[Open] Commissariat Office Block - Commissar Yorke - Adjutant Vayne

Anywhere within the IG perimeter
Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:03 pm

"Thank you, corporal." Cat nodded to Luca and then gave Marida his full attention once more. There were a lot of words to listen to, and he tried very had to retain them as they came in.
Rather than stand illuminated in the bathroom doorway, he stepped over to his desk and rested an arm on the edge.
"I... don't remember a lot of what happened in the previous mission." he met the piercing stare with a calm one. The expression of a tired man with nothing to prove, "I didn't even know that Levi was hurt other than breaking up some minor fracas with him and the same bloody Krieger. Fothergill Scott was CO for that deployment."

The commissar rubbed his eyes, and picking up a glass, walked to the sink and filled it one handed, then turned back to face Beckett again properly.
"Like Neskovich was CO today. But I'm assuming you came to me rather than either of them them, because of the three, you feel I'm the least likely to tell you to fuck off."
Cat sipped the water and examined the desk for the drugs Luca had brought back, "Because we both know most other officers and Commissars would have."

"Can you see a paper bag somewhere?" he murmured a little distractedly, "Sister gave me stuff to take."

"Did Slone tell you what he was doing when the lizard was injured?" Yorke drank a little more as he looked, the water was good and cooling on his throat.

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:08 am

"i'm more than aware of who was C.O during either mission" the sargeant replied "likewise i have already spoken with both officers and i am also quite aware of both corporal slones actions and behaviour along with the company he keeps, hence why he is on disciplinary review for brandishing a weapon in Leftenant Neskoviches direction. the issue isn't with Neskvoich or Fothergill-Scott, for the common denominator in both instances is that you were acting commissar for both operations, and thus all of their orders were ultimately vetted by you."

there was a pause at first as yorkes request appeared to go unheeded, before she relented and started looking around for a moment for the bag in question, eventually finding it and tossing the bag onto yorkes' desk

"now, i ask again, what are you playing at? what was so important that it necessitated a search party being launched on incredibly short notice despite our lack of resources with virtually zero recon to verify that what was being searched for actually existed?"

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:59 am

"Thanks." Yorke half caught the paper bag and carefully scattered the contents loose onto the desk.
"You can ask as many times as you like, sergeant, but you're not entitled to demand answers from a commissar." he picked out a dose and downed it, along with some of his drink, not yet looking at Marida as he concentrated on washing down the chalky medicine, "We both know that. You're relying on what you assume is my better nature. I pray you do not explore the limits of that assumption."

Cat shrugged, "Look, I won't patronise you by asking you to change your tone, but I will ask before I spend any energy... What is it you truly want out of coming in here?" he turned from the desk and regarded Beckett fully, his expression friendly enough, "You just looking for someone to vent at? Or do you want to listen to the answers?"

Yorke shrugged again, "Because I am more than willing to help you, but I'm not here in place of a whipping boy. You have an actual gym tent and subordinates if you're in that kind of mood."

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Marida's eyebrow twitched as she fought down the urge to vault the desk and throttle yorke, his insistence on trying her patience while claiming to not be patronising without a hint or irony infuriated her to no end, if i wanted a whipping boy i wouldn't be talking, she thought, she just couldn't understand how someone could be so deliberately obtuse and blase when the garrisons position was as precarious as it was. despite that and her loathing for stupid games that political officers like to play she bit her tongue to avoid the obvious baiting into firing off a venomous retort, she had seen how far the likes of aesteban had gotten by sounding off in such a fashion and had no desire to fall into the same trap.

"how familiar are you with life on a deathworld?" she began "i'll skip to the point, there are a few things you learn very quickly growing up in such a place, namely that you aren't going to survive very long by yourself so you need the help of others, if you want that help you then you have to pull your weight, and - most importantly - for the group to survive, everyone has to be on the same page. those who don't take their responsibilities seriously -your so called better nature- are what gets people killed and puts the survival of the entire group at risk." pausing she turned away from facing yorke and walked over to look out the window. "you know as well as i and everyone else that we are on our own here, beset on all sides by the tau, rebels, and the unseen sons, so we cannot afford to sit back and hold the line waiting for reinforcements that quite frankly aren't coming, nor can we squander what little we do have on frivolous wild grox chases, we need a plan of action if we are to survive."

she turned her head to look back at yorke, her bionic eye whirring as it adjusted and refocused "so if you actually have a plan that will improve everyone's chances of getting out of this mess, and aren't the bumbling idiot that the garrison thinks you are, then spill it, cos i am tired of being left in the dark without a plan and not knowing who can be relied upon. or was vouching for you over Dimettrio's accusations a mistake?"

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:26 am

"Mistake? Rather depends on why you did that." Cat inclined his head slightly, "If you did it because you believed me, then you're good. If you did it to twist Dimettrio's nose? Then possibly it was a mistake. Aesteban is a child, but a very dangerous child who bears grudges. His entire accusation was manufactured because of a prank that his ego couldn't handle." he held out his hand, "I don't know about you, but I am not equipped to deal with the kind of brain that takes a joke badly, and then turns that into conspiring to get two of your fellow Imperials hung for treason."

