[OPEN] Medicae Ward

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 am

Commissar Cat wrote:
Warsmith Wolf wrote:"He who is untouched in form may still be marked in spirit, for Doubt and Fear are as much the enemy's tools as the bullet and blade." Nathaniel knelt, so as not to stand taller than his seated counterpart. "And thus, here you are. What ails you, my brother? "

"..." Yorke began to regret not just simply taking himself to bed at the officer's barracks and Holt's orders be damned.
He settled his eyes on Nathaniel's and for a long moment, a glimpse of the confusion, fatigue, and something that lurked a little deeper swam at the back of Cat's expression. Fear? Guilt? Some hideous child of both, potentially.

And in that moment, the commissar felt almost compelled to explain.
But the moment broke with some sound or other from nearby, a clatter of tools, or slam of boot on a door frame.
And so he didn't. Not that he necessarily could've.

Instead he looked away, a flicker of frustration on his face at the attention, "I am only bruised and burned, sir. I was sent here because I shouted at the senior commissar."
"Yeah you did!" a cheerful Unseen Son paused on her way past, and then scuttled quickly away before the two men could pay full attention.
"He deemed me addled. But I also worry for some of our own, I haven't seen them come in." Yorke attempted to deflect the subject once more, as he glanced around for Dryden, Cat realised he also hadn't seen Halvus enter or leave, "Who was it you came here to administer to? Has someone passed into His light?".

"no one has passed anywhere" interrupted the synthesized voice of metasurgeon cheslock, who came over after organsing treatment for the more greviously injured "and no one needs to be dead or dying for there to be a priest present raymond" almost immediately her auspexes and scanners went to work on the commissar without her customary pause to inform the patient, the speed at which they worked at seemed to suggest that the Metasurgeon was mildly annoyed

--

as halvus lay in silence and mari, maru and the orderlies got to work a servo skull floated over and began monitoring the lieutenants vital signs, periodically the drone would move to a new poition and adjust the angle at which it scanned from while the humans worked, before long it started to make a beeping noise when the orderlies were removing the chest plate of her flak armour

++caution, preliminary scans suggest unit ribcage has suffered fractures, addendum: heart rate dropping, likelihood of cardiac arrest heightened++ it started beeping even louder twenty seconds later ++warning! warning! heart rate has ceased, unit has gone into cardiac arrest, immediate action required++

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 am

Mari was ordering a orderly to get some skin graft material when the skull sounded its warning. Her head instantly whipped around to see her patient going into cardiac arrest.

“Everyone get back!” she yelled at no one in particular. She reached into her belt and pulled out a strange vial as she moved to Halvus’ left.

“You two. Strap her down,” She ordered as she pressed a button and a long but thin needle popped out of the end of it. It’s been awhile since she had to do this but no one forgets any time they had to administer adrenaline like this. Making sure the space was clear and that the orderlies were down strapping down her wrists and ankles, she the adrenaline shot with two hands.

“Dear God-Emperor, you have taken your servant to be judged by you,” the Hospitaller began as she heaved up the shot, “Please have her judged worthy of returning to us!”

With that, Mari spiked it into Halvus’ heart.

“Amen!” she said as it automatically delivered its payload. Hopefully this worked.
Apparently, I made too many characters. Here they are:

LaxKnight's Character Hub
Order of the Shed Tear

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:37 am

a split second after the shot was administered halvus' body sprung into action, inhaling loudly and letting out a strangled cry as her back arched and her upper torso lifted off of the gurney her limbs had been tied to, for all present in the medicae it either looked like a corpse had just been reanimated, or an exorcism was taking place. after a few seconds the lieutenants body seemed to relax back down, taking slow and steady breaths as blood trickled out of one nostril

"...this isn't the throne room" she eventually muttered, her eyes looking around and taking in her surroundings "I could've sworn I was looking at the eternity gate...I was expecting it to be a bit...y'know..bigger.."

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:19 am

Mari smiled as she watched Halvus almost literally come back to life.

