Warhammer Discussion: For Newbs and Pros Alike

For anything else, questions, discussion, etc.
Techpriest Dave

Postby Techpriest Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:31 am

Commissar Cat wrote:...I'm just here to watch the eighteen year old explain the 80/90s gaming industry to people based on what he's read on 40K Wiki and 1d4chan. :?

I don't know shit about the 90/80s gaming industry and I only got to 1d4chan for a laugh. I've said it before and I'll say it again, site is good for a chuckle not information.
Though, a bit of it comes from a old guy whose been playing 40k/fantasy since then. Nice dude really.

There's no point contributing anything when one half of the conversation has his fingers in his ears.
I admire the dedication people put into showing their knowledge of the lore here, but I'm just commenting on the futility.

Sorry if I come off like that sometimes. I can get a little intense when defending my side of a debate. :?

The moral is, any fluff should be taken with a grain of salt.

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:56 am

Mhm. I think it's kind of like how any comics writer thinks they can write Batman or the Joker, but because they've existed for so long, there's a billion iterations and variations and no definitive character. Just tons of different writers thinking they're correct.

Ironically the less there is on a subject (say, one instance in a book), the easier it is to be accurate. :S

Warsmith Wolf

Postby Warsmith Wolf » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:29 am

Commissar Cat wrote:
Warsmith Wolf wrote:If you're not going to contribute helpful data to the discussion, don't sit there and sass.
There's no point contributing anything when one half of the conversation has his fingers in his ears..
Then don't. Idle snark's not helpful and it's not going to make the other side remove those fingers.
Ferrum honore veniat.
Personal blog
List of characters

TheRedauthar

Postby TheRedauthar » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Commissar Cat wrote:I'm just saying they're not getting errata'd away like Squats did, not that their treatment is fair.

They've survived since Rogue Trader and have become a serious part of the iconography and background of the setting... While GW may not have certainty about handling them, it's very different to quietly removing something with less than ten years of history under its belt.

Not to disagree, but it didn't stop a good chunk of Warhammer Fantasy from being ...ahem... "squatted". Arguably Tomb Kings and Bretonnia were some of the most popular factions (note: I'm also including non-playable factions so number are a bit higher than just playable) and they were removed for ...some reason... in Age of Sigmar. And it isn't really a lore reason as the fluff implies Tomb Kings and Bretonnians could still be around.

Now I'm still relatively new to Warhammer in general, and I honestly, I know probably nothing about the overall ....well if you can call it a storyline, it's really more of a setting... of 40K. But I do know I don't see Squats, Praetorian Guards, or Sly Marbo (is that his name?) as available to buy but I see them appear quiet often as "popular". It's still possible that Sisters COULD disappear.

Truthfully though, I figured they're more likely to be Merged into one of the other factions. Kinda like how their Codex for 7th was a merged codex. Like I said, I'm not disagreeing, but rather saying I can see where those players are coming form.

Cause I played Bretonnia....and my back up was Tomb Kings.....

Techpriest Dave

Postby Techpriest Dave » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 pm

People like to say that bret and TKs were removed to make more room for sigmarines.
GW saw how popular SM were doing (referring to other imperial factions as "non space marine factions") and decided to put some in fantasy. Drew people in well enough.

TheRedauthar

Postby TheRedauthar » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Hey, Sigmarines are pretty awesome. I love their armor and shield designs.

But I'm a sucker for the rank and file characters. The Free Guilds (Empire) just have more character to me. Kinda like the IG ahs to Space Marines.

Drocol Ritter von Krieg

Postby Drocol Ritter von Krieg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:37 am

Hm.. been snooping around and found...

The Severan Dominate.

The Romans of Warhammer 40k Universe.

Space Romans, if you will.

Despite their status, they’ve managed withstand a lot of punishment from all four parties in the Spinward Front and manages to withstand all of it. It’s pretty admirable.

Also, their Armed Forces have frakking Gladius’ and their Armour looks so cool.

Zink

Postby Zink » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:06 am

Yeah they're pretty neat. It's a shame secessionists nabbed this aesthetic so well, and an even greater shame they're in the Calixis Sector.

Johannes Wyss von Krieg

Postby Johannes Wyss von Krieg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:02 am

I thought the Romans of 40K were the Ultrasmurfs...

Zink

Postby Zink » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Greek/Roman hybrids, yeah, but these guys definitely nailed it on the human side of factions.

TheRedauthar

Postby TheRedauthar » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:26 am

Didn't Only War create them?

Fairemont

Postby Fairemont » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:02 pm

TheRedauthar wrote:Didn't Only War create them?

It was that or Dark Heresy 2.
- Aenaria, the Freeblade Ragnarok
- M’yen, Shas’vre of La'rua Mon'ket
- Tenoch, the Ancient One

Nevaraon

Postby Nevaraon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Fairemont wrote:
TheRedauthar wrote:Didn't Only War create them?

It was that or Dark Heresy 2.

I really regret not buying it while it was still in print. When it was only like $70

Urban SHark

Postby Urban SHark » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:31 am

Does anyone know if (cave) squigs can have rules in 40k, or some equivalent counts-as? I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I don't have access to the discord at this point in the day, and I need to know before I go about ordering some.

LaxKnight

Postby LaxKnight » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:01 pm

I personally don't know but I asked in Discord.
Apparently, I made too many characters. Here they are:

LaxKnight's Character Hub