Yorke blinked for a second, leaning back on the desk a little, and tried to unbundle the conversation. He wasn't entirely sure what was being asked, his head was still muddy, and the question seemed buried.
"We were... Ordered out in a hurry today because command didn't know what was in that wagon, and the initial signal was unprotected." he considered his words, trying to answer, "Leaving it any longer wasn't considered acceptable to higher command, due to rebels and Tau also receiving the broadcast. From the identification codes, logistics knew it wasn't a straight trap. But we had no idea if it was something that could be used against us... Or used against the population and made to look like us."
He frowned at the idea, "The main load turned out to be a fully armed sentinel walker. In Imperial markings, with a truck full of occupation propaganda... It would have been a disaster if the Tau had gotten hold of that and used it in the city. We could be back to square one trying to gain any foothold with the locals."

The commissar drained his glass, and looked at it for a moment, as though judging whether it had been a good idea to do so. The soft gurgling in his stomach suggested it had been, and he stood to get another refill.
"My hands are tied on what I can and can't say about Holt's plans here. I don't even know if the lack of information coming down the chain is deliberate, disorganisation or there's just an assumption everyone already knows what's going on." running the tap and letting the water pass over his fingers to gauge temperature, Cat shrugged, "I personally think it's a raw deal because it hardly builds faith in command."

He watched the water rise in the glass, before cutting the flow again, and turning to face Marida, "But, I can tell you that there's plans for a meeting with the PDF who assisted us. They're going to return what they found, and then there's talk of potentially..." Cat's brow knitted, and he stared at the glass for a few long seconds, before closing his eye and murmuring, "...finding my words is hard, and they don't want to come out."
Looking a little greyer than when he first emerged from the shower, Yorke blinked and tried to link back to the train of thought, "It'd be a good idea to make peace with that branch and start workin' together locally. To talk it out, civil like."

Archer

Postby Archer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:59 pm

Luca had retrieved the spare uniform and began the walk back towards the office, the Commissar uniform carefully cradled in his arms humming as he slowly plodded along. In no rush to return to the argument he did know he had to go back and try to help stop the argument. He had no idea how he was going to do that but he'd think of something, he hoped.

Knocking at the door he entered quietly trying not to pick a side, better to listen again and gauge how things were progressing and try to help end it in favor of neither party. "Commissar I got your spare uniform." He answered crossing the room bringing the Commissar his change of clothes. He added offering him the clothes and more importantly the keys Luca had been careful the whole trip clean clothes would probably make the officer feel better.

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:33 am

marida remained silent as she heard yorkes reply, carefully weighing each sentence along with the implications of what had been said

"the PDF." she eventually uttered after a long silence "your plan is to work with the remnants of the PDF that remained loyal." and were too incompetent to notice that they had been infiltrated by the enemy until it was too late. she kept the last part to herself, her brow knitting for a moment before her features relaxed slightly.

"and you're certain that this will really work out and is the best path forward?"

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:25 am

Yorke paused, "Certainty is the first step towards getting your arse kicked by the unexpected. So no." he sipped his water and cleared his throat a little, "I'm ...confident that we have enough options to explore that we can make it work. If we make good with the PDF, they are our foothold into wider Naris. And the start of a better relationship with the civilians. If the PDF turn out to be uncooperative or incompetent, we need only tolerate it long enough to begin placing the right people in the right positions."

The commissar placed his drink down and accepted the clothing from Luca, "Thank you corporal, you've been very good about this. Go get some rest, I'll be okay sleeping this off." he smiled, and gestured to the office bunk, which while buried under a few stacks of papers, looked adequate.

Cat turned back to Beckett, "We have nobody inside the PDF, but we do have resources they desperately need. We know they would open the doors to that aid, it may even blind them to what the other hand is holding, for a time."
He shrugged on a shirt from the pile of laundry, and snapped the front closed with a series of clicks.

"It doubles our eyes and ears on the ground, while not entirely doubling the workload. It just needs to be handled with soft gloves, we want them to feel it's free will, after all."

Archer

Postby Archer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:24 am

Luca nodded then paused a moment. "Forgive me for speaking out of place perhaps, so you extend an olive branch in one hand, as a show of faith... And keep a knife in your other if they refuse it?" The Lucifer Black was trying to make sure he understood how Cat was explaining the situation, things were dangerous with PDF since it was hard to know who to trust and who not to.

Of course, Luca wanted to help the locals, he knew locals wouldn't trust off worlders... He'd served on a planet that saw millions a day arriving to see Terra and he knew no one who wanted the offworlders around but it wasn't their call to make so the Lucifer Blacks just grumbled. Occasionally gave anyone lacking enough documentation a hard time before the Arbites arrived and either charged them, fined them, or let them go.

"The doctor said to stay with you Cat... And no offense but a Sister of Battle is not someone whose commands I'm going to ignore." Luca answered as he returned to the seat by the door. "I could end up getting chewed out and I'm sure she can be scary when she wants too."

Commissar Cat

Postby Commissar Cat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 am

"Fine, enjoy the excitement of watching me nap, Luca." Cat rolled his good eye and smiled.
"No, no knife. If they don't want our help, then we certainly cannot force them to take it. " the commissar shook his head gently, "But they will starve without us eventually. The sooner they take our assistance, the more it feels like their decision, and not coming to us to beg for scraps."

blinddeadmcjones

Postby blinddeadmcjones » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:21 am

a good ten minutes passed before marida responded to this extra detail, giving a simple "i see" as a reply before turning to leave, she still had her doubts about this plan, it wasn't exactly the best plan but it was better than nothing

"well, if it comes to a head that you need assistance from my regiment for this plan of yours, you'd be best served speaking to Leftenant Claudia Halvus first, that said be wary of accepting any personal assistance from her, the Leftenant tends to interpret orders and instructions given to her...very creatively." with nothing more to say the sargeant gave a quick thumb salute of the aquilia and left