“Praise the God-Emperor!” she exclaimed as she settled back down.

After Halvus spoke the Hospitaller put a gentle hand on her chest.

“He has more plans for you here, Halvus,” Mari gave her a gentle smile before she grabbed the shot, braced her hand on her chest, and pulled out the needle. She handed it to a waiting orderly and put a quick bandage over the injection point. At that point the orderly with the blood pack returned and Mari did a quick scan with her diagnoster to find a vein before grabbing the Lieutenant’s wrist to stop any struggle and inserted the needle.

“Relax, Lieutenant. You’re going to be here for a while,” Mari said then gestured to the Cadian, “Fear not for your gear either, this Cadian has gathered it for you.”

Order of the Shed Tear

Hobbsy

Postby Hobbsy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 am

Joseph, who had almost managed to fall asleep, jolted at the sudden and most unnerving cry. Eyes snapping wide open, his pupils darted around for a moment. As the sound died away, the Bacaran began to mutter a prayer under his breath. If that was a person, Emperor be with them and bless them. If it wasn't, Emperor protect them all.

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:28 pm

When the hospitaller had told her to, Tabitha had backed away and then stood there basically mesmerized when she had brought out the device and used some rite to bring Halvus' back to life. There were many strange things that the red priests had gifted to the emperor's people and this one seemed to be one of the most mysterious to the young cadian.

That did not make it any less miraculous to see the lieutenant return from the gates of death. Clearly it was as the sister decreed that it was one of the Emperor's miracles. She was blessed to have witnessed something like this.

When the hospitaller told the lieutenant about her gear, it took a moment before she realised they were talking about her and then all she could do was nod sheepishly.
Private Tabitha Maru Image Image - Lieutenant Yudel Eckhardt

Character sheets

Thanks to blinddeadmcjones for the avatar

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:07 am

"That's a relief." Cat murmured, "Second Sons were leading, and their reputation has never been one of concern for our own casualties."
Cheslocks initial scan revealed that Yorke was telling the truth and not minimising his problems. Despite his bionic arm being blasted by the Crisis suit weapon, his only real injuries were tissue trauma and burns caused by conductive heat to his shoulder. It was possible that any embedded pins, socket and deeper metalwork were also suffering from heat damage, but without total disassembly amid the chaos, it was not this afternoon's problem.
"Was trying to get out of the way for once, I skidded on the parapet. Filthy weather and old boots on flagstones." Yorke was watching the door again rather than looking fully at either the priest or Cheslock.

His heart rate and related readings were fairly typical for someone going through the aftermath of combat stress, the only real irregularity being the amount of time passed since.
Still taking treatments for his eye and actually attending PT, Yorke for once came across as pretty damn healthy compared to the average patient.
It did seem the commissar was indeed here due to being scolded rather than immediate medical necessity.

Ollie saw that Thea was given her drip to hydrate, and that her armour was stowed safely in a Medicae locker, the nurse returning the key to her for reassurance.
"Miss. If you are in significant discomfort, or begin to feel feverish, immediately inform someone. Severe pain is a sign that something is going wrong. Do not 'tough it out' or whatever the guard motto is. Please."
His voice sounded almost concerned, before he departed.

Ollie moved along to the next bed, and found Krast still waiting, still bleeding and mumbling. Checking the Cadian's ID, he sent Nurse Joy for a small amount of compatible blood, and some generic plasma.
However something about Krast's breathing and his pupils told the Techpriest that he had taken something very potent. That made things complicated.

Using his ungloved hand, Ollie reached and took Krast's wrist on his uninjured side. Noticing the clammy skin, he took the man's pulse the old fashioned way, allowing Ollie to feel the strength of his heart beat as much as the rhythm. It was still hammering and erratic.
"Can you please tell me what you took, sir? Do you still have the container?" he spoke softly, "You are not in any danger of punishment, but we can't give you more drugs or stop the bleeding if we don't know what is already in your system."

