Sister and the officer out of habit, if nothing else. And then she waited. She was very good, at waiting. One might even call it a hobby of hers.

As soon as the man started speaking, her eyes glazed over slightly.

What in the world is he talking about? Oh-----oh hell. The medicae incident

The Medicae was suddenly glad for the mask and helmet she'd not been ordered to take off, yet. It was an eternally useful tool both on the battlefield and in situations such as this, where she preferred her emotions hidden. He wanted information, suspecting---some sort of medical cause for Drocol's actions? She was hardly qualified to give such an answer, though perhaps the Hospitaller would provide a better response and knowledge base.

But then a mention of her redacted files, and a cold dread filled December's heart. Could he have read-----no, of course not. He was asking about her file, which meant he didn't "know" what was in it. But was merely probing for information. All December had to do in this situation, then. Was play the good and dutiful soldier. "Captain, my history is redacted by the Holy Inquisition itself. I cannot divulge any details, even if they possibly could aid your query." She responded simply, trying her best to keep her voice level and without emotion.

(Fates now has too many characters to link easily. Thus follow this handy link to my character thread and go wild.

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:40 am

There were some knocks on the door and Mari turned to see another Krieg soldier walk in. She managed to spy a medical kit on them. She can vaguely recall seeing another Krieg during the Medicae incident helping others in the background. Perhaps this was them? She returned the Medicae’s nod then turned to the Captain, curious what this could all be about. His demeanor shifted to be more like what people would imagine the typical Krieg soldier would adopt. They're truly a strange breed. She listened to what he had to say.

She wasn't quite sure what he was talking about initially. She rarely saw Krieg to begin with; knowing who was what number was beyond her. He spoke of the Medicae Incident, the likely but unwanted reason she figured she was here, but he spoke of changing eye color she knew exactly who he was talking about. It could be no one else but Drocol. She listened with much more attentiveness now. Apparently, they were called to see if this eye changing thing was a mutation or something else. She was called as a witness.

Mari never lost interest in the nature of Drocol's eye changing. It was a phenomenon she's seen a few times but not since the Tribunal. She always meant to investigate it, it was the job of a Sororitas to weed out heretics and mutants, but other duties have kept her. Now was her chance. She waited for the other Medicae to speak. A female voice spoke from her respirator, saying that the information he was asking for was locked behind the seal of the Inquisition and can’t speak of it. Mari nodded in understanding. She too had secrets that the Holy Inquisition wouldn’t allow her to share. She doubted that this Krieg would have the same amount of pride she had in hers though. Confident that the other was done, Mari began speaking.

"It's rare to see Krieg soldiers in Medicae and in the Chapel, Captain, so I can't say anything prior to the incident," she said, "However, I have seen his eyes change three times. Once before he fired upon me, again afterward, and finally at the Tribunal."

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:21 pm

The Amount of restricted information per square meter in this room would make even a Dark Angel Marine blush. In fact, all three of the room's occupants had things the Big "I" told them not to speak of. An uneasy situation, not rare but disappointing all the same.

"Understandable. Unless you wish to take part in the investigation; you are dismissed."
The Hauptmann replied to Dryden with no hint of blame.

The Hospitallier's witness sheds new insight over this phenomenon. 3 confirmed sights; 2 of which happened during the incident itself, and the 3rd he saw with his own eyes. Maybe there were more repeats of this behaviour but never caused problems?

"Then a Connection exists, Sufficient to launch an investigation."

The Hauptmann turned back to the desk and placed upon it a file removed from a nearby shelf. It carried the Unit's two Numbers on the cover and the insides held its history but no answers. #1-101 opened the Document and moved through the pages; all with noticeable meddling and redaction apparently signed by the Inquisition concealing any tangible facts.
"Unit #224 is no ordinary one. Original Regiment, '707th Death Korps' is still MIA in the Valmarian Northren Pole. Thus, no data prior to integration into the 554th Death Korps is available. The Unit was transferred into the Company Under my command after the Incident so this phenomenon was unknown to me until the Tribunal.
Suggested course of action: At first priority, Maintain close observation. 2nd priority to subtly expose to different conditions in safe environments to trigger the phenomenon."

/

Fates End

Postby Fates End » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 pm

December felt a wave of relief wash over her. She wasn't needed. Hell, maybe she wasn't even wanted. Maybe, just maybe, having a redacted file wasn't always a bad thing.

She saluted sharply, "Yes sir. Thank you sir." The words sounded hollow, through her mask. But wasn't that how Kriegers were supposed to sound? With a swift about-face, she headed back out of the office.

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:26 am

Mari couldn't really fault the Krieg soldier for not wanting to participate. Krieg soldiers may have been trained and possibly bred to nothing but tools but, deny it as much as they want, they were still human. Knowing that a comrade could be a vile mutant was something many struggled to come to terms with. Proving that there was a mutant that came from the Krieg, known for their stringent vetting and training processes, would raise many questions and implication on what exactly on the Death World and likely draw the eyes of the Inquisition even. It could cause issues inside the Krieg regiment that even their disregard for their own humanity can't resolve. She didn't even want to imagine what would happen if this information was released beyond the regiment to those who already distrusted them. Before the Medicae left, Mari said to her, "Don't tell anyone what was spoke here."

The Hospitaller then focused her attention on the Captain. Listening to him was like listening to a cogitator spitting out numbers. Thankfully for them all, she's been around enough machines to not be deterred by his rhetoric. She nodded in agreement as she picked up his medical file, hoping she might be able to glean something from it. "I would like to add an addendum to that list," she said, "I think that before we start exposing him to anything we should collect a blood sample to be tested. I can't take it for he might be uncooperative and could raise suspicion. I also suggest we keep this on a need to know basis. There could be unseen and possibly grave consequences if anything gets out."

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:12 am

Hauptmann #1-101 was unconcerned with Medicae Dryden possibly telling Regimental Command, the 19/544th were highly secretive even after their integration and interactions between them and the regiment at large were even fewer than the 9453rd's and in contrast, voluntarily. Perhaps they are afraid to be labelled Defective as well? Most likely.

The Krieger raised his eyebrow, imitating the quizzed looks often made by non-Kriegers. "Obviously, it is part of the Observation. As for exposing, it may be possible the Unit contacted some sort of mutagen or other Agent present on base, stated before. The Blame or even knowledge on his condition may be non-existent but the possibility exists. In truth, I did attempt to contact Metasurgeon Cheslock to provide the best quality samples and their analysis but she is preoccupied with nursing the 653rd Prometheron back to health after they attempted a suicide charge, unsupported." The last words were laden (as much as a krieger can pull off) with distastefulness, as if the Kriegsman standing before you actually appreciates strategy. Perhaps the actual unsettling fact was not that the Krieger used monotone but could use regular speech but usually deciding against for the sake of efficiency.

"Do not be alarmed, this research will remain confidential until its conclusion or when required commissariat assistance. If informed, the 554th may overreact and condemn #224 to final dispensation without searching for a reason or even the entire 707th as defectives without their side being heard, though Commissar Wittmann must be notified to some extent to provide assistance should regimental command decide to intervene. I will attempt to secure any resources needed for the investigation with the company under my command." #1-101 calmly explained.
It is clear he's adjusting his speech patterns according to the situation, information he tries to convey and the participants of the conversation, perhaps on purpose? Probing for the optimal approach for conversation?

/

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:04 am

Mari listened more to what the Captain had to say. Yes, Cheslock would be a good pick to produce and analyze the sample but was a bit surprised to hear the distaste in his voice when he mentioned an unsupported suicide charge. The Krieg were famous were famous for almost needlessly throwing bodies at a problem until it's defeated, not caring for the lives lost. She figured his distaste was likely in the fact that it was unsupported. Bodies didn't matter to Krieg, she had first-hand experience with this, it was efficiency.

He then continued to reassure her that this conversation would remain confidential with the only foreseen addition being their Commissar. She nodded, it made sense but she wasn't sure if his disposition would be theirs or more like what the Captain described those of the 554th. He then also mentioned that he will secure anything else they would need. The change in speech pattern from practically servitor to it's current more natural inflection was not lost on her but she boiled it down to a quirk he likely developed from being around those who weren't Krieg. If speaking to each other like servitors are how they usually talk, he would have been forced to adapt to more effectively communicate to others. Whether he did so effectively is a different question.

"I think the more difficult part would be trying to maintain surveillance on Drocol without raising alarm. I am not suited for such due to my status and the rest of the medicae staff are understandably not keen on pairing me up with him. Your position isn't optimal for observation, at least not close observation," she paused, "Do you have any recommendations for someone who would be up to it?

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:26 am

"The Unit is under the process of re-training as integration into the company and its doctrine. Close observations are already conducted by its Watchmaster and covertly by its Squad"

He Paused for a moment, as if weighting the options before him before proceeding
"A Possible Candidate can be #9453/8-316. It has significantly more personality compared to the Krieg Standard not unlike the specimen and there is already an established connection between the two to allow for covert observation. Anouther Candidate can be Confessor von Smitt: Has understanding of psychology, worked alongside Kriegers before and already established a connection aswell based on the Unit's visits to the confessional."