Mari was still dealing with the Lieutenant, and Ollie suspected that the Cadian would be less likely to answer honestly to a Sister. He cast his gaze around the area, "Metasurgeon?"

==++ [Private FAO; Metasurgeon Cheslock re. Krag R Krast]:
Patient status: Unstable. Free bleeding from plasma burst weaponry.
Immediate issue: Has taken unregulated "stims", still present in his system. No substance analysis, unequipped to perform such.

Cannot proceed with treatment without doing harm. Untrained to administer counter measures. Please advise or attend when possible.

#0LL-13 ++==

The infoburst was short and discrete, though a little less formal than typical guard communication. Ollie was out of practise.

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:34 am

"Won't go far" halvus replied, grimacing slightly as the syringe was removed before giving a grin at her own joke.

upon receiving the message from ollie, cheslock immediately knew what to do "indeed, well the only thing damaged appears to be the bionic" she told yorke as she sent a return message to the other tech priest

==++ Reply[Private FAO; Metasurgeon Cheslock re. Krag R Krast]:
solution: we swap patients, subject yorkes bionic is well outside my field of expertise++==

without another word the metasurgeon moved away from yorke and towards krast, pausing to speak to an orderly "please grab a dose of detox and a bucket" she said before continuing on only to stop again in front of Maru
"while it is ok to stow her armour here, weapons need to be checked into the locker at the entrance."

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Thea gave an appreciative nod to Ollie as he gave her the key. She gave a small chuckle at the disdain for toughing something out.

"I will, thanks," she said before he left. Once he did she sighed, "Hopefully I won't be here too long," before closing her eyes to get some well deserved rest.

----

Mari finished putting in the other bag of fluids in Halvus’ arm before she injected some antibiotics into the fluid bag then looked over Halvus again. Progress, but still lots of work. She's going to be here a while.

“You have a few third degree burns. I’m going to need to clean them out and it’s going to feel uncomfortable at the least,” she said, “You might have to be sedated. Do you want to now or until necessary?”

Order of the Shed Tear

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:49 am

still somewhat addled by the experience, it took halvus a minute or two to think about the choices offered.

"wait until it's necessary" she replied, her voice having a groggy edge to it "if at all, a little clean doesn't sound like much to warrant sedatives..."

[[Alric3749: halvus being clever
Alric3749 rolls 4u1 = -3 +2 clever = -1
Alric3749: oh dear..]]

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:19 pm

==++ Re:[Private FAO; Metasurgeon Cheslock re. Krag R Krast]:
Solution largely acceptable.
Adjustment: Place a bucket over Yorke's head so he falls asleep, I observe the procedure with Krast. ++==

Ollie if glanced at, was observing the ceiling. His disinterest in dealing with the commissar was perhaps a little petty, but at the moment he was more likely to scold Yorke than show any kind of sympathy.

Cat smiled tiredly and nodded as Cheslock moved away. For once it seemed he hadn't made more work for the medical team.
He continued to lean back in the seat and cast his eyes around for folk he hadn't seen yet make it in from the combat.

Fates End

Postby Fates End » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:28 am

it was in the rush and bustle of the medicae Ward that December found herself edging closer to Cat, bandaging and working her way along through various stages of wounded guardsmen. The Techpriest didn't seem terribly hurried to get to the Commissar . . . so she might as well, yes?

It was a lie, of course. His wounds were mostly bionic damage, something she could barely do anything about aside from make sure it hadn't damaged the skin it was grafted into.

Rather, was it due to her confusion as to what he'd been playing at out there? She was confounded, curious as well. But . . . no, it wasn't just that either. Something a bit simpler played though her head as the much shorter Medicae walked up to the lanky Commissar and nodded simply. "Commissar, are you hurt anywhere else? I can't treat the bionic, but any other wounds I can see too." It was largely a superficial question, she'd already seen the majority of the damage done to him and knew for the most part what his answer would be. A pretense to get within talking distance.

But now she balked, realizing that she didn't know much about him. Emotions . . . would get her killed. She remembered one of her fellows telling her that. She should just accept whatever answer he was about to throw at her and walk away. She really should. Her mouth half-opened, her face solemn and oddly askew due to the bloodied bandage over one side of her face. Her visible eye though . . . from the cool brown depths a question desperately wanted to be given voice.

Warring voices inside her silenced the question swiftly, however. And she settled for a simple phrase and the barest ghost of a smile, something she rarely graced anyone with outside of the Death Korps. Beautiful and heartfelt, for a moment her face sparked with gratitude. "Thank you, Commissar. For saving my life."
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement."

(Fates now has too many characters to link easily. Thus follow this handy link to my character thread and go wild. Character List of Doom

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:21 am

Judging from how long it took her to think about it and how groggy Halvus’ voice was Mari came to the conclusion that she probably wasn’t in a stable enough mindstate to make a decision like this. She should have probably put her to sleep anyway but she needed to make most of whatever supplies they had and she did just inject her with adrenaline. Didn’t want to put her body into shock from not only so many drugs but giving her a downer soon after an upper.

“Very well then. It’s probably going to hurt so tell me if you feel something. Try and relax,” Mari said as she injected some painkiller in the fluid bag.

With that, the Hospitaller began getting to work, taking out a scalpel and began removing chunks deep into Halvus’ dead skin. Thanks to all the dead nerves, Halvus might have felt perhaps some mild discomfort if she felt anything through the painkillers.

Order of the Shed Tear

CyGamer

Postby CyGamer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:30 am

Krast had laid on the gurney for a while, doing his best to slow the bleeding, but it just kept coming. By now his hands were slick with it, and it felt really cold. Maybe if he could start a small fire he’d warm up. Wait no, he was in the medicae, they didn’t like fires or him smoking.

As his mind started to wander, he saw a bright red shape appear over him. Was he dying? Wasn’t it suppose to be a big golden figure? Then he heard the figure speak. Substance? He smoked from time to time.

“I...sometimes smoke Iho...some of it’s not legal..” Hebroke out in a fit of coughing, a bit of blood spitting out with it.”Ah...doc I’m not feeling so hot...don’t take any stimms from Ema...that Mordian girl...”

He then say another person move up, and call for a bucket. A bucket?
Cy Character Chart
Who says the future has to be grimdark? Matt Ward that's who.

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:51 am

==++ Reply[Private FAO; Metasurgeon Cheslock re. Rayond Yorke]:i would oblige but buckets are in short supply++==

Cheslocks eyes widened behind her helm as she saw the state krast was in, she didn't need an auspex scan to see that he was not in a good way and wouldn't last long if intervention was not immediate

"get me two bags of blood from storage, and some bandages" she responded curtly to Ollie, snatching the cadians ident tags up and handing them over "his blood type will be on these" immediately she put a compress in place on his side and improvised a tourniquet, one of her 'dendrites wrapping around the bleeding limb and squeezing tightly while her other bionics wrapped around krasts abdomen in the same fashion, also rotating the man onto his side in the process.

as she did this, the metasurgeon combed through the medical database via noosphere, trying to find this 'mordian ema' that krast had mentioned while accepting the detox shot and bucket from the orderly. without explaining she jabbed the shot into krasts other shoulder, held the bucket level with his mouth, and waited.

--

the lieutenant just lay there as the hospitaller got to work, if she was experiencing any discomfort she wasn't showing it for the most part, at least until she saw the scalpel come close to the bandage she had improvised out of her house scarf "don't cut the scarf..." she muttered, her voice sounding slightly defensive

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:01 pm

Nurse Joy returned to Ollie and Cheslock with the requested blood and plasma, shortly after the Metasurgeon spoke.
"That was the only part I could safely assume was definite." the techpriest nodded and stepped back out of the way to allow the nurse and Cheslock to work.

"Ema would be one of the 183rd, under-" Ollie turned his head once more to sight Yorke with his optics, "-well, Captain Francis Gaskell primarily. Mordian being a hive planet, the stim is likely a home-brewed drug, not a sanctioned one. I am unaware of any reason that stims would be handed out to the 183rd by Gaskell. I imagine he is similarly unaware."
There was no judgemental tone in his words, but a slight distracted flicker across the Ollie's mechadendrites as he came to the conclusion.

Otherwise he simply observed, storing away the information in case times should become so dire that he was called upon to use it.

"I..." Yorke appeared startled by December speaking to him, his face clearly lagging behind the complicated mental gymnastics of the question and then the medic's gratitude.
The commissar regarded her with a special brand of bewilderment as he was caught off guard, "That's... "I couldn't have watched you die."
Cheslock and the priest he could lie to, or rely on them being too busy to investigate.
But Dryden had seen what had happened. Seen his reaction.

But why was she still standing herself? That registered as odd to Cat as well. He'd seen her get hurt. The confidence with which the medic now acted confused him. Perhaps he'd been in the waiting room purgatory for so long that she'd been seen to? The tinny buzz of the room seemed thicker, now. He'd managed to ignore it mostly.

"Something's not right." he raised his head a little to look at December fully, and just about trusting himself to do so, cautiously took the medic's hand and placed it to where one would expect to take a pulse on a patient's throat.
Despite it being a good hour or more since the incident on the ramparts, the commissar's pulse was thudding like it had only just begun, his hand and arm shaking significantly, before he clamped it back by his side and gripped the chair edge again. Yorke flinched visibly as he fought his own body's fight or flight response back down for the umpteenth time that day

"It doesn't stop." he spoke quietly, "It's been worse every-" Cat glanced around and tried to gauge how many people could hear. For a moment he considered leaving entirely.
"-Every time I go out there, and come back. Every time someone gets hurt on my watch." Yorke visibly stopped himself from speaking further. Commissars were supposed to be infallible, and what little sense of that he had left, jammed him from blurting his problems out in the middle of a waiting room.

"You got shot." he whispered, plainly confused, "I saw you."

Fates End

Postby Fates End » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:21 am

She felt his pulse. It was entirely too fast. Too fast by far for sitting. His admission to her struck a chord in her mind, a small protected corner somewhere in the back of her head lit up with a feeling she tried to normally ration.

Empathy.

Her eyes clouded with a mixture of emotions as she tried to decide on a course of action. He'd seen her get hit . . . would he demand she get treatment? That was irksome. Adopted or not, she was of Krieg. And in this situation her wounds could wait while others were tended to.

She could still move, yes? It hurt, of course. And she could feel the wounds steadily draining her. But she was excellent at faking it when she had to. How could he know that? Would anyone expect a Krieger to pretend not to be hurt? Sheer madness, Kriegers were without guile. Or so it was thought.

A simple lie would make it better. Maybe it would even help. Assure his doubts and allow him to calm down. She too had seen him, a moment that wasn't meant to be seen. But she already knew Commissars were human, though she'd be loathe to admit it. He was in pain, it was obvious. Not a pain she was terribly good at helping with. But maybe in a situation like this, it was better to know one was not alone. And besides, Kriegers were supposed to sacrifice for others, yes?

The Krieger Medicae nodded solemnly, willing herself for just a moment to let the walls come down, iif only for a moment. Her air of confidence and surety slowly melted away, like armor retracting. She let the exhaustion building in her system show, finally. Even the act of pulling down the facade was tiring, all the aches and pains making themselves known thrice over and with a vengeance. Body-parts that had been told to leave a message were now all screaming at her at once and demanding she sit down and try not to keel over.

The ghost of a smile graced her lips again, conspiratorial for just a moment even as her eyes grew tired and her hand scrabbled on his good shoulder to steady herself. "I was hit." She half-lifted the bandage from over her eye to show the still untreated wound in its gory details. The shrapnel had dug in deep in multiple spots in her cheek, the eye above bloodshot and her skin covered in dust and oozing blood. "But I am Krieg. I'll get looked to once those more important are healed first." She could stop right there. Just stop. He'd probably send her to get looked to, a failure on her part for causing the Commissar greater concern.

"It helps to talk about it."

The words surprised even her as they left her mouth. But by then there was nothing for it. "We can only protect and save so many people. For the ones that we can't . . . there's ways to . . ." She should really just stop, she barely knew what she was talking about. But she had a way to deal with it, didn't she? There was only so much a person could take before snapping and she felt like she'd snapped a thousand times. But here she was, standing yet again. "It helps to talk about." She repeated somewhat lamely. "It's what I do."
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement."

(Fates now has too many characters to link easily. Thus follow this handy link to my character thread and go wild. Character List of Doom

CyGamer

Postby CyGamer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:06 am

Krast looked up to the the new red blob. He wasn’t too sure but he didn’t think he was dead yet, cause everything still hurt. But why the bucket?
blinddeadmcjones wrote:immediately she put a compress in place on his side and improvised a tourniquet, one of her 'dendrites wrapping around the bleeding limb and squeezing tightly while her other bionics wrapped around krasts abdomen in the same fashion, also rotating the man onto his side in the process.

His teeth gnashed as Cheslocks dendrites wrapped around his arm and side. Definitely not dead. He felt himself being turned, and tried to help by pushing himself over, but his arm just wouldn’t move. As he lay on his side, breath now shallow from fresh bursts of pain, he saw all the blood on the sheets. Wow...was that his?
Stabbing the detox in his shoulder and placing the bucket by his face.

He felt a prick on his back, and wanted to turn over to see but just couldn’t. Summoning a bit of energy, he turned his head to his caretaker.

“Thanks. Been waiting here for a while, started to think you guys were out for lunch.” He have a small chuckle, before his stomach started roiling. He grabbed the bucket and hunched over as vomit and blood spewed out. Oh, that’s why the bucket...
Cy Character Chart
Who says the future has to be grimdark? Matt Ward that's who.

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:18 am

Mari paused briefly to find what scarf Halvus was referring to but then realized that it was likely the bloody rag that was acting as a bandage. She set her tools down to take a moment to carefully undo the bandage; being sure to minimize any chance of reopening any wounds. She set the scarf on a nearby tray, whole if not having some chunks of dead flesh stuck to it, before continuing her work. By the time she finished getting off the dead skin and going over it with some rubbing alcohol (this was too serious to use other forms) the orderly returned with skin graft material. With the dead skin removed Halvus could very much feel the burn of the alcohol.

“We are going to apply the grafts now. Please do your best to not move,” Mari said.

Not waiting for a reply, Mari took up the tools and began quietly praying psalms of healing and speedy recovery as she put over the first grafts and gels. It was a cool, almost numbing feeling that quickly went away as the material warmed. After waiting the appropriate seconds that the ritual demanded she scanned over the grafts with a strange, bright handheld light before repeating the whole process over again, her arm feeling weirder as the pain became duller the more she rebuilt the Lieutenant’s skin.

Order of the Shed Tear

Tabitha Maru

Postby Tabitha Maru » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:04 am

With the Hospitaller getting to work on the lieutenant and the orderlies supporting her, Tabitha felt a little redundant and under foot. So she put the lieutenant's equipment down in a small empty space that one of the orderlies indicated was okay and backed away from the operation. A little relieved she wouldn't have to watch as the sister began peeling the lieuetnant's burnt skin off (the very idea made her skin crawl).

Instead she made her way over to the person she had actually come to visit. She carefully walked up to the side of the bed and spoke softly as to not wake him if he had already fallen asleep.

"Hey Joseph. Are you awake? I dropped your backpack off with your people... they told me to tell you to get better soon for them."
Private Tabitha Maru Image Image - Lieutenant Yudel Eckhardt

Character sheets

Thanks to blinddeadmcjones for the avatar