/

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:52 am

Mari nodded as she took in the information. It was to should be expected after such an incident that caused her, daughter of the God-Emperor, to lose her limbs, again. However, his final comments were interesting. She was mildly surprised Krieg went to church but suggesting the Confessor made perfect sense to her. He was in a position to know his deepest thoughts and, while not knowing him through any means but reputation, had no means to doubt the commitment and honesty of another servant of the God-Emperor. Then there was that other Krieg soldier, or at least she assumed. The numbers meant nothing to her, not so much that they were numbers, not names, but more because she knew next to no Krieg. Apparently, it has 'personality' and connected to Drocol in some way. Very interesting. "The Confessor makes sense but this other soldier, what do you mean connection? Personality? In what nature?" she asked.

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:45 am

Was it wise to expose Unit 9453/8-316 to a Hospitallier with a direct agenda to prove Kreigers can be treated like humans?
It concerned a much wider investigation, the Hospitallier's agenda does not matter.

"Scout Unit #316 is known to express a wider emotional spectrum. Tolerated by remaining efficient. It developed what may be considered 'Personality'. The Connection in question is akin to 'Friendship' -though the Defective Unit harmed this connection on its own volition during the late Candlemas Affair. I am currently using this Unit as a Carrot for the Defective's re-training, it must meet a certain standard before allowed to see #316."

/

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:29 am

This was incredibly interesting information. All the Captain was speaking was normal for most but he spoke of friendship, personality, and connections as if it were the plague. Then this person had a relationship with Drocol. Who would have thought Drocol, let alone Krieg, were capable of such? The God-Emperor worked in mysterious ways. Something to be contemplated later though, Mari had her duty to do. The Krieg Captain could spot her surprise from the information only to quickly turn into that of thoughtfulness. "Has Drocol tried to mend the relationship in any way?" she asked.

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:57 am

Friendship is not much of a plague but a tool. It is a link created between 2 individuals. Each participant in this link had to give a certain amount of energy to maintain it. This Tool can be beneficial if the energy gained for each unit is greater than spent on maintenance, a bad example of this link is when it helps no one.

"Negative. He had the opportunity to pursue Unit #316 and explain his actions on site. The Defective has yet to achieve the stage in the retraining that allows for another meeting with #316."
The Hauptmann answered

/

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:56 am

Mari remained objective as she thought some more. "If you are using this... #316 as a carrot for Drocol and he damaged their relationship, then assigning them to watch him would force her to make contact with him, which would be suspicious since he damaged their relationship and hasn't tried to make amends," she said, "Plus, if they were really that close then it is possible that it could backfire and they'll expose us. I guess that leaves the Confessor as our best option."

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:04 am

"The Defective was not given anouther chance to make amends, this is why the Confessor is required to verify if the Use of #316 is practical."
Did she... did she just suggested a Krieger will betray their mission? While it is true #316 is a rather unconventional Unit, it is still a Kreig Unit.
"Unit #316 is a Krieger despite its oddities. Kriegers don't betray their mission."
"Securing the Confessor's assistance is at first priority. Who should approach him?"

/

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:15 am

As she expected, the Captain didn't seem to take too kindly to the suggestion that one of his men could give them away. Mari didn't blame him and at one point she would have agreed. However, being shot by the madman they were discussing now, a Krieg soldier, taught her that no one was above suspicion nor betrayal except her fellow Sisters. The only response she gave him to his comment how Krieg don't betray their mission was a small, unbelieving shake of the head. Anything more would likely envoke an argument which they didn't need right now. He called upon her and their investigation came first.

They did come to a conclusion about the Confessor but he did bring up a good point. Who should talk to him? While a Hospitaller talking to a Confessor wasn't unusual at all, she wasn't sure if he would agree if she asked. It would likely carry more weight if it came from the Captain but a Krieg approaching a Confessor for something she believed would raise some flags. Mari thought for a moment before saying, "I'll approach him. I'll tell him what we saw and our concerns. He should be obligated as a Confessor to help but I'll also tell him it was also your idea so it doesn't seem like I'm after revenge," she paused, "If he still has doubts, then you should approach him."

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:42 am

"The Plan is Sufficient" Concluded the Hauptmann. "You will approach the Confessor and I will approach Commissar Wittmann to minimise outside interference. Any further Planning will require these 2 stages' results first